Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Broncos Will Expose The Chiefs Overrated Defense

1. Default The Broncos Will Expose The Chiefs Overrated Defense

The Chiefs have been said to have one of the best defenses in the NFL this year. While most wouldn’t disagree with that, if you look at the numbers, it’s not all gold. And the stuff that looks like gold might actually be fools gold.

First off, their rush defense is awful. Teams run on the Chiefs with ease. When facing a team like the Broncos, a bad rushing defense can lead to major troubles in the passing game. Naturally, if the run game gets too out of control, they will have to more defenders in the box and Manning will pick them apart when reverting back to the pass.

This Broncos passing game should be able to shred the Chiefs secondary. Jeff Tuel, Jason Campbell, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are all quarterbacks that the Chiefs have allowed to pass for more than 200 yards this season.

I know 200 yards doesn’t seem like a whole lot. Jeff Tuel, Jason Campbell, and Ryan Fitzpatrick were all backups for their respected teams though and it was Jeff Tuel’s first career start as an NFL quarterback.

Five of their nine games this season have come against teams ranked in the bottom half of the NFL in average passing yards. All five of those teams passed for more yards than their average.

A lot of the success in the Chiefs passing defense comes from their front seven.... CONTINUE READING
    Your multimedia hub for Denver sports including, TV, radio, web, and social platforms. It all comes together at BSNDenver.com

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived BSN Denver For This Post:

41-19 Denver; the score will be 21-9 at halftime. KC has not experienced anything like what they are going to see on Sunday Night.

Good read..

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Don’t be surprised if Peyton is the first quarterback to put up 300 yards and three touchdowns on the Chiefs.
    Interesting stat to tuck away at the end. No, 200 yds passing isn't a lot in 2013, even for a backup QB (and Keenum isn't really a backup now; Schaub's healthy: He's just BENCHED.)

The Chiefs run D is soft; even taking account of facing the Eagles and LeSean McCoy, they're 24th against the run (i.e. BOTTOM ten.) The best to be said of their run D is it's better than NEs 26th run D missing Wilfork; these next three games are a chance for our RBs to shine, for Moreno to emerge as a legit feature back and/or Ball or Anderson to establish themselves as solid backups—IF we can block. The Colts are 30th against the run (i.e. worse than everyone but Dallas and the Jags,) but that didn't help us; Manning still got strip-sacked for a safety leading to a TD, and his arm hit as he passed leading to an Int and Indy FG.

This game is all about our blocking—opening holes for RBs and keeping Manning healthy(ish)—and our statistically high ranking run D shutting down Charles and containing Smith to prove we don't just look good because a month of blowouts sidelined opposing run games. The Chiefs pass rush is for real; we can point to their opponents high season sack totals, but that's not what sent Hali, Houston and Johnson to last years Pro Bowl: Those are three scary LBs, and Poe pushing the pocket means our agile-but-weak LG and C will have their hands full preventing his 4.5 sack total growing higher.

Luck isn't the only reason KC leads the NFL in takeaways after 9 games: They CREATE turnovers. Our RBs need both hands on the ball (especially those who already HAVE fumbling issues,) and we MUST protect Manning, especially blindside. Yes, his season sack and Int numbers are low, but largely because our blocking was so flawless the first month that he was, too: 5 sacks and 1 Int in 5 games. Since then? 8 sacks and 5 Ints in four games, with 3 of the sacks forcing turnovers and defensive TDs in EACH of our last 3 games. This is a game for running and lots of blocking TEs; don't be surprised if Orange Julius doesn't start.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

7. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Shanahan

great post. The Chiefs are so overrated. They're doing what the Colts did last year. Play an unbelievably easy schedule because they were the worst team in the league the year before.

Peyton Manning is going to go HAM. Just got my tickets! I'll be in there Sunday night! Go Broncos! **** Alex Smith!!!
    Born and raised in DC....living in Denver. I love the Redskins, and the Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

My approach to this game, whether the Chiefs are overrated or not, is that it is a divisional game. And the slogan "Any Given Sunday" holds MORE TRUE when it comes to divisional games. How many times did Miami upset NE??? How many times have we Oak & KC upset the Broncos? Truly, Any Given Sunday this weekend.

On that note, we've got to exploit the Chiefs weak Run Defense. The Broncos have had MORE run attempts against them (227) than the Chiefs (214) and the Chiefs have significantly more yards ran against them than the Broncos (1067 to 783). That tells me that our Run Defense is better. We do have to run the ball to ensure our chances of coming out on top of this game. Yes, I do believe our pass game is something the Chiefs haven't faced yet, but in order to protect Peyton Manning and exploit the Chiefs, it'll have to come from our run game. I'm confident in our Defense to make plays and stop the Chiefs' offense in all aspects. Our Offense just needs to control the game and put up points.

10. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Did anyone else get the "Jacksonville shouldn't even get off the bus" vibe from this article?

I think the Broncos are taking the Chiefs a lost more seriously than the Jags. Even though we always hear the "its just one game at a time"..players know the NFL. They know who is good and who isn't. It's hard to get pumped up for the Jags. The Indy game, just had too much emotion for Manning. Too many distrations, and the GM for the colts intentionally piled that on.

Joel has been preaching "blocking blocking blocking" (over and over and over again) for this game. I think that is the key for EVERY game, and this one is no different. The Broncos simply need to not turn over the ball. Yes, turnovers can come from the QB getting hit. But Kick returners can't drop the ball, receivers can't fumble the ball, our RBs (especially) can't fumble the ball, and Manning can't throw the pick 6. This Chiefs team has RELIED on the other team to turn the ball over. They have lived off it. TUEL would have beaten them had he simply not thrown a TERRIBLE INT in the endzone that came back 101 yrds for a TD.

The Chiefs defense has scored 7 TDs... SEVEN. Their offense has only scored 16 (and many of those on short fields caused by turnovers). We don't turn the ball over, and allow short fields and easy TDs for their defense....we blow them out.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I hope the Broncos are taking them more serious than some fans and reporters. Whether they are fools gold or whatever, it's still the Chiefs and they still play us hard every time. I'm not overlooking them, especially with their pass rush and Manning's legs.

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I hope the Broncos are taking them more serious than some fans and reporters. Whether they are fools gold or whatever, it's still the Chiefs and they still play us hard every time. I'm not overlooking them, especially with their pass rush and Manning's legs.
    Considering this could be a pivotal game that could determine the home field in the playoffs, I don't think Manning and Co. is overlooking the Chiefs. The fans and the media can't stop talkign about this game, The Networks moving this to Sunday Night tells, and the fact that its a HUGE division game, leaves me to believe that there is NO WAY that this team over looks the importance.

I also believe that if ew have the chance, we WILL score often. No trying to eat clock...but deflate them so that when we face them again in a couple weeks, its in their head that they "couldn't" stop us the first time around.

That's what I'm hoping for... a stomping. Bring them down to earth. I'm glad its Sunday Night so I don't have to go out to the sports bar and listen to all the crappy chief fans around here and their effing "Chiiiiiiiiiefs" yell. Drives me NUTs!
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

I agree with the stomping. If we get a foot on their throat, I don't want them to let off. Let it linger with them til the next game in Arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I agree with the stomping. If we get a foot on their throat, I don't want them to let off. Let it linger with them til the next game in Arrowhead.
    Watch their stadium ticket holders start selling those seats as they learn that they don't stand a chance. Let that "Chiiiieeefs" cry simmer down to a whisper as they finally see that their entire season has been revolving around luck.

I just heard that NO TEAM...in NFL history... that has gone 9-0 has scored as few points, NOR...has had such an easy schedule (according to their opponents records of the teams they've beaten).

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Oh, I would LOVE A STOMPING TOO. But, like I said, its a divisional game and I'd be this conservative even if the Chiefs were 0-9. DIVISIONAL GAME! But, oh do I love blowing out divisional rivals.

20. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Good defense, fools gold, no matter. I just want to stomp a serious mudhole in their ass. If the Broncos cant get up for this game they dont deserve to be in the playoffs. We are the better team so they better come out and show it.

22. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think the Broncos are taking the Chiefs a lost more seriously than the Jags. Even though we always hear the "its just one game at a time"..players know the NFL. They know who is good and who isn't. It's hard to get pumped up for the Jags. The Indy game, just had too much emotion for Manning. Too many distrations, and the GM for the colts intentionally piled that on.

Joel has been preaching "blocking blocking blocking" (over and over and over again) for this game. I think that is the key for EVERY game, and this one is no different. The Broncos simply need to not turn over the ball. Yes, turnovers can come from the QB getting hit. But Kick returners can't drop the ball, receivers can't fumble the ball, our RBs (especially) can't fumble the ball, and Manning can't throw the pick 6. This Chiefs team has RELIED on the other team to turn the ball over. They have lived off it. TUEL would have beaten them had he simply not thrown a TERRIBLE INT in the endzone that came back 101 yrds for a TD.

The Chiefs defense has scored 7 TDs... SEVEN. Their offense has only scored 16 (and many of those on short fields caused by turnovers). We don't turn the ball over, and allow short fields and easy TDs for their defense....we blow them out.
    I obsess over blocking pretty much every game, because you're right it's ALWAYS the biggest factor in offensive performance. Good passing can make up for bad running, and good running can make up for bad passing, but NOTHING makes up for bad blocking; even the punter has to play with one eye on the defensive rush. The difference in 2013 is:

1) Our blocking was OUTSTANDING in September (no one was more shocked than I, but Manning was untouchable and we blew open massive holes for Moreno) and
    2) The combination of a great ball-hawking pass rush and hobbled QB who's been strip-sacked and had passes deflected for picks makes our blocking more important than ever this week.

The problem with blocking—especially pass blocking—is a team can have a bunch of HoF linemen, but if one guy doesn't do his job the D will STILL pour through the hole. When the levee breaks, you don't brag about the strength of the rest of it: You bail water and plug the hole before the fields flood and one hole creates more in the otherwise strong wall. Our hole happens to be in the worst possible place (though I'm a bit concerned whether Ramirez is strong enough to handle a true NT; Beadles isn't, and will have his hands full anyway since Clark can't block Pro Bowlers Hali AND Derrick "do some damage" Johnson.)

We don't have many available solutions; we're not getting a star LT after the trade deadline. Giving Clark help from TE is pretty much our only choice; Moreno can chip, but that won't be enough against two Pro Bowl LBs on the left, and he may need to chip ANOTHER Pro Bowl LB if Franklin can't shut Houston down all day, plus we frequently need Moreno as a checkdown. If Clark's a turnstile in the passing game and Beadles lets guys through in the running game (which has been the norm against even weak D) it could be a long day without TE help.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information