Thread: Tomb Raider - 360/PS3

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Tomb Raider - 360/PS3

I used to review games often here as the unofficial games reviewer, but time constraints have made that impossible. However, I cannot say enough about the latest Tomb Raider that was released in March 2013. I picked it up two weeks ago and finally finished it.

I was sad that I finished it and it was over, that says a lot about the immersiveness of the game. Normally I'd resell it but this is a keeper.

This Tomb Raider reboot starts before Lara Croft is a famous archaeologist. She becomes shipwrecked on an island with unnatural goings on. This is a survival game first and exploration game second, but it wouldn't be Tomb Raider without the obligatory artifacts to find. Lara can be stealthy too and take out enemies silently, but youll never confuse her with Solid Snake.

Presentation - Easy to use menus amd intuitive upgrade system. Lara's origin story is told brilliantly. One can never have played a TR game before, and you'll be jumping around and exploring in no time. The controls are easy to just pick up and play.

There's a Survival Instinct vision that highlights objectives, similar to Batman's Detective Vision in the Arkham series. Some may see it as a cheat, but in too many TR games after being left like WTF do I do, it's a welcome option.

Gameplay - The days of Lara controlling like a tank are gone. She moves quickly, silky and smooth, and the camera actually works, possibly a first for a TR title. All the controls for Lara's acrobatics are a breeze to perform from the start. The gadgets and weapon selection is simple. The aiming system and shooting feels natural.

Graphics - Photorealistic environs and great views, there player is encouraged to look around and behind the gorgeous vistas. Lara's movement is realistic, especially when she is skulking and crawling around. The game is one of the best looking games I've seen.

Sound - The island environs come to life. Animals sound alive. Weapons crack accordingly and explosions thunder. Enemy dialogue is always different. The music comes through during dramatic moments, as is the norm if the series.

Content - There is a multiplayer mode but it is simply tacked on, the star of this game is the campaign, which is easily 20 hours. In a gaming world where team deathmatch multiplayer is too abundant, a long campaign with an actual story worth telling is welcome.

I was sad to finish this game it really is that good. The polish shown on this game makes others look downright pathetic. This game is a genre breaker. Stealth, action/adventure, survival, third person shooting, puzzle solving all rolled into one brilliant package. If you never played a TR title play this. A must play. Absolutely worth the investment. Easy to recommend.

10/10

Rated M for Mature: Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

My wife loved it

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information