Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Finally Time To Move Champ To Safety

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by powderaddict View Post
    A reasonable argument for putting Champ at S is that the current CB's we have are doing a bang-up job, where as S has become a bit of a concern recently.

If he can play the position and provide an upgrade, I don't see why it's such a terrible idea to consider it. I'm not saying it should happen, but if he's healthy enough to play he might be able really strengthen that position.
    Denver gets stronger defensively with Harris and Webster playing inside and Champ playing his normal position, than it does putting a player at a position he's never played before.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Think about this for a second, Slim.

You're watching the draft, and the Broncos are up with Pick No. 32, and Mel Kiper's analysis of the safety they are about to take is, "well, he plays safety because he's not fast enough to be a cornerback."

What sort of sense does that make?
    That is actually the case in MANY situations. Safeties don't have to make the quick change change of directions, the pivot of the hips, or the flat out speed that corners do. They don't really have to cover more area, but do have the advantage of seeing the QB before/as he's throwing the ball. Not to mention, the safety has the "extra" time of ball flight to react to the correct direction of ball flight that a corner doesn't have.

Its why Safeties can be bigger than corners, on many occasions. They have the long legs to cover ground, but aren't nearly as fast nor as quick (not to mention having the size helps with run support) as the outside guys.

I agree with what you are saying. Moving a player mid-season to a position he's never played bfore doesn't make sense to me. If we were at the END of this season and were talking about moving him NEXT year, I would be on board with the idea of giving him a shot, because I don't believe he has the quickness, or speed, to be a corner anymore.

But we can't/won't spend the money to stick around...even with his voted all-pro selection.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Terrell Davis

I don't think it's the time to move Champ to safety and I still think that this discussion is a little premature. For his position, he can tackle so I think that attribute would transition well in a move to safety. However, I'm not entirely comfortable with our current corners like others on here. I'm encouraged, but not comfortable. I think Adams can maintain the position (and Bruton, if necessary) until Moore gets back for the playoffs.

When I started reading about Moore's injury, I started thinking of Quinton Carter. We sure could use him right now and I'm hoping we haven't seen his last down in the NFL.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I would tend to think Champ has the smarts to make the transition fairly smoothly.

DRC, Harris, Webster & even recently Jammer have been playing well at CB. S is now a much bigger need. If Champ is healthy enough to play, put him where he will make the biggest difference. I see that as S, but I'll be happy to see him back in any capacity!
    Pretty much. If he's healthy and can still play up to par at CB than great but if not and the team thinks he can contribute at safety i dont see a problem with it. I would rather get 2-3 years with him at safety with a better chance at getting a ring than just have him retire after the year in case we dont make it. I dont think its bad to consider it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I didn't realize that since my opinion is opposite of the premise of this article, that I was not allowed to voice it.

Next time, a disclaimer would be appreciated on which threads are debates, and which ones are for those who only share the same opinion.

I will back away, and not point out the 10 reasons not to move him, so that you can all discuss moving him without dissention.

No one is saying you cant voice it MO, but you were being a bit of a dickhole about it.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Safety does not require the same speed/quickness that CB does. Do I really need to explain this to you?
    Very very true.

I played safety and since i wasnt the fastest guy it allowed me to survey and scan the field in front of me which i had success doing. Tried DB once and got torched, like a LOT. lol And that was when i was young.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

A reasonable argument for putting Champ at S is that the current CB's we have are doing a bang-up job, where as S has become a bit of a concern recently.
    Oh, how I wish that were true....

Actually, it IS true (except that the safety concern is far from recent:) It's a REASONABLE argument, just not a very POPULAR one around here. There are TONS of reasons this makes sense next year:

1) We're stacked at CB. Even with Carter regressing, Jammer's shown he's got some miles left and rookie Kayvon Webster has stepped up; as long as Tony Carter's our BACKUP DIMEBACK, we're fine.
    2) Safety's far less secure. Even with Dukes emergence, Moore was no worldbeater before injury, but now we're starting a solid but unremarkable Adams who's just a year and a half younger than Champ.
    3) Champs declining speed is less of a liability at safety than at CB, because that extra field he must cover actually gives him more time to react and a better view of the QB and receivers.
    4) The accuracy and speed of his play recognition is essential to good safeties.
    5) So is his firm secure tackling and eagerness to do it even in the running game; the last line of defense can't miss tackles, and Champ rarely does.
    6) The same reaction time that let him make up ground on WRs (and ambush QBs) would be invaluable at safety; QBs couldn't frustrate him by just throwing to another man, because EVERYONE'S the safetys man.
    7) A decade of Pro Bowls means even PFM playcalling won't confuse or fool him often, if at all.

That's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head, but there are so many reasons Champ could finish his career as an elite safety that I usually forget a few. Yet some folks can't think of ANY; weird....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Yeah, you're right, I made a sarcastic post, because the arguments for this never get any better. It's always "he's old. Rod Woodson did it. Move him."

Those reasons aren't good enough reasons to move him to a position he's never played before.

He was an All Pro (That's one of the best 4 cornerbacks in the game) last year. He had a plantar fascitus injury (or however you spell it), came back too soon and wasn't himself. That leads to people saying he's "hit a wall" and "it's time." These are not logical reasons to move anyone to another position they've never played before.

Then there's the mid-season reason. He's prepared all off season and has been in team meetings as a cornerback. So, what should we do with him? Put him at safety.

I haven't heard one sound, logical reason for moving him to safety, ever. So, yes, forgive me if I'm a little sarcastic about it.
    Fair enough.

I think he might, because all I am doing is speculating, might make a good to great free safety because...

He's a stud tackler, always has been.

He can defend TEs. He's got good size and if he can heal, he can run with any of them.

He has excellent ball skills.

He is good at reading a QBs eyes, studies their tendencies, knows a lot of times who is the hot route.

He could diagnose plays playing centerfield maybe a little better if he's in the middle of the field instead of at corner.

I agree that a mid season move would be extremely difficult, even if he gets healthy. He may never, and it turns into a moot point anyways.

12. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Denver gets stronger defensively with Harris and Webster playing inside and Champ playing his normal position, than it does putting a player at a position he's never played before.
    So we know in the games he has played that he is too slow. That is probably due to his foot injury, but if he is at the same speed he is a liability as a CB. We are thin at S, if another guy gets hurt we are putting the guy who hasn't played for us in Huff or a special team guy in Bruton in at safety. Maybe if Champ is a half a step slow at CB, he might be fast enough to play safety. Yea, he hasn't played there before and Huff might be a better choice, but unless his foot heals and he regains that half-step, he isn't playing CB again for us unless there are some injuries.

14. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

A safety covers a lot more ground, so I guess I'm not sure I buy that. The quick-twitch type of movements, sure, but speed is an important part of being a safety.

Considering he was an All Pro the last time he was on the field and healthy, I'm not sure what "wall" he's hit, anyway.
    Speed is important, but elite speed is not necessary for a safety. Too me Bailey no longer has elite speed. I am basing that off of the end of last year and what little I have seen this year.

Frankly I don't want to see him back at CB this year. I would love for him to come back and prove me wrong, but he is not going to play CB forever, MO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Speed is important, but elite speed is not necessary for a safety. Too me Bailey no longer has elite speed. I am basing that off of the end of last year and what little I have seen this year.

Frankly I don't want to see him back at CB this year. I would love for him to come back and prove me wrong, but he is not going to play CB forever, MO.
    I really think he is done at CB unless there are some injuries.

17. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I really think he is done at CB unless there are some injuries.
    I do too. It sucks it has to end like this for him, which one reason I hope they give him a try at safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I said that.

This debate, as much as I think it is stupid (and it's pretty ******* stupid), .
    Your opinion on the matter is a good indication that it should happen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Players should have to run a 40 every year and have it made public. It would help the fans in deciding what position someone should be playing. lol
    If I am not mistaken, Darrel Green was still fast at the end and I think he played to 42.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Players should have to run a 40 every year and have it made public. It would help the fans in deciding what position someone should be playing. lol
    If I am not mistaken, Darrel Green was still fast at the end and I think he played to 42.
    Yea, but Green isnt the norm. Dude was a freak of nature.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information