Thread: Migrating to new server 9/16 -- server will be down part of the day

Default Migrating to new server 9/16 -- server will be down part of the day

Hi, after the lack of support when the server was compromised last week, I'm moving to a more expensive, but more "managed support" centric data center. While normally I only make these moves during the offseason, in this case, after what just happened, the the fact that I will be traveling on business nearly every week between now and November 1st, including 15 days in Germany with large windows of time where I will be completely unavailable, I don't feel comfortable with the support at the data center where the BroncosForums server is currently located.

My plan is to get the new server online and completely setup over the weekend, with all of the security hardening and all that stuff. And then sometime Monday AM (probably not super early like normal, because I will be working until after midnight Sunday night), I will take BroncosForums down, migrate all of the files and databases to the new server, change the DNS records, and bring it back online.

As things never go 100% as planned, I would anticipate up to 2 hours to move BroncosForums.com, and then in theory only 15-30 minutes after that you should start being directed to the new server. However, not all ISPs (internet providers) follow the DNS rules, so in some cases, if your ISP only updates their DNS information every 6, 12 or 24 hours, you could see longer downtimes.

I'll post further updates on this throughout the weekend.

UPDATE: I might hold off until Late Tuesday night/ early Monday AM to give us Monday to talk about the Sunday night game, but still have plenty of time to make sure all is sorted out before the evil Raiders invade Mile High.
    Last edited by Tned; 09-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Thanks T, you're the best!!

4. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

See update at bottom of original post on timing.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information