Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sources: NFL mulls 14 playoff teams

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Sources: NFL mulls 14 playoff teams

The NFL is urgently discussing a new scheduling formula that would include a three-game preseason and could also feature an expanded postseason field from 12 to 14 teams, sources league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

The expanded postseason proposal would offset teams' lost revenue from the elimination of a preseason game, and it also could lead to additional television revenues for the league.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell alluded to the league's interest in the new scheduling model during an interview this past week, although he said the changes likely would not happen in 2014.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...on-sources-say

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

I wouldn't mind it. There are some good teams that go 10-6, but they're in a good division. Then a sucky team makes their division sucks. These 2 extra spot should get in those good teams that miss out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I love it
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The Chiefs organization has been a driving force behind this for years. They were begting for this decades ago. Makes sense if you're the Chiefs I guess.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Also. I'm all for less preseason games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

source; dogfish mulls stabbing goodell in the face

why not just let 'em all in?

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    source; dogfish mulls stabbing goodell in the face why not just let 'em all in?
    seriously? It's TWO teams

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    seriously? It's TWO teams
    this isn't hockey-- making the playoffs actually means something. . .

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    this isn't hockey-- making the playoffs actually means something. . .
    Hockey is 16 teams with no first round bye. Hockey playoffs also last three months and are all best of seven series. But hey if you wanna trash hockey be my guest.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Hockey is hockey and what they do works for them, hardest trophy to win IMHO. But I see what Dog is saying too, 14 teams is damn near half(I know it's not actually half) and that's too many if you ask me. I also think that bye week for the top two in each conferance needs to stay, we need to reward those teams because that is hard to do. Just my opinion on the matter.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

I'm all for trashing hockey, but I see nothing wrong with 16 teams. If you have double digit wins, you should be in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I'm all for trashing hockey, but I see nothing wrong with 16 teams. If you have double digit wins, you should be in.
    How do you feel about 8-8 teams?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Getting to the Playoffs in Football means something. Make this change and it means a lot less. Win your division or be good enough to get the wild card. I don't want the NFL turned into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs and it means virtually nothing to make it. Actually in the NBA it's worse to make it as the 8th seed than miss because of their draft process.

I am against this all the way. 1st 14 then 16. If you get to 16 teams in you will have teams with 8-8 records winning wild card battles. If you can't win your division then why should you be average and get in? It's not every year 10-6 teams miss the playoffs but I don't feel bad for the ones that do. Should have won your division.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    How do you feel about 8-8 teams?
    I'm torn about it. A .500 record is pretty crappy for a playoff team. At the same time, the team probably won its division. So, I think you can't kick a division winner out of the playoffs, but I don't think they should get the favor when it comes to seeding. A 10-6 team deserves a better seed than an 8-8 team, along with the home field advantage it comes with.

Part of the problem with football in general is the low number of games. You only have so many games you can work with. It's a really small sample size to figure out who should be in the playoffs, or bowl game, etc. I'm not saying we need a longer season. But I think that's the difficulty with football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I'm torn about it. A .500 record is pretty crappy for a playoff team. At the same time, the team probably won its division. So, I think you can't kick a division winner out of the playoffs, but I don't think they should get the favor when it comes to seeding. A 10-6 team deserves a better seed than an 8-8 team, along with the home field advantage it comes with.

Part of the problem with football in general is the low number of games. You only have so many games you can work with. It's a really small sample size to figure out who should be in the playoffs, or bowl game, etc. I'm not saying we need a longer season. But I think that's the difficulty with football.
    I think there's only one or two examples in the last six or seven seasons where a double-digit win team hasn't gotten in. If you expand to 16 you're including almost all the 8-8 teams. At 14, you're letting in most 9-7 teams.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information