Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a person kick a ball farther or throw a ball farther

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Can a person kick a ball farther or throw a ball farther

which one goes farther?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Interesting question. I would probably say kick. Seems the upper limit of how far a QB can throw a ball on the fly is around 70 yards or so. Kickoffs routinely go further than that.

I'd say it's pretty even. There are some quarterbacks who can throw the ball 90+ yards.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I'd say it's pretty even. There are some quarterbacks who can throw the ball 90+ yards.
    On the fly? I highly doubt it. Not a regulation NFL football.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    On the fly? I highly doubt it. Not a regulation NFL football.
    John Elway did it....and in San Diego, 90 yards in the air. My son is only 16 and he can chuck it about 55-60 yards in the air. Michael Vick was reputed to be able to throw a ball 100 yards....there's a long list of qb's who have been able to chuck it in the 90 yard range. Brett Favre chucked it over 85 yards in the qb competition back in the day they use to have skill competitions at the pro bowl.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

It depends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

7. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

John Elway did it....and in San Diego, 90 yards in the air. My son is only 16 and he can chuck it about 55-60 yards in the air. Michael Vick was reputed to be able to throw a ball 100 yards....there's a long list of qb's who have been able to chuck it in the 90 yard range. Brett Favre chucked it over 85 yards in the qb competition back in the day they use to have skill competitions at the pro bowl.
    Did Kyle Orton participate? Just curious.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

It depends on the person.

John Elway can throw a football farther than he can kick it.

Matt Prater can kick a football farther than he can throw it.

Moar threds!!!1!!!1

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I can throw a baseball farther than I can kick it.

13. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I can also kick a soccer ball farther than I can throw it.

15. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

I can probably kick a cheeseburger faster than I can eat it. But I'd rather eat it.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I can catch hail quicker than I can hail a cab if it counts for anything.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Farthest throw I've seen was 72 yds from Randall Cunningham at the old NFL QB Challenge on TV. Most years most guys were in the 60-65 range. That's about the limit for accurate kicks though, too. I think it's about even, and that's not as surprising as it might seem if we consider passing power mainly comes from legs and hips—just like kicking power. It also depends what we want (e.g. accuracy vs. raw distance,) and the ground (air?) rules. Ball travel (i.e. end-over-end vs. an aerodynamic point-first spiral) makes a difference. So do drop kicks bouncing off the ground first rather than kicking a stationary ball from a tee or hold.

My bet is it's pretty close to a wash for most folks, but the spiral and ability to guide balls with hand and fingers makes the throw more accurate. Prater or someone bounced a kickoff off an upright yesterday, and that's 75 yds from the tee, but it didn't go THROUGH the uprights, and on the rare occasions one does it takes a strong leg and lots of luck.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Also, I assume this is through the air, not counting the roll? There's an apocryphal story in The Hidden Game of Football about Arnie Herbers (perhaps the first true bomber) teammates betting him he couldn't throw a ball the length of the field if they gave him the roll. So he stands on the goal line, heaves it downfield, it hits at the 15—and bounces BACK because the angle was so sharp, just like the other Packers expected.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I have a hard time believing Elway threw an NFL football 90 yards in the air or that Vick threw one 100. I would have to see video to believe that.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information