Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: The Official "We Haven't Accomplished Anything Yet" Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Defense. Wins. Championships.
    I certainly hope that rings true this year.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I started this thread 2 years. 4 months and 4 days ago. At the time it was obvious that our offense had no equal in the League, but I worried about our defense. We finished the season with an amazing, record-setting offense. Blew the doors off of the league until we got to the Super Bowl.

The best offenses seem to falter against the best defenses in the big game.

Now, almost 2 1/2 years later, we have the best defense. No question. Our offense is not anything like it was two years ago, but we have a Championship caliber defense. And now, as fate would have it, we are facing the #1 scoring offense in the SuperBowl.

Now's the time. If Defense wins Championships, now's the time to accomplish what he haven't in 17 years.

We still haven't officially accomplished anything.

If Denver's defense comes up big like all know they are capable of and if Manning and offense can play a clean game and gets some points on the board they will win.

I started this thread 2 years. 4 months and 4 days ago. At the time it was obvious that our offense had no equal in the League, but I worried about our defense. We finished the season with an amazing, record-setting offense. Blew the doors off of the league until we got to the Super Bowl.

The best offenses seem to falter against the best defenses in the big game.

Now, almost 2 1/2 years later, we have the best defense. No question. Our offense is not anything like it was two years ago, but we have a Championship caliber defense. And now, as fate would have it, we are facing the #1 scoring offense in the SuperBowl.

Now's the time. If Defense wins Championships, now's the time to accomplish what he haven't in 17 years.

We still haven't officially accomplished anything.

The difference is THIS offense is #1 BECAUSE of, not DESPITE, its line. They (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually gain rushing yards (more often than passing; that's how they got here,) so we can't just knock the crap out of Cam and his WRs, drop both safeties PLUS a CB into deep zone and 4 LBs into short zones punishing WRs. And if we stop the run, they can (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually protect Cam well enough he's not running for his life all game.

Blocking. Beats. Defense.

Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games; if our offense can't win the game, our defense can't win a championship.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

And we still haven't accomplished anything yet. Must win the game to be taken seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The difference is THIS offense is #1 BECAUSE of, not DESPITE, its line. They (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually gain rushing yards (more often than passing; that's how they got here,) so we can't just knock the crap out of Cam and his WRs, drop both safeties PLUS a CB into deep zone and 4 LBs into short zones punishing WRs. And if we stop the run, they can (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually protect Cam well enough he's not running for his life all game.

Blocking. Beats. Defense.

Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games; if our offense can't win the game, our defense can't win a championship.
    This is totally bogus.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

DEFENSE. WINS. CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I guess we can put this thread to bed for a while.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Reckon so, and I'm big enough to admit I was wrong: Our D actually IS so good it didn't MATTER how bad our offense was. Without Vons strip-sacks that's a tie game; without them and Norwoods huge return it's a loss: Our offense only managed a FG on our opening drive and another after Ganos doink. But Camolinas offensive line, which played well and enabled a solid balanced offense all year, couldn't stop nor even slow our D after all. Even in the NFL, I guess defense still wins championships.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

10. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

It's ironic that as scoring has gone up since 2000, defense wins championships more than ever.

12 of the top 16 scoring offenses of all time, including the 2015 Panthers have happened since the 2000 season. No accident since they changed the rules to favor the offense.

But only 1 of those 12 teams won the SB, the 2009 Saints, and 4 of them lost in the SB, including the #16 all-time Panthers, who scored 500 points, an average of 31.25 points a game during the regular season, but only 10 points in the SB. The 2013 Broncos were even worse, scoring an average of 37.9 ppg but only 8 during the SB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Reckon so, and I'm big enough to admit I was wrong: Our D actually IS so good it didn't MATTER how bad our offense was. Without Vons strip-sacks that's a tie game; without them and Norwoods huge return it's a loss: Our offense only managed a FG on our opening drive and another after Ganos doink. But Camolinas offensive line, which played well and enabled a solid balanced offense all year, couldn't stop nor even slow our D after all. Even in the NFL, I guess defense still wins championships.
    I didn't know there was any question that "even in the NFL...defense still wins championships". Two years ago Seattle proved that to be true. Last year New England proved that to be true.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games;
    So much for that #1 offense you were crowing about.

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I didn't know there was any question that "even in the NFL...defense still wins championships". Two years ago Seattle proved that to be true. Last year New England proved that to be true.
    I was thinking along these lines:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    It's ironic that as scoring has gone up since 2000, defense wins championships more than ever.
    The only thing NE* proved last year is that Pete Carroll's often too sneaky for his own good. His 2013 squad ran into an offense that was #1 SOLELY because of Manning and DESPITE utter inability to run block or pass protect. Camolina has a good line though, and it... didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    So much for that #1 offense you were crowing about.
    Er, no, I was fretting about the #19 offense vs. #6 D. The #1 offense vs. a D #1 in every important category EXCEPT scoring was a much milder worry; as I noted several times before the game, Cam had all but 9 of that offenses 54 TDS this year, so containing him would be containing it. I just didn't figure our D could last a whole SB if our offense never showed up to give them a rest and scoring cushion. Turns out our D is just THAT good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

For a year.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information