Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Finally Time To Move Champ To Safety

1. Default It's Finally Time To Move Champ To Safety

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHAMP_END.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	3809

The Broncos are one lucky team. They have two all-pro, Hall-of-Fame caliber leaders. Even luckier is that they possess one on each side of the ball. One of them is Super Bowl winning quarterback Peyton Manning and the other is 13 time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey. The latter of the two should switch positions, to safety.

Bailey is 35 years old and can’t seem to shake the foot injury that has plagued him off and on since August 17th when the Broncos played the Seahawks in the preseason. Champ has played a total of six quarters all season - out of ten games.

Recovering from his injury is not the only thing Champ has been slow at.

Take for instance that the last game, at full health, that he’s played was the January 12th, 2012 divisional playoff matchup against the Baltimore Ravens. In that matchup, he didn’t look at all like the Champ we used to know and got beat all night by Torrey Smith. In other words, the last time we saw Champ in a meaningful game, he was a liability. Even against the Jaguars, this year, he was a shell of himself.

Two players who aren’t liabilities are Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Chris Harris. Both are not only better players than an aging Champ Bailey, but are grading out as two of the best corners in all of football. Harris is arguably the most underrated player in the league and has seven interceptions over his first three years and he’s picked up a lot of what he’s learned from Bailey. Rodgers-Cromartie has played amazing all season, shutting down the left side of the field and has showed phenomenal speed and agility.

Moving Champ to safety has the potential to help for the future as well....CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BSN Denver For This Post:

Maybe, but at the same time, do we trust that he can make the conversion to a position that he has NEVER played before...this point in the season????? How many plays has he diagnosed from that position? We've seen EXPERIENCED safeties make bad reads and reacts...what about a guy that is watching the game through CB eyes? Woodson was as good of a corner as they come, but a TERRIBLE safety. So it doesn't just always come as this "easy transition" that so many seem to believe.

To me, you can't possibly change him at this stage of the season, and then going into next year, we can't afford to keep his salary.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Uh oh....lol
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Champ had an awesome year last year, then one week later he had a bad game. Did he suddenly age over the course of that week? Sure, at this age he heals slower, but I think we need to let him get healthy before we judge him. He obviously came back too soon, meaning he now has to listen to the nay-sayers. My hope is we get him healthy...truly healthy...before the playoffs begin.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived dab For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    Champ had an awesome year last year, then one week later he had a bad game. Did he suddenly age over the course of that week? Sure, at this age he heals slower, but I think we need to let him get healthy before we judge him. He obviously came back too soon, meaning he now has to listen to the nay-sayers. My hope is we get him healthy...truly healthy...before the playoffs begin.
    Great post, and welcome to Broncos Forums

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Ahhhh shit, Zam has taken over the Spano Network. May God have mercy on your souls!!

10. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

I think Champ could be as good as Rod Woodson was when he made the switch, IF, he can get healthy. I'd love to see it. If he decides to hang 'em up, I can respect that too.

12. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I think Champ could be as good as Rod Woodson was when he made the switch, IF, he can get healthy. I'd love to see it. If he decides to hang 'em up, I can respect that too.
    Same. I really dont think it would be that much of a problem for him.

Or he could make the transition like Charles Woodson, which is NOT good.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

15. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Switching Champ Bailey to safety will magically heal his foot.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Woodson played excellent in Green Bay when their young corners took over and Woodson was able to be more of a rover and Dom Capers used him that way. Charles Woodson this year on the Raiders, yeah, he hasn't done much.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Switching Champ Bailey to safety will magically heal his foot.

Who said that, Mo?

What a dumb post.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

I would tend to think Champ has the smarts to make the transition fairly smoothly.

DRC, Harris, Webster & even recently Jammer have been playing well at CB. S is now a much bigger need. If Champ is healthy enough to play, put him where he will make the biggest difference. I see that as S, but I'll be happy to see him back in any capacity!
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived powderaddict For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

I dont doubt Champs ability to transition but I am more worried that his foot will never be the same. A healthy Champ is really what we need to see first.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I dont doubt Champs ability to transition but I am more worried that his foot will never be the same. A healthy Champ is really what we need to see first.
    Absolutely. A safety with all the smarts in the world isn't going to help us if he can't run.

25. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information