Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AFC West news and notes (merged)

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, there's always food stamps . . .

-----
    He does have to feed his family.

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Pros and cons of Terrell Owens becoming a Raider

March 6, 2009 1:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The talk of Terrell Owens going to the Oakland Raiders will not die until he signs somewhere. Here are the pros and cons of signing Owens, who was cut by Dallas on Wednesday. For those who are counting, the Cowboys were Owens' third NFL team -- each of which parted ways with him when he became a distraction.

PROS OF T.O. BECOMING A RAIDER

1. He would fill a need. The Raiders are in desperate need of a quality veteran receiver. Owens, 35, may be in decline but he is still better than anybody Oakland has at receiver.

2. He would help the run game. The presence of Owens would take pressure off the Oakland running game, which is the bright spot of the team. He would make defenses play honest.

3. He would make the Raiders relevant again. There would be a reason to pay attention to this team again.

CONS OF T.O. BECOMING A RAIDER

1. It wouldn't work. It never works with Owens.

2. He's not a winner. Owens' teams usually fall short and he makes a stink when his team loses. How would he react when the Raiders, who have won an average of four games a season for the past six seasons, go on a skid?

3. It could affect quarterback JaMarcus Russell adversely. Owens' biggest negative is the detrimental effect he has on quarterbacks. Russell is still trying to find his way. If Owens were to have the same effect on Russell as he has had on past quarterbacks, it could affect Russell's career.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-a-Raider.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Pros and cons of Terrell Owens becoming a Raider

March 6, 2009 1:55 PM

The talk of Terrell Owens going to the Oakland Raiders will not die until he signs somewhere. Here are the pros and cons of signing Owens, who was cut by Dallas on Wednesday. For those who are counting, the Cowboys were Owens' third NFL team -- each of which parted ways with him when he became a distraction.

PROS OF T.O. BECOMING A RAIDER

1. He would fill a need. The Raiders are in desperate need of a quality veteran receiver. Owens, 35, may be in decline but he is still better than anybody Oakland has at receiver.

2. He would help the run game. The presence of Owens would take pressure off the Oakland running game, which is the bright spot of the team. He would make defenses play honest.

3. He would make the Raiders relevant again. There would be a reason to pay attention to this team again.

CONS OF T.O. BECOMING A RAIDER

1. It wouldn't work. It never works with Owens.

2. He's not a winner. Owens' teams usually fall short and he makes a stink when his team loses. How would he react when the Raiders, who have won an average of four games a season for the past six seasons, go on a skid?

3. It could affect quarterback JaMarcus Russell adversely. Owens' biggest negative is the detrimental effect he has on quarterbacks. Russell is still trying to find his way. If Owens were to have the same effect on Russell as he has had on past quarterbacks, it could affect Russell's career.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-a-Raider.html
    This sounds like perfect fit arguably the most dysfunctional player signing with the most dysfunctional team in the League.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Lynch (I dont care that he's not a Bronco anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    This sounds like perfect fit arguably the most dysfunctional player signing with the most dysfunctional team in the League.
    lol a match made in heaven....they complete eachother....

- Thanks to Roddoliver for the sig!!

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Report: Source says Oakland won't sign Owens

March 6, 2009 5:30 PM

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting a source said the team will not sign wide receiver Terrell Owens. He was cut by Dallas this week. Owens has been on three NFL teams and has been jettisoned by all three.

Oakland has been mentioned as a possibility to sign Owens. The reason why Oakland has been connected to Owens is that it has need at receiver and owner Al Davis has had a history of signing renegade players.

However, this source is poking holes in that theory.

Of course, what matters most in Oakland is what Davis feels and what he wants. Until he says the Raiders are not interested in Owens, it has to be considered a possibility.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...ign-Owens.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Olshansky goes to Dallas

March 6, 2009 7:03 PM

Olshansky
    Igor Olshansky, one of the bigger names available in free agency from a weak AFC West class of unrestricted free agents, is out of the division.

The San Diego defensive lineman has signed with the Dallas Cowboys. Olshansky's departure from San Diego was expected. The team had no intentions of re-signing him.

Olshansky had an underwhelming season in 2008. It has been suggested that certain teammates questioned Olshansky's attitude. Olshansky fits in Dallas because the Cowboys use a similar scheme as the Chargers. Dallas head coach Wade Phillips is familiar with Olshansky from his time in San Diego.

The Chargers may look for defensive line help early in the draft.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...to-Dallas.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Chiefs honor former kicker

March 7, 2009 5:35 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs have named former kicker Nick Lowry as their 2009 inductee into the Chiefs Hall of Fame.

He is the 39th member of the Chiefs' Hall of Fame. He will be enshrined during a weekend during the NFL season. He is Kansas City's all-time leading scorer with 1,466 points.

"On behalf of our family and the entire Kansas City Chiefs organization, we are extremely pleased to welcome Nick Lowery into the Chiefs Hall of Fame," Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement. "Nick's penchant for making long-distance kicks and his history of last-minute heroics in pressure-packed situations made him one of the most admired kickers in the National Football League. He is richly deserving of being recognized as one of the all-time greats in Chiefs history."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...er-kicker.html

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Thank goodness we didn't sign him. But you have to admit, we're not even the most dysfunctional team in the West right now. Bizaaaaaarre.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    Thank goodness we didn't sign him. But you have to admit, we're not even the most dysfunctional team in the West right now. Bizaaaaaarre.
    I know whom you're alluding to, and . . . how could I disagree? *sigh*

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

11. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Around the AFC West

March 9, 2009 3:06 PM

Denver

* Shannon Sharpe can relate to Jay Cutler.

My take: This is another reminder that many great players have been discussed in trade talks. But Cutler's situation is unique because he's a quarterback and is building a relationship with his new coach. All players who are a part of trade talks likely have trust issues with their teams, but Cutler's problem with trust is heightened because of the circumstances.

Kansas City

* The Kansas City Star's Jason Whitlock says it's fine to question the new regime.

My take: New Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli has an excellent track record and while his moves in Kansas City have been few, they have been thought-out and impactful. Give the guy time.

Oakland

* Justin Fargas gives his thoughts.

My take: Many Raiders fans want the team to trade Fargas. I believe he can be a part of a solid three-man committee with Michael Bush and Darren McFadden.

San Diego

* Drew Brees wants LaDainian Tomlinson in New Orleans.

My take: If Tomlinson gets cut, New Orleans will likely become the favorite to land him. Brees and Tomlinson came into the league together with the Chargers and remain good friends. Also, Tomlinson would fill a need for the Saints. A reunion would make sense if a new deal can't be worked out with the Chargers.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-AFC-West.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Chargers, LT working until the end

March 9, 2009 1:56 PM

It appears we may learn the fate of star running back LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego shortly.
    Tomlinson

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that the talks between Tomlinson and the team are in the final stages concerning a restructured deal that will keep the longtime star in San Diego. If Tomlinson and the team can't figure out a way to restructure down from his nearly $7 million salary due this season, Tomlinson will likely be cut and end up elsewhere. There is also a chance Tomlinson could be traded.

Still, Mortensen reports that the Chargers and Tomlinson are still trying. Mortensen said that the latest offer isn't a take-it-or-leave from San Diego and that the two sides are trying to come up with ways giving Tomlinson a solid deal.

This is another indication that the two sides want to make it work. No one in this situation wants Tomlinson to leave. That's one of the reasons why this tough negotiation has taken so long. The two sides are doing everything they can to make sure they've exhausted every avenue before parting ways, if that is the case.

While there is no hard deadline, both sides want a resolution. If he is cut, Tomlinson will need to find a new job (New Orleans seems to be a strong possibility) and the Chargers will have to begin plans to replace him.

Meanwhile, in Mike Sando's NFC West blog, Scouts Inc. scout Matt Williamson suggests that Tomlinson is near the end. Tomlinson, who will be 30 in June, had his least productive season in 2008 and he has been bothered by injuries in the past two postseasons.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...l-the-end.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

AFC West teams will get together soon

March 9, 2009 4:41 PM

The run for the 2009 season is about to commence. Teams are preparing for the start of their offseason conditioning programs.

The programs are voluntary but nearly every player on every team participates, especially since many players have large bonuses for participating in the workouts that are written into their contracts.

Some players have agreements worked into their deals with teams that allow them to work out on their own.

Still, these offseason conditioning programs kick off the season. Many of them last into the summer. Teams, of course, having minicamps and passing camps worked around the offseason conditioning program and are usually held in May and June.

Here is a look at the AFC West team's offseason conditioning program starting dates:

* Denver: March 16
    * Kansas City: March 30
    * Oakland: March 16
    * San Diego: March 30

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...ther-soon.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Evaluating Cutler from all sides

March 10, 2009 5:39 PM

ESPN's Mel Kiper has never been high on Jay Cutler and he is sticking to his guns.

ESPN's draft guru chimes in on his thoughts on Cutler after Denver considered a deal that would have shipped Cutler out in exchange for Matt Cassel on Feb. 28. The link requires a subscription but it's worth a gander.

It is clear Kiper never liked Cutler and he is focusing on the Broncos' 17-20 record with Cutler under center as well as Cutler's penchant for making an occasional poor throw.

Look, I'm saying this right here: Kiper is a terrific talent evaluator. I've respected him for years and have long used him as a source at draft time. He's a pro and I couldn't do what does.

But I think he's wrong on Cutler. Look, as I remember, Kiper liked Vince Young and Matt Leinart better than Cutler when the three quarterbacks came out in 2006. To Kiper's defense, so did many in the league as Young was drafted third and Leinart was drafted 10th. Cutler went 11th.
    But Cutler has been much better than Young and Leinart after three seasons. Cutler earned a trip to the Pro Bowl player in 2008 and Young and Leinart were backups on their teams.

Yes, Cutler has improvements to make but he is 25 and has played 37 games. He has improvements to make. Cutler isn't elite yet but he could be on his way and to say he's overrated, is harsh.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...all-sides.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Afternoon AFC West news

March 11, 2009 2:44 PM

There are some interesting AFC West ties in the new UFL coaching lineup.

The startup league has announced its coaching roster of its four-team league. The coaches are Ted Cottrell, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, and Jim Haslett.

Cottrell was fired as the defensive coordinator in San Diego at the mid-way point last season. Cottrell finally gets his chance to be a head coach after years of being a defensive coordinator.

Fassel, Green's and Haslett's names all were connected at some point to the Oakland head coaching job in the past year. None of the coaches ever became major figures in the process before Tom Cable was hired, though.

Former Denver general manager Ted Sundquist is interviewing with the Arizona Cardinals for a position in the team's front office. Sundquist would be a terrific hire for the Cardinals.

Sundquist is organized and bright and has an excellent scout's eye. His unexpected firing from Denver last March was the first of many in a front office shakeup in Denver that continued into this year.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...West-news.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

AFC West mailbag

March 11, 2009 1:00 PM

Evan from Fresno, CA: Hey Bill, I thought I knew what kind of player the chargers would be drafting-a running back or a middle linebacker-but now that they've signed Burnett and Tomlinson, which players do you think they are likely to go after?

BW: I think a linebacker could still be the answer for the Chargers at No. 16. A defensive lineman or a safety could be targets or perhaps a guard could be the way San Diego goes in the first round. I don't think the Chargers will take a running back in the first round, but there are plenty of other options.

Chris from KC: Is there a real chance that KC could pick up Orland Pace? What kind of money is he worth?

BW: Not sure what kind of money Pace would be seeking but the Chiefs have plenty of money and they have a need. I could see it being a good fit.

Jay from Chicago: Bill - If Cutler doesn't show up to mini-camp this week, will that be a signal that he's not willing to play for McDaniels and that they should move forward in trading him? Denver can get anything they want for Cutler right now and if they don't trade for a QB, Rex Grossman is out there and still can play. That might be a huge downgrade, but the guy's been to the Super Bowl. Any thoughts on what happens if Cutler doesn't show up to camp?

BW: If Cutler doesn't show up, it could be trouble. I know for sure that Cutler is thinking about not showing up Monday for the offseason workout program. If he doesn't show, this saga will go to a new level and the Broncos will have to think of other options.

Big J from sacramento: Bill, what are my Chiefs doing? We know what they are not doing, and that's signing players. Any chance we look at Tank Johnson or Kevin Burnett? We desperatly need help along the front 7 and both of these players could be had at resonable prices. Also, what's up with kicking situation? Why not bring in Stover to compete with Barth?

BW: Burnett, of course, is off the table now that he signed with San Diego. Johnson could be a possibility. I'm with you, Big J. The Chiefs have been much quieter than I thought they would be in the first phase of free agency.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...t-mailbag.html

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information