Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Woodyard's hit on Pryor Legal?

I think he heard wrong.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think he heard wrong.
    He did say it was a good hit though, so he didn't seem to think it was illegal himself.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You can't tell that's it Pyor's facemask hitting Woodyard's earhole?
    Looks to me like it ends up at the ear hole, but definitely doesn't start there. After Pryor's head is turned, and Woodyard continues through, the facemask ends up at the ear hole.

I'll give up on the crown thing as clearly the consensus is that it wasn't the crown. Again, I agree that he didn't use his crown, I'm simply trying to play devils advocate.

I still did expect to see a flag though. I almost always do when I see a QB get hurt.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Looks to me like it ends up at the ear hole, but definitely doesn't start there. After Pryor's head is turned, and Woodyard continues through, the facemask ends up at the ear hole.

I'll give up on the crown thing as clearly the consensus is that it wasn't the crown. Again, I agree that he didn't use his crown, I'm simply trying to play devils advocate.

I still did expect to see a flag though. I almost always do when I see a QB get hurt.
    I didn't really expect a flag here. The league has made it a point of emphasis this year that running QBs will get no more protection from refs than a RB does. If you've noticed, Harbaugh and Carroll have both made a stink about it because people are taking shots at their QBs on read option plays. So I think the refs were actually being consistent by not calling a penalty on Woodyard.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I didn't really expect a flag here. The league has made it a point of emphasis this year that running QBs will get no more protection from refs than a RB does. If you've noticed, Harbaugh and Carroll have both made a stink about it because people are taking shots at their QBs on read option plays. So I think the refs were actually being consistent by not calling a penalty on Woodyard.
    My issue is the lack of consistency. I think we had a play last week (or maybe the week before?) where I believe Moore made a smashing lead-with-shoulder hit that resulted in a penalty. My beef isn't so much with the rules as they are written, but the difficulty in enforcing subjective guidelines with no review option.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The NFL seems to fine based on results, not rules. I would not be surprised to find out mid-week that Woodyard gets fined but the video I am seeing here seems clear. Woodyard hit Pryor's shoulder first and the momentum carried forward into HTH so, IMO, it's a legal hit.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    They are only supposed to penalize them for it if it's outside the tackle box as well if I remember the rule correctly.
    I thought the stipulation was "open field."
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

My issue is the lack of consistency. I think we had a play last week (or maybe the week before?) where I believe Moore made a smashing lead-with-shoulder hit that resulted in a penalty. My beef isn't so much with the rules as they are written, but the difficulty in enforcing subjective guidelines with no review option.
    Ahh.. but what you are forgetting is that the refs themselves are the ones on the field making that 1/4 second distinction at the time of the play. That doesnt' have anything to do with the NFL and it's rules, but the split second interpretation of those rules. The play you saw that did get a penalty may have been a legal hit and should NOT have been called. I think watching this one in slow motion shows that the refs did a great job of NOT calling it. It's possible, had we had a different ref crew at the game last night, that t hey MIGHT have called that an illegal hit.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

12. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I thought the stipulation was "open field."
    helmet-crown hits by running backs when they are outside the tackle box or more than three yards downfield.

14. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Woodyard did not lead with his head nor did he target Pryor's head = good hit. Woodyard led with his shoulder. I thought there helmets making contact was a residual effect of the speed/violence of Woodyard's shoulder to Pryor's chest/chin area. No flag, no fine, no warning.
    It was vividly obvious: Woodyard's head was to the side as he hit Pryor.
    Absolutely a clean hit. No doubt about it.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

16. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

That was against a defenseless receiver. Upon review it was clean, but at full speed it was close enough that it's a forgivable mistake. Big difference between runner and defenseless receiver though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    helmet-crown hits by running backs when they are outside the tackle box or more than three yards downfield.
    Watch the video I linked above, it is not limited to running backs. The new rule added running backs but it applies to defensive players as well. The second scenario discussed in the video is the exact same scenario as the Woodyard tackle, and explains why no flag and why it will not be fined.

20. The Following User High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I think that hit was fine. I got a bit concerned early in the game when Moore (i think it was him) hit a defenseless receiver. Moore used his shoulder but ive seen so many plays like that get flagged that i was automatically assuming he would get one. Glad he didnt though.

22. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think that hit was fine. I got a bit concerned early in the game when Moore (i think it was him) hit a defenseless receiver. Moore used his shoulder but ive seen so many plays like that get flagged that i was automatically assuming he would get one. Glad he didnt though.
    I'm watching NFL replay at the moment, the very first play of the game had a 49er get flagged under the new 'crown of the helmet' rule, but looking in slow mo, it was obvious that the defender turned his head and led with his shoulder. The announcers were appropriately apologizing for the refs.

I guess I just don't like the rule. Subjective rules suck, especially when they aren't reviewable.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Me too. I remember that and th inking "Oh crap, that stupid rule is going to bite us here."

Which is why I was also glad they didn't make a call against the Raiders on the hit to DT. As a football guy, I WANT the safeties to try and hit recievers so that they don't catch balls. That is their JOB. That is football. This "let them catch it to see if its ok to then tackle them" crap, is taking away from the game.

Both good, non calls.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information