Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Finally Time To Move Champ To Safety

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Who said that, Mo?

What a dumb post.
    I said that.

This debate, as much as I think it is stupid (and it's pretty ******* stupid), is moot until Bailey's foot is completely healed. He couldn't perform safety duties any better than he could perform cornerback duties, because he's hurt.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

If Champ is on the field I'm going ahead and assuming he was cleared by the Dr's and ran in practice.

I doubt anyone believes a gimpy Champ who can't run should be on the field.
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I said that.

This debate, as much as I think it is stupid (and it's pretty ******* stupid), is moot until Bailey's foot is completely healed. He couldn't perform safety duties any better than he could perform cornerback duties, because he's hurt.
    But it's not even a debate. Zam isn't here. We are rational people speculating that a healthy Champ Bailey in the twilight of his career might make a good free safety.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

But it's not even a debate. Zam isn't here. We are rational people speculating that a healthy Champ Bailey in the twilight of his career might make a good free safety.
    I didn't realize that since my opinion is opposite of the premise of this article, that I was not allowed to voice it.

Next time, a disclaimer would be appreciated on which threads are debates, and which ones are for those who only share the same opinion.

I will back away, and not point out the 10 reasons not to move him, so that you can all discuss moving him without dissention.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Woodson played excellent in Green Bay when their young corners took over and Woodson was able to be more of a rover and Dom Capers used him that way. Charles Woodson this year on the Raiders, yeah, he hasn't done much.
    He wasn't excellent last year, no.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I didn't realize that since my opinion is opposite of the premise of this article, that I was not allowed to voice it.

Next time, a disclaimer would be appreciated on which threads are debates, and which ones are for those who only share the same opinion.

I will back away, and not point out the 10 reasons not to move him, so that you can all discuss moving him without dissention.
    Whoa man. Let's not get carried away here.

You made a stupid sarcastic post about him playing safety would magically heal his foot. Nobody said it would, neither did the article. We know he's hurt.

Lighten up brother. We're on the same team here. You think it's a bad move, state your reasons why.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    He wasn't excellent last year, no.
    He was at one point Rav.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I said that.

Well he has been practicing for a few weeks now. So I guess it makes sense to discuss his return to the field.

Personally I hope they try him at safety. As you know, when a CB hits the wall the decline is very fast. It just seems like now is the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

13. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Well he has been practicing for a few weeks now. So I guess it makes sense to discuss his return to the field.

Personally I hope they try him at safety. As you know, when a CB hits the wall the decline is very fast. It just seems like now is the time.
    I don't follow this logic.

He has hit a wall at one position and cannot perform the position, so changing positions eliminates the wall? Please explain.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I don't follow this logic.

He has hit a wall at one position and cannot perform the position, so changing positions eliminates the wall? Please explain.
    Safety does not require the same speed/quickness that CB does. Do I really need to explain this to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Whoa man. Let's not get carried away here.

You made a stupid sarcastic post about him playing safety would magically heal his foot. Nobody said it would, neither did the article. We know he's hurt.

Lighten up brother. We're on the same team here. You think it's a bad move, state your reasons why.
    Yeah, you're right, I made a sarcastic post, because the arguments for this never get any better. It's always "he's old. Rod Woodson did it. Move him."

Those reasons aren't good enough reasons to move him to a position he's never played before.

He was an All Pro (That's one of the best 4 cornerbacks in the game) last year. He had a plantar fascitus injury (or however you spell it), came back too soon and wasn't himself. That leads to people saying he's "hit a wall" and "it's time." These are not logical reasons to move anyone to another position they've never played before.

Then there's the mid-season reason. He's prepared all off season and has been in team meetings as a cornerback. So, what should we do with him? Put him at safety.

I haven't heard one sound, logical reason for moving him to safety, ever. So, yes, forgive me if I'm a little sarcastic about it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Safety does not require the same speed/quickness that CB does. Do I really need to explain this to you?
    A safety covers a lot more ground, so I guess I'm not sure I buy that. The quick-twitch type of movements, sure, but speed is an important part of being a safety.

Considering he was an All Pro the last time he was on the field and healthy, I'm not sure what "wall" he's hit, anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Think about this for a second, Slim.

You're watching the draft, and the Broncos are up with Pick No. 32, and Mel Kiper's analysis of the safety they are about to take is, "well, he plays safety because he's not fast enough to be a cornerback."

What sort of sense does that make?

Champ could read and react at least as quickly and well from centerfield as he does at the line; if he could drop his man and run the width of the field for an '06 pick, he can do it now. That said, I wouldn't move him midseason, no; the switch isn't as impossible as... certain people suggest, but not instant nor automatic either. Champ's not dumb, and won't be in demand as a starting CB next year, so renegotiating a more manageable contract to retain all our other stars and move him to safety next year makes much sense. THIS year, despite depth at CB and lack at safety, there's a reason we signed two FA safeties this week.
    Last edited by Joel; 11-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

21. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miles

A reasonable argument for putting Champ at S is that the current CB's we have are doing a bang-up job, where as S has become a bit of a concern recently.

If he can play the position and provide an upgrade, I don't see why it's such a terrible idea to consider it. I'm not saying it should happen, but if he's healthy enough to play he might be able really strengthen that position.
    The best powder is pure, dry, light fluffy Colorado powder!

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived powderaddict For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information