Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coyer 1, Bates 0

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Coyer 1, Bates 0

Coyer's Bucs are #2 in the league in defense (PA) so far this season, and Bates' Broncos are #2 from absolute worst in PA in the league so far.

I am not second guessing Shanny's gutsy call, because I think something had to give--but it doesn't look like this is the year for Bates to validate Shanny's decision. I realize that Coyer is not the DC for the Bucs, he is only the D line coach, and the Broncos have had some significant injury and personnel issues, and some of the points came from special teams. So the blame doesn't sit just with these two coaches. All the same, it's a startling statistic, no matter how you look at it.

I bet Larry is looking forward to sending out his Christmas cards to Michael and Ted this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Why doesn't it say: Coyer -2 Bates -31

But I agree. I was really happy when we got Bates. Now I'm not happy at all. I hope for some more changes next year either that or get stuff fixed.

Tough tough loss though.

Our D really sucks.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Hard to get the ball rolling with the inadequate personnel.

Coyer is a fat lard. Bates is a G.

Bates > Coyer

@ fatlard. I dont know if anyone could get our D rolling the right way though.

I remember Ferguson was getting all cocky after we beat Buffalo saying how great our D was.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Coyer's Bucs are #2 in the league in defense (PA) so far this season, and Bates' Broncos are #2 from absolute worst in PA in the league so far.

I am not second guessing Shanny's gutsy call, because I think something had to give--but it doesn't look like this is the year for Bates to validate Shanny's decision. I realize that Coyer is not the DC for the Bucs, he is only the D line coach, and the Broncos have had some significant injury and personnel issues, and some of the points came from special teams. So the blame doesn't sit just with these two coaches. All the same, it's a startling statistic, no matter how you look at it.

I bet Larry is looking forward to sending out his Christmas cards to Michael and Ted this year...
    Since Coyer isn't defensive coordinator I don't think that it's fair to say he is one up on Bates. Sure his coaching is important, but he's not responsible for the coordinating the scheme.

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

The same could be said of either of these guys... Coyer didn't get to have the players he needed, and Bates doesn't yet. I would like to have seen how Coyer would have done with a decent front 4. Would like to see how Bates can do when he gets the DT's he is looking for, along with some consistency at LB. If the team can show the fortitude to stick with Bates, and back up the decision with a good off-season, I think we're gonna be ok. We ignored the dline too long to think that 1 year worth of draft picks would fix the problem. IMO, it is a player thing, not a coach thing.
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

Adopted Bronco:
    Hamza Abdullah

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    @ fatlard. I dont know if anyone could get our D rolling the right way though.

I remember Ferguson was getting all cocky after we beat Buffalo saying how great our D was.
    Too bad it sucks ass...

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Since Coyer isn't defensive coordinator I don't think that it's fair to say he is one up on Bates. Sure his coaching is important, but he's not responsible for the coordinating the scheme.
    Coyer's impact with the Bucs defense leaves very little to be desired. . I'm wondering why the comparison was even made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Hard to get the ball rolling with the inadequate personnel.

Coyer is a fat lard. Bates is a G.

Bates > Coyer
    what does being a fat lard have to do
    with being a better defensive coach

Its not like Bill Parcells was swelte when he
    won Super Bowls with the Giants and is
    one of the most respected coaches in history IMO

they both have great minds in football. Coyer takes a week to plan for a game and almost never changes up if something is not working..

Bate is playing with a 35 card deck as it stands. He does not have a personnel to play his system to the MAX so what does he do throws a change up.. He makes adjustments where coyer was a "LB's are us Defensive coordinator". bates is a let see what can we do with eh cards he has. Then we have like 19 DE on the roster trying real hard to make something out of less than great players.

Did Coyer fall into a great spot sure enough but is he calling the plays or designing the game plan I suspect not if the defense is playing well. That or they have yet to play a decent team..

Bates in a heart beat over coyer.. Give Bates another biggie DT next year and this defense will be something special after a year in the scheme.

These rookies from this year will be something special..

bates has until next year to turn this around. i think he will have a lot of say in who gets picked come draft day for the defense.

it would be nice to pick up hanesworth in the offseason.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Coyer's impact with the Bucs defense leaves very little to be desired. . I'm wondering why the comparison was even made in the first place.
    There is no comparison in my opinion because one is a defensive coordinator/Asst. Head Coach of the defense and the other is defensive line coach.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    bates has until next year to turn this around. i think he will have a lot of say in who gets picked come draft day for the defense.

it would be nice to pick up hanesworth in the offseason.

That very well could make this team dominant along the lines of the bears SB team or BAL defense of a few years ago.

Just no weak spots.. well perhaps at free safety (deep cover), but heat up front makes up for a lot of weak sisters in the back field.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Blah blah blah...Coyer is fat... blah blah blah...Coyer's a figurehead coach...blah blah blah...Coyer has hemorrhoids, etc.
    Last year, the Bucs were 22nd in the league in scoring defense, and the Broncos were #8--this year, the Bucs are #2 and the Broncos are #31. I realize that from that fact you cannot infer causality, but it is still a remarkable coincidence. Obviously the Broncos personnel issues are the #1 reason for the on field performance of the Broncos...and Bates might have done a better job than Coyer as a DL coach in Tampa, or Coyer a worse job than Bates as a Denver DC...all I'm sayin' is that Coyer has to feel a little bit smug about getting fired and then taking a leadership role in what is presently one of the league's elite D's, therefore, Coyer 1, Bates 0--but it should probably be Coyer 1, Shanny/Sundquist 0.

Someone claimed that Coyer is basically a no-factor in the Tampa D. Good point--who needs position coaches? Those guys are there for the paycheck, but that's prolly it, huh? Especially position coaches with the experience of being a DC and knowing how all the pieces fit...I wonder why Gruden was shaking Coyer's hand in welcome as he was leaving Shanny's office? My guess is that the Bucs had too much money and not enough fireplaces.

I hope Bates gets his players soon, because I happen to agree that Bates > Coyer...but right now it's pretty damn grim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

Our problems with the run defense did not start this year. In fact we had the exact same problems at the end of last season. Remember how LT ran all over us...TWICE! Then LJ in KC had a field day. Frank Gore had a heck of a game as well.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information