Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Woodyard's hit on Pryor Legal?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Default Was Woodyard's hit on Pryor Legal?

I can't quite understand the position of the League and the calls the refs make in games. By all outward appearance, I was expecting a flag on that play.

I know you 'lose some protections' if you run the football, but I still thought helmet-to-helmet was illegal?

What do you guys think? Was this a clean hit? A bad, but unintentional hit that should have been flagged?

Last edited by wayninja; 09-24-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm about to start rewatching the game. I will take a closer look at it to see.

Adopted Bronco:

If that hit was illegal, then the hit on DT when he dropped the pass on the goal line should warrant a huge fine

4. The Following 9 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Pryor was a running back on that play because he was running the ball. Inside the tackles, and within 1 yard of the LoS, there are no helmet to helmet illegal hits.

It was a good hit. Solid hit, and the ONLY way you can tackle a runner that is crouched over going through the line.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

6. The Following 16 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Was it inside the tackle box? I think it might have been if we're thinking the same play. HTH hits are still legal inside the tackle box
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I can't quite understand the position of the League and the calls the refs make in games. By all outward appearance, I was expecting a flag on that play.

I know you 'lose some protections' if you run the football, but I still thought helmet-to-helmet was illegal?

What do you guys think? Was this a clean hit? A bad, but unintentional hit that should have been flagged?
    Woodyard did not lead with his head nor did he target Pryor's head = good hit. Woodyard led with his shoulder. I thought there helmets making contact was a residual effect of the speed/violence of Woodyard's shoulder to Pryor's chest/chin area. No flag, no fine, no warning.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

It's not 100% clear, but it looks to me like it was out of the tackle box.

But even in the tackle box, why is HTH legal? I just don't understand the message the league is trying to send. If safety is paramount, how is this justified?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm about to start rewatching the game. I will take a closer look at it to see.
    Looks like you added in the video so nevermind!

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

But even in the tackle box, why is HTH legal? I just don't understand the message the league is trying to send. If safety is paramount, how is this justified?
    I think because they are unavoidable in the box and within a yard - and mostly because they are not high velocity high speed hits the way a HTH on a sack or crossing route is
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If that hit was illegal, then the hit on DT when he dropped the pass on the goal line should warrant a huge fine
    Agreed with this. I didn't think the hit on Thomas was that bad, honestly, but the way they've been calling penalties this year, this absolutely should have been called. Would have led to one more TD too

14. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Because how is a DT that startd down on all fours, head first fighting against a 300 lb lineman suppose to NOT hit a RB that is coming through the line...head first...without making contact helmet to helmet?

If they called a HTH hit in that area, it would be almost on every running play. At least the league understands that there are situations where it just can't be avoided.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

In the video, you can see that our LB led with his shoulder, not his head.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I think because they are unavoidable in the box and within a yard - and mostly because they are not high velocity high speed hits the way a HTH on a sack or crossing route is
    Pryor has a concussion. Isn't that what they are trying to avoid?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor do I disagree with you, I'm just trying to clear the mud the league creates...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If it was outside the tackle box it wasn't by much. Looks like he got hit right where the RT was standing at the snap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    In the video, you can see that our LB led with his shoulder, not his head.
    He still hits Pryor under the chin with the crown of his helmet. Does intention factor into it?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information