Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Down The Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Joel, I honestly don't know WHAT play you are seeing when you see this goal line play, but if you are TRYING to give Dreesen CREDIT , then you are watching it with blinders on. Dreesen is COMPLETELY dominated and pushed 3 yards into the backfield. Thomas could have EASILY done as Dreesen did on this play and you are reaching WAY into your ass to defend Dreesen for your own purposes. Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell us that you don't think Thomas could have done as well as Dreesen on this, seriously? You are trying to tell the "commentator" (and ex football player) that he was WRONG by pointing out the Hali won that battle? Dreesen did NOT win tht match. He did NOT make the block, and he did NOT keep Hali from making the play. Hali didn't make the play because Hali simply didn't see the play. Ball made a VERY Good spin, a NEEDED spin, because Dreesen was BLOWN UP and destroyed.

If you want to use GOOD examples on how Dreesen is "needed" to block, I would suggest you put this one away under lock and key and NEVER bring it out again....because it RUINS your case.

yeah, I've seen you try to use FACT in this sentence and you've proved that what you consider to be "fact" is in FACT.. wrong. I know you are VERY VERY literal.

But let me just say, its a FACT that Dreesen didn't make a good block on Hali, or even a mediocre block on that goal line, and its a FACT that Dreesen would not have beat Berry on the slant.
    It is a FACT Ball went right by Hali, yes? Hali saw Ball spin off of Dreesen; he tried to lunge as Ball went by him for the TD: He just COULDN'T. Because he was locked up with Dreesen. Yes, Hali pushed him back a fair amount, which I never disputed, but "dominated"? If he'd dominated Dreesen he'd have made the tackle, probably would've taken Ball down with the guy supposedly failing to block him at all.

Here's how that would've looked: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ted-by-Angerer THAT'S a defensive lineman dominating a TE blocker, but it's not Joel Dreesen: It's Julius Thomas. So, no, I don't think Thomas would've done as well as Dreesen; Erik Walden's nowhere as good as Tamba Hali, yet Dreesen still blocked better than Thomas.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    It is a FACT Ball went right by Hali, yes? Hali saw Ball spin off of Dreesen; he tried to lunge as Ball went by him for the TD: He just COULDN'T. Because he was locked up with Dreesen. Yes, Hali pushed him back a fair amount, which I never disputed, but "dominated"? If he'd dominated Dreesen he'd have made the tackle, probably would've taken Ball down with the guy supposedly failing to block him at all.

Here's how that would've looked: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ted-by-Angerer THAT'S a defensive lineman dominating a TE blocker, but it's not Joel Dreesen: It's Julius Thomas. So, no, I don't think Thomas would've done as well as Dreesen; Erik Walden's nowhere as good as Tamba Hali, yet Dreesen still blocked better than Thomas.
    Hali DOMINATED Dreesen on that play, PERIOD. COmpletely and TOTALLY dominated him on that play. He pushed Dreesen STRAIGHT back 3 yrrds off the LoS from the SNAP of the ball on a goal line offense. He didn't swim move, he didn't go around him, he fired of the ball and pushed Dreesen STRAIGHT BACK, in 3 steps....as fast as it took for Manning to get Ball the pigskin, Hali was in the backfield. That is DOMINATED and Dreesen Was NOT the reason he didn't make the play. IF THAT is what you THINK a successful block/execution looks like, then you have absolutely NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO business telling people how the OL should "change" things. You have NOOOOOO business telling us who is a better OL between Pears, Harris, or Clark because you are making it VERY VERY obvious that you don't know what a successful block is or is not. Your ability to analyze blocking has zero, zilch, no credibility whatsoever.

you've pulled a Zam on this, and are now just doing what you can to tread and keep your head above water trying justifying a TERRIBLE case for yourself. Almost, but not quite, as bad as your "marino would fail in today's NFL."
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I wouldn't call it a successful block, but not a failure either; again, if you want a FAILED block, check out a MUCH weaker player than Hali shoving back Julius Thomas AND GETTING FREE to force an interception that handed Indy 3 pts. If you want to argue that's worse than getting shoved back a lot BUT holding the block on a play that scored us 7 pts, fine, but my schools math classes taught -3<7.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't say the only reason Hali didn't tackle Ball was because he just didn't see him; that's not just a slam on Dreesen, but on Hali. Hali saw him well enough to reach out a hand as Ball went by, but that's ALL he could do: The other arm was pushing Dreesen, who pushed back enough Hali couldn't just release and slam down Ball. Watch the video again and tell me that's not what happened.

Honestly, the argument's been reduced to "Dreesen only blocked a Pro Bowler slightly better than JT blocked a journeyman, therefore JT is better" and I'M the one rationalizing? I never denied Thomas is a better RECEIVER than Dreesen (though Dreesen IS good, just not at Thomas' level,) but won't sit here debating whether he's a better BLOCKER than Dreesen (or pretty much anyone else.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

I wouldn't call it a successful block, but not a failure either; again, if you want a FAILED block, check out a MUCH weaker player than Hali shoving back Julius Thomas AND GETTING FREE to force an interception that handed Indy 3 pts. If you want to argue that's worse than getting shoved back a lot BUT holding the block on a play that scored us 7 pts, fine, but my schools math classes taught -3<7.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't say the only reason Hali didn't tackle Ball was because he just didn't see him; that's not just a slam on Dreesen, but on Hali. Hali saw him well enough to reach out a hand as Ball went by, but that's ALL he could do: The other arm was pushing Dreesen, who pushed back enough Hali couldn't just release and slam down Ball. Watch the video again and tell me that's not what happened.

Honestly, the argument's been reduced to "Dreesen only blocked a Pro Bowler slightly better than JT blocked a journeyman, therefore JT is better" and I'M the one rationalizing? I never denied Thomas is a better RECEIVER than Dreesen (though Dreesen IS good, just not at Thomas' level,) but won't sit here debating whether he's a better BLOCKER than Dreesen (or pretty much anyone else.)
    No one has debated on whether or not Thomas is as good of a blocker. YOU keep trying to say that the block was successful, and THAT is not just rationalizing, that is BLINDNESS. It's denial. It's absurd. That wasn't a block, it was barely a speedbump. You are using an example of Thomas blocking and having to hold a block longer on a pass play, while Dreesen just had to get in the way for a run (on the 1 yard at that)... and DID NOT DO THAT. Thomas COULD have gotten in the way as much as Dreesen did on that play. Which is the point. ANYONE could have gotten a better block than Dreesen did on that play. Your comparison example is a FAIL, imo.

I get you have to try and hold your position, but you need a better video clip. That was terribl..HORRIBLe...block by Dreesen. Dreadful.

Dreesen is an "ok" receiver. He's not good, and he's not even close. We saw him "attempting" to receive in the Chiefs game.

If your point is the same as it's been for weeks in saying that Dreesen is a "better" blocker....well.. no crap. But he's not such a good blocker that it justifies keeping Dreesen in over Thomas......which is really the point. Even Manning acknowledged that very thing. Sure Thomas has weaknesses, but the weaknesses aren't large compared to the positives that he gives to the scoring potential of our Broncos.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 11-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

If Dreesen didn't get in Halis way, why didn't Hali tackle Ball? Because the three-time Pro Bowler didn't see Ball spin off Dreesens block RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, then go RIGHT BY HIM for the TD? Even though he reached for him but didn't get there? And why didn't he get to a guy right next to him? I'm not calling it a successful block when Dreesen got pushed back that far, but it wasn't a failure either. He looked pretty good blocking against the 'Skins, good enough that's all they expected him to do when he caught that TD pass on 4th and G.

If you want an example other than KC, try page 1 of the thread: Dreesen blocking a Pro Bowler who'd previously gotten through our LT for a strip-sack: http://www.gettyimages.no/detail/new...hoto/187127755

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If the Broncos insisted on starting a better blocker Shannon Sharpe's HoF career never has a chance to develop into what came to be a very accomplished career.......a career that also included BLOCKING for a 2000-yard rusher.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

If Dreesen didn't get in Halis way, why didn't Hali tackle Ball?
    I stopped reading after this. Again, what is your point, because I think YOU have lost what you are trying to argue. Are you REALLY .. REALLY..trying to say that was a successful block in ANY sense of the word? Because, trust me on this, in the grading film day....Dreesen got an F on this play. I PROMISE you that.

There is NOTHING... zero...zilch... good about that block. Hali made did HIS assignment, he did HIS job, and that was the blow up the block and Penetrate the back field. That forces RBs to take wider turns to the corner, and or stops the hole, allowing the LBS to make the tackle. WHY Didn't Hali make the tackle? Several reasons. 1 being as simple as he probably didn't expect to be 3 yards ito the backfield and have to reach BACK for the RB. 2, his job is to take UP blockers and the LBs to fill those holes. 3 Reaction time to the RB making a move in a direction that wasn't in the "draw up" of the play. NONE of which has ANYTHING to do with Dreesen and that HORRENDOUS attempt at a block.

If you are trying to argue that Dreesen is a better blocker than Thomas, THAT has already been agreed upon. Stop trying ot make that point because no one is arguing with that. But that isn't what you are trying to argue. You are ACTUALLY, for some VERY odd reason, trying to argue that Dreesen made a successful block on THIS play. It wasn't, but ANY definition of the word. An F.

I'm sure he made other good blocks. Great. Good for him. Cheers. I'm bettting Thomas made other better blocks than the one you keep trying to use as your example against him. I also know that Dreesen isn't near the talent that Thomas is, and despite his "brilliant" blocking abilities, isn't going to keep Thomas off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    If the Broncos insisted on starting a better blocker Shannon Sharpe's HoF career never has a chance to develop into what came to be a very accomplished career.......a career that also included BLOCKING for a 2000-yard rusher.
    Blocking for a 2000 yd rusher makes Sharpe a weak blocker? Our CURRENT backfield's averaging 3.6 yds/carry; are you SURE you want to compare Orange Julius' run blocking to Sharpes for Davis? Sharpe was as phenomenal receiving as one would expect of Sterlings brother, but that didn't make him a useless blocker (useless run blockers don't stick around long on Shannys teams.) I don't think much of the racial polemic at the end, but this guys statistical analysis of Sharpes blocking is pretty good: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/muhamm..._b_754948.html

If JT blocked like Sharpe we wouldn't be having this dicussion (and Denver probably would've beaten Indy.)

I stopped reading after this. Again, what is your point, because I think YOU have lost what you are trying to argue. Are you REALLY .. REALLY..trying to say that was a successful block in ANY sense of the word? Because, trust me on this, in the grading film day....Dreesen got an F on this play. I PROMISE you that.
    It was a good enough block because his man couldn't make the play. That doesn't mean it's great to be shoved back, but Hali shoves back lots of guys; taking him out of the play is a win for a TE.

There is NOTHING... zero...zilch... good about that block. Hali made did HIS assignment, he did HIS job, and that was the blow up the block and Penetrate the back field. That forces RBs to take wider turns to the corner, and or stops the hole, allowing the LBS to make the tackle. WHY Didn't Hali make the tackle? Several reasons. 1 being as simple as he probably didn't expect to be 3 yards ito the backfield and have to reach BACK for the RB. 2, his job is to take UP blockers and the LBs to fill those holes. 3 Reaction time to the RB making a move in a direction that wasn't in the "draw up" of the play. NONE of which has ANYTHING to do with Dreesen and that HORRENDOUS attempt at a block.
    Did he force Ball to take wider turns to the corner, or stop the hole? The hole Ball ran through for a TD? Allowing the LBs to make the tackle? You know Hali's not a DE, right? Hali WAS one of those "LBs to fill those holes" (are you saying Ball scored because the LB who was supposed to fill the hole just wasn't there?)

Here's the bottom line: The only guys at the point of attack were Ball, Dreesen and Hali; Ball scored a TD because Hali couldn't do anything but make a unsuccessful one-armed lunge. WHY?!

If you are trying to argue that Dreesen is a better blocker than Thomas, THAT has already been agreed upon. Stop trying ot make that point because no one is arguing with that. But that isn't what you are trying to argue. You are ACTUALLY, for some VERY odd reason, trying to argue that Dreesen made a successful block on THIS play. It wasn't, but ANY definition of the word. An F.
    Seems like that's EXACTLY what people are trying to argue: They can't build up Thomas' blocking, so they're tearing down Dreesens instead.

I'm sure he made other good blocks. Great. Good for him. Cheers. I'm bettting Thomas made other better blocks than the one you keep trying to use as your example against him. I also know that Dreesen isn't near the talent that Thomas is, and despite his "brilliant" blocking abilities, isn't going to keep Thomas off the field.
    I did post a pic of Dreesen making a good block against Washington (maybe you should've kept reading.) Feel free to share any pics or video of a great block from Thomas; there's little I'd like to see more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Blocking for a 2000 yd rusher makes Sharpe a weak blocker? Our CURRENT backfield's averaging 3.6 yds/carry; are you SURE you want to compare Orange Julius' run blocking to Sharpes for Davis? Sharpe was as phenomenal receiving as one would expect of Sterlings brother, but that didn't make him a useless blocker (useless run blockers don't stick around long on Shannys teams.) I don't think much of the racial polemic at the end, but this guys statistical analysis of Sharpes blocking is pretty good: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/muhamm..._b_754948.html If JT blocked like Sharpe we wouldn't be having this dicussion (and Denver probably would've beaten Indy.) It was a good enough block because his man couldn't make the play. That doesn't mean it's great to be shoved back, but Hali shoves back lots of guys; taking him out of the play is a win for a TE. Did he force Ball to take wider turns to the corner, or stop the hole? The hole Ball ran through for a TD? Allowing the LBs to make the tackle? You know Hali's not a DE, right? Hali WAS one of those "LBs to fill those holes" (are you saying Ball scored because the LB who was supposed to fill the hole just wasn't there?) Here's the bottom line: The only guys at the point of attack were Ball, Dreesen and Hali; Ball scored a TD because Hali couldn't do anything but make a unsuccessful one-armed lunge. WHY?! Seems like that's EXACTLY what people are trying to argue: They can't build up Thomas' blocking, so they're tearing down Dreesens instead. I did post a pic of Dreesen making a good block against Washington (maybe you should've kept reading.) Feel free to share any pics or video of a great block from Thomas; there's little I'd like to see more.
    The running back's stats are not the tell all of the blocking ability of a TE. The blocking ability of a TE does not dictate the success of a RB.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    The running back's stats are not the tell all of the blocking ability of a TE. The blocking ability of a TE does not dictate the success of a RB.
    True, but there is a correlation, and it's about the only statistical means of evaluating ANY blocking; the most frustrating thing about blocking is that the most crucial part of the game is also hardest to measure, not least because it's the most team-based part: Four linemen and a TE can do their job perfectly and the play STILL gets blown up in the backfield if the other blockers whiffs. The best we can do is compare results, and Jadeds reference to Davis' 2000 yd season is both valid and customary. It's also why comparing THAT result to our current 3.6 yd average makes JT appear a much worse blocker than Sharpe (as he happens to be.)

I didn't bring it up though, so if it's a problem take it up with the person who did (and pretty much everyone who's ever professionally analyzed blocking; maybe start with DVOA over at Football Outsiders.)
    Last edited by Joel; 11-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.

It was a good enough block because his man couldn't make the play. That doesn't mean it's great to be shoved back, but Hali shoves back lots of guys; taking him out of the play is a win for a TE.
    Joel, It was not EVEN a BLOCK! Dreesen did NOT "take" him out of the play. If ANYTHING, Hali took himself out of the play because he pushed Dreesen so far BACK into the backfield.

I don't know if you are INTENTIONALLY being obtuse, or purely blind as to the facts. It's like talkign with Zam on this one.

Did he force Ball to take wider turns to the corner, or stop the hole? The hole Ball ran through for a TD? Allowing the LBs to make the tackle? You know Hali's not a DE, right? Hali WAS one of those "LBs to fill those holes" (are you saying Ball scored because the LB who was supposed to fill the hole just wasn't there?)
    ON that play, Hali was hand on the ground, right? The 3-4 OLB on a goal line defense, hand in the dirt, isn't playing LB (yes, the Chiefs play a hybrid 34/43), he's playing DE.

Your question of "did Ball have to swing out wider"... NO!! He pushed Dreesen SOOO far back into the back field, Ball had to SPIN up into the hole that was LEFT because Hali complete DESTROYED Dreesen. Dreesen didn't hold ground at ALL, and that was a FAIL of a block. I'm sorry you don't understand enough to get it, and I'm sorry you only learned football through books and statistical analysis, but you are SOOO wrong on this that it's embarrassing for you.

Here's the bottom line: The only guys at the point of attack were Ball, Dreesen and Hali; Ball scored a TD because Hali couldn't do anything but make a unsuccessful one-armed lunge. WHY?!
    Simple... Ball made a play because Dreesen did NOT do his job. SOmetimes, another player makes up for the complete LAPSE of another. Thankfully, Ball did just that.

Seems like that's EXACTLY what people are trying to argue: They can't build up Thomas' blocking, so they're tearing down Dreesens instead.
    Nice twist. The ONLY thing people have pointed out to you is the absurdity of you claiming that was a good block. YOU are the one that came to defense of a shit blocking job by sprinkling less stinky shit.

This entire discussion happened because YOU were trying to put down Thomas' blocking sooo much, that you asked the question "Could Thomas have made THAT block on Hali on the goalline"...the answer to that question is YES! On THAT play, ANYONE could have made as good of a block as Dreesen did. Thomas ABSOLUTELY could have made as good of a block since that was NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a block.

Now, if you want to point out that Dreesen made other good blocks on other plays or against other players in other games...fantastic. Whoop-d-do. Great for Dreesen. I can turn around and show a ton of catches and runs that Thomas has made that Dreesen could only dream of making.

I did post a pic of Dreesen making a good block against Washington (maybe you should've kept reading.) Feel free to share any pics or video of a great block from Thomas; there's little I'd like to see more.
    Why? You've already pointed out th bad blocks and I pointed out a HORRIBL block by Dreesen that YOU ACTUALLY THINK IS GOOD!! You woudln't know what a good/bad block looks like anyway.

I telll you what, you look at better blocks by Dreesen, and I'll look at the better catchs/runs by Thomas, and we'll both see what the other player does BETTER than the other. I promise I won't do this though. I won't see a crappy catch/run by Thomas, wrap it up in snot, smother it with potpourri, and try to sell it to you as a burrito.

We can go back and forth all day; the bottom line is Ball went RIGHT BY a multiple-time Pro Bowler because Hali could do no more than try and FAIL to lunge with one arm. Either Tamba Hali took himself out of a play lined up for a goal line stand and let a rookie second stringer blow right through the middle, or the guy locked up on him gave him no choice. It ain't like Dreesen was on his butt or Hali was free to make a play.

Why? You've already pointed out th bad blocks and I pointed out a HORRIBL block by Dreesen that YOU ACTUALLY THINK IS GOOD!! You woudln't know what a good/bad block looks like anyway.
    Why did I post the pic of Dreesen making a block after I'd already posted it once? Because you said I'm only looking at ONE Dreesen block, so presumably you didn't see the first post.

I telll you what, you look at better blocks by Dreesen, and I'll look at the better catchs/runs by Thomas, and we'll both see what the other player does BETTER than the other. I promise I won't do this though. I won't see a crappy catch/run by Thomas, wrap it up in snot, smother it with potpourri, and try to sell it to you as a burrito.
    Yeah, that's another problem: The pretense Dreesen's some awful receiver with mittens for hands, even though he racked up dozens of catches and multiple TDs every year playing behind a Pro Bowler in Houston. Dreesen can't block, Dreesen can't catch, Shannon Sharpe can't block; it'd be easier to have faith in Orange Julius if his cheering section gave more examples of his excellence and spent less time explaining what's WRONG with EVERYONE ELSE. There's a reason he told his college coach he wanted to be a WR; it remains to be seen if he's actually a TE.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dude leads the league in touchdowns and is posting Jimmy Graham/Shannon Sharpe/Tony Gonzalez numbers, and somebody is ACTUALLY BITCHING that he's seeing playing time.

Seriously. Think about that.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Dude leads the league in touchdowns and is posting Jimmy Graham/Shannon Sharpe/Tony Gonzalez numbers, and somebody is ACTUALLY BITCHING that he's seeing playing time.

Seriously. Think about that.
    Not as long as Clark (and the rest of the line) does his job keeping Manning upright (though 2.9 yds/carry against a bottom ten run D is still inexcusable.) If his receiving's all that matters though why not line him up in the slot and compare him to Randy Moss or Jerry Rice? Seriously, why would anyone want a TE who CANNOT BLOCK? Is there some obscure NFL rule that says defenses can't put a safety or dimeback on a big WR if he's lined up at TE? Did anyone tell Eric Berry?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Not as long as Clark (and the rest of the line) does his job keeping Manning upright (though 2.9 yds/carry against a bottom ten run D is still inexcusable.) If his receiving's all that matters though why not line him up in the slot and compare him to Randy Moss or Jerry Rice? Seriously, why would anyone want a TE who CANNOT BLOCK? Is there some obscure NFL rule that says defenses can't put a safety or dimeback on a big WR if he's lined up at TE? Did anyone tell Eric Berry?
    Don't know what to tell you, other than it's just mind-boggling that anyone would complain about what Thomas has done this year.

Of course, we found out he's every bit the blocker any other tight end on this team is, but you don't want to admit that, you just want to bitch about one of the best years for a tight end in team history.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information