Thread: Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups

A year ago, Knowshon Moreno was the high draft pick — 12th overall in 2009 — who hadn't panned out. He was 25, seemingly in his prime, and playing second fiddle to 31-year-old Willis McGahee.

Moreno was benched through much of the season.

He was a nonfactor in every sense of the word.

Now, halfway through the 2013 season, Moreno has a stranglehold on his role as the Broncos' starting running back, and not by default. He has put up solid, ever-improving numbers, significantly better than his competition on Denver's roster. You see, Moreno isn't just the starter. He's the tried and true veteran compared to the rest of this group.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ependable-back

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Never felt better to eat my words....Moreno, you're kickin ass this season. Thank you!

4. The Following 8 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Moreno is playing like a man possessed. Love it!

As to the article, we are developing talent at running back. Sure we've had some bumps along the way, but that happens when you develop new players. Non issue if you ask me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Never felt better to eat my words....Moreno, you're kickin ass this season. Thank you!
    Couldnt of said it better myself.

I'd like to humbly point out that two years ago I stated he was one of the best 3rd down backs in the league.

I still believe he was a better 3rd down back than McGahee. McGahee might have been an equal blocker, but there's no way his receiving skills were comparible to Knowshon's. Knowshon catches pretty much anything in his near vicinity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I'd like to humbly point out that two years ago I stated he was one of the best 3rd down backs in the league.

I still believe he was a better 3rd down back than McGahee. McGahee might have been an equal blocker, but there's no way his receiving skills were comparible to Knowshon's. Knowshon catches pretty much anything in his near vicinity.
    I never questioned his scat back ability, my early problems with him were his vision and durability. He has come a long way since then and looks to be more focused and hungry. This was the type of player i was expected to get when we first drafted him.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I never questioned his scat back ability, my early problems with him were his vision and durability. He has come a long way since then and looks to be more focused and hungry. This was the type of player i was expected to get when we first drafted him.
    Exactly! Although I will say that I was expecting a MUCH faster RB when he was drafted out of college. I thought he had speed and shifty moves that would be explosive...but I digress. As I said in another thread, although I haven't been a big Moreno fan, he's proved to be the 2nd MVP on this team, imo. He's having a GREAT year. Let's just all hope that he remains healthy.

That being said, I'm glad the coaching staff is rotating the runs. Not only to keep Moreno healthy, but so that they have experience in case he doesn't.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I have been a big Moreno hater from day one. I thought it was way too high to draft a RB considering the needs we had at the time. That being said, I have no comlaints about him since he came off the bench last year. Looks like he grew up and became a dependable, hard running RB that I like. I'm firmly in his court now.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Exactly! Although I will say that I was expecting a MUCH faster RB when he was drafted out of college. I thought he had speed and shifty moves that would be explosive...but I digress. As I said in another thread, although I haven't been a big Moreno fan, he's proved to be the 2nd MVP on this team, imo. He's having a GREAT year. Let's just all hope that he remains healthy.

That being said, I'm glad the coaching staff is rotating the runs. Not only to keep Moreno healthy, but so that they have experience in case he doesn't.
    I like the fact that both Ball and Anderson can run between the tackles. That really helps in giving Moreno breathers. If they can spread 10-15 carries a game to those guys it will help to take pressure off Moreno.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information