Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Cobb's injury the direct result of new rules?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Default Is Cobb's injury the direct result of new rules?

“I just felt like [Elam] had enough time to make a hit in the legal hitting zone,” Rodgers said, via ESPNWisconsin.com.

Here’s the problem with Rodgers’ complaint: Elam’s hit was in the legal hitting zone. Defensive players are allowed to tackle ball carriers by hitting them in the knees. If Rodgers doesn’t like that, he should take it up with the NFL’s owners, who determine the league rules, not with Elam."
    More at: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...b-at-the-knee/

So what do you think? Are we going to see more and more broken legs and torn up knees because of the NFL's fervent desire to avoid concussions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Yes, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Coo'

/end thread.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yes. It's like Swearinger said when he blew out Kellers knee accidentally hitting him low because he knew if he hit him high he would be flagged as well as fined.

I suspect we'll see a rule in the future protecting hitting defenseless players in the knees. It's just a matter of time.

5. The Following User High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Yes. It's like Swearinger said when he blew out Kellers knee accidentally hitting him low because he knew if he hit him high he would be flagged as well as fined.

I suspect we'll see a rule in the future protecting hitting defenseless players in the knees. It's just a matter of time.
    Sounds like the beginning of the end for contact football. I'm not sure how they are going to sustain not hitting high or low... there's going to be penalties and fines on 80% of the plays.

7. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Who knows? When I watch that play, I could see how it might have happened organically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

The biggest problem is defensive players are hitting instead of tackling. GEM posted an outstanding quote by Randy Gradishar in a thread somewhere where he stated tha t this part of fundamental football is gone from the sport.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Injuries happen. Sucks but they happen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The biggest problem is defensive players are hitting instead of tackling. GEM posted an outstanding quote by Randy Gradishar in a thread somewhere where he stated tha t this part of fundamental football is gone from the sport.
    I didn't see the quote, but I understand the desire to hit first/tackle second. Players who break up passes and force turnovers are simply rewarded more than those that simply tackle. I know players get burned by that at times, it's a risk reward thing, but until we stop rewarding the behavior, rules changes aren't really going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Anecdotal time. Going back to when LT was breaking the TD record, people started to talk about his place all-time. I remember on ESPN, and I wish I could remember who said it, arguing that while LT was incredible, his stats could be diminished a bit because he played in an era of awful tackling. At the time I thought that it was a pretty good point, so long as the difference in tackling in LT's era was different than in years past. More importantly, I started to watch how the league tackles as a whole.

It can be horrendous. Form tackling is a rarity these days. A lot of people say that guys want to be on ESPN highlight reels. I think that is true, but even in college guys don't seem to wrap people up. I don't want to make assumptions, but is the problem starting in pee-wee football leagues and not being corrected as the players age.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Anecdotal time. Going back to when LT was breaking the TD record, people started to talk about his place all-time. I remember on ESPN, and I wish I could remember who said it, arguing that while LT was incredible, his stats could be diminished a bit because he played in an era of awful tackling. At the time I thought that it was a pretty good point, so long as the difference in tackling in LT's era was different than in years past. More importantly, I started to watch how the league tackles as a whole.

It can be horrendous. Form tackling is a rarity these days. A lot of people say that guys want to be on ESPN highlight reels. I think that is true, but even in college guys don't seem to wrap people up. I don't want to make assumptions, but is the problem starting in pee-wee football leagues and not being corrected as the players age.
    Agreed on tackling, it's horrible. I've never understood why defenders reach for a ball carriers shoulders when all they have to do is take out his legs or trip him up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Agreed on tackling, it's horrible. I've never understood why defenders reach for a ball carriers shoulders when all they have to do is take out his legs or trip him up.
    Because some of those guys just dont come down trying to tackle for the legs. lol

Guys like MJD and Michael Turner (former self) are great examples. Some of those guys are just built like brick houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Because some of those guys just dont come down trying to tackle for the legs. lol

Guys like MJD and Michael Turner (former self) are great examples. Some of those guys are just built like brick houses.
    Leg tackling MJD at full speed would be like kissing a freight train.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I didn't see the quote, but I understand the desire to hit first/tackle second. Players who break up passes and force turnovers are simply rewarded more than those that simply tackle. I know players get burned by that at times, it's a risk reward thing, but until we stop rewarding the behavior, rules changes aren't really going to cut it.
    Wilbon mentioned something about maybe the NFL going to a "strike zone" area for tackling on PTI, Monday. We ae definately part of the highlight and Sportscenter generation. At least I am.

I'd be curious to see the difference in turnovers in Gradishar's era as opposed to now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

And not just tackling but blocking as well. My older son was the blocker or protector for the punter and in one game he was getting blown up by a kid a lot bigger than him. At halftime, I got a chance to speak to him and told him to cut the bigger kid at the knees. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do or you're the guy getting hurt.

I do agree with Slick though, tackling is pretty bad.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information