Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good News: Found a Peyton Manning Playoff Win OUTSIDE

Default Good News: Found a Peyton Manning Playoff Win OUTSIDE

In fact, it's pretty much the best case scenario for us: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0401110kan.htm

Not only did Mannings team win a playoff game outside, and not only was it (obviously) on the road, but the temperature was 40° and the opponent was (wait for it) the Kansas City Chiefs. Granted, Vermeils Chiefs were pretty much the mirror image of the current team (as some may recall, the game in question is the infamous Puntless Playoff,) but it CAN be done. Despite the weather (40° with a 16 mph wind) Manning was a very Manning-like 22/30 for 304 yds, 3 TDs and 0 Ints. "The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die."

Or maybe this game's evidence that equally infamous <40° stat on Manning is a Texas Sharpshooter Effect. Eleven of his playoff games were at home, all but one in Indys dome. Two more were at Super Bowl sites partly chosen (till now) for favorable weather conditions (though SB XLI was a strong argument they shouldn't even be held outside: No snow, but plenty of rain; I think there were more turnovers than the also infamous Cowboys-Colts Blunder Bowl.) One was in Miami, and another in San Diego, so that leaves a total of SIX games.

One was @Baltimore the year he won SB XLI, but the temperature was in the mid-fifties. That leaves just five others:

2002: 41-0 Wildcard loss @NY, who lost in the next round
    2003: 38-31 Divisional win @Kansas City (linked game)
    2003: 24-14 AFCCG loss @NE, who "won" the SB
    2004: 20-3 Divisional loss @NE, who "won" the SB
    2012: 38-35 Divisional loss hosting Baltimore, who won the SB (though that seemed a foregone conclusion once Stabby McGee announced retirement and the NFL chose to give him a Ring as a going away present.)

Four of those games were losses, but ONE was a WIN—it just happens to have been played at the magical cutoff temperature of 40°, below which "Peyton Manning has never won a playoff game." Not that 1-4 is a great record, but only last years frigid loss was at home (so the home team had the edge in all the rest) and three of those teams were SB winners (under highly dubious circumstances, yet even if that taints their wins it means neither Peyton Manning nor anyone else could stop them.) 1-4 is only "rarely" though; arbitrarily cutting off that one win allows commentators to definitively say, "NEVER!"

Unfortunately, it's just not "definitive" when we fit the data to our curve. Not when we look at all the great RBs who had lots of carries one year, focus on the ones whose careers promptly tanked thereafter then choose the lowest number of season carries by any of them to say, "every back who had 370 carries in a year was never good again." And not when we say "Petyon Manning's lost ALL his cold weather playoff games, except those he won." 54° isn't exactly balmy, but if we say, "playoff games <60°" Manning's 2-6 (again, all but one was on the road.)

Put another way, falling two miles is hardly an ideal scenario, but we must say, "no one has EVER survived a fall of >5.5 miles" because according to the Guinness Book of World Records a Serbian flight attendant DID survive a fall of slightly >5 miles when a bomb exploded on her plane in 1972. We certainly shouldn't say "3 miles" because three WWII bomber crewmen each in separate incidents) survived that, and "just under 2 miles" is out of the question, because a German HS student survived THAT after he plane was struck by lightning feel apart in 1971.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulovi%C4%87

None of that means a fall of "only" 1 mile is invariably survived OR that a fall of >5.5 miles is invariably fatal. From ANY height, the human body reaches (but never exceeds) ~130 mph after just a few hundred feet, but terminal velocity is usually (if not ALWAYS) something of a double entendre. Peyton Manning had NEVER lost a game when he led by 22 pts (presumably because he lost at least one after leading by 21) and Brady had NEVER come back from 24 pts down (most likely because, well, you get the idea)—until each did both Sunday.

The 40° playoff quote isn't a statistical certainty ("statistical certainty" is practically a contradiction in terms) it's an artifact, more like a record: No one has ever thrown more than 50 TDs in a season, because that's how many Brady had just six years ago. Records are made to be broken though. The stat's more like a probability, but the last three years have DOUBLED the number of 24 pt second half comebacks (our games alone have featured two) so Win Probability has seen some adjustments, too. Win Probability gets adjusted after every game, really.

If we want a stat we can take to the bank we'll have to settle for something like "Peyton Manning has NEVER won a playoff game after the gun." Then again, neither has anyone else. Does the NFL even use a gun anymore? I can't remember the last time I heard one. If not, I guess that would make it even harder to overcome the stat. None of that means Peyton will win his next freezing playoff game; that's up to him, his teammates, his coaches and, unfortunately, his opponents. He's not guaranteed to lose it though, and a friendly crowd can't hurt his chances.

Ray Lewis Tribute Video included as a bonus:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj2dmQruJXs
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

:tumbleweed:
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

3. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

I'd have thought you'd be thrilled; it's not only a positive post, but raises serious problems with the oft-quoted "PFM's never won a playoff game <40°" "stat."
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

dude, give it an effin' rest already. . .

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Joel is a more coherent but equally nutty version of Superchop.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:

Why he doesnt just admit he despised the Broncos is still a mystery.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Joel reminds me of this line from the Big Lebowski:
    ".........or El-Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing"
    Let's Rid3!!!!

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Brevity is brilliance, simplicity is supreme and less is more

I dont mind Joels posts, but I usually dont have time to read them

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Why he doesnt just admit he despised the Broncos is still a mystery.
    Um, because it's not true? I don't have to hero worship everyone who ever donned an orange jersey (even if he spent most of his career repeatedly humiliating us) just to like the team.

Really though, this is ridiculous: I don't think there's a single negative word about Manning in that whole post, yet it's somehow Manning- and Bronco-bashing? Did ya'll just ASSUME what I said instead of reading it? 'Cause I know that happens a lot, though I've never understood why it's MY failing. It's OK; I'm confident someone will come by to tell me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

Really though, this is ridiculous: I don't think there's a single negative word about Manning in that whole post, yet it's somehow Manning- and Bronco-bashing? Did ya'll just ASSUME what I said instead of reading it? 'Cause I know that happens a lot, though I've never understood why it's MY failing. It's OK; I'm confident someone will come by to tell me.
    gimme a break. . . you know exactly what you're doing, and so does everyone else. . .

don't try to act coy. . .

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I found this last week and started a post to rebuttal one of the long diatribes about Manning's ineffectiveness in the cold.

Decided it wasn't worth the effort.

17. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

tl;dr
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived powderaddict For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I found this last week and started a post to rebuttal one of the long diatribes about Manning's ineffectiveness in the cold.

Decided it wasn't worth the effort.
    Guess you were right.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    gimme a break. . . you know exactly what you're doing, and so does everyone else. . .

don't try to act coy. . .
    Yes, I do know exactly what I'm doing; I did say it outright at the start of the thread. This is as close to a mea culpa as it'll get, but if that's not good enough: Neither my fault nor problem.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

too many words

23. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information