Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Team Tourney

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1959 Giants 31 - 1978 Rams 20

This was the first time I had played against the 59 Giants, and I'm impressed. They have a strong well balanced offense, with Charley Conerly and Frank Gifford providing a lot of balance, and they throw well for a 1950's team. I was able to make little headway with the plodding 78 Rams running backs against Sam Huff and the Giants defense, and Pat Haden isn't really good enough on his own to beat a good team with his arm.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...8-rams-20.html
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1979 Steelers 27 - 1959 Colts 24

A real barn burner, with over 900 yards total offense combined, and 3 lead changes in the final 3 minutes or so. The Steelers opened the fireworks with a long run around left end for Rocky Bleier, and the Steeler RB's repeated gouged the soft Colts run defense for huge gains all game long. Johnny U. retaliated with a splendid performance, but just not quite enough to knock off the Steelers.

I hate losing to the Steelers, but this was a fun one. The 79 Steelers are the best of the Steel Curtain teams offensively, though not as defensively brutal as some of their earlier incarnations.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...-colts-24.html

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1963 Bears 19 - 1981 49ers 14

The 63 Bears feature the most fearsome pass defense in the tournament, and arguably the best overall defense. That is saying something when you consider the competition. This is matched by perhaps the weakest low octane offense of any participants, but in this one it was enough. The Bears were able to hold Joe Montana to just over 50% completions, while picking him off twice and freezing the Niners out of the end zone all game. In an oddity, both defenses recorded a safety in something of a rarity.

These Bears are a dull team, but they survived to torment another opponent.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...-49ers-14.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1984 49ers 20 - 1965 Bills 6

A tough matchup for the Bills became nearly impossible as injuries knocked out both QB Jack Kemp and HB Billy Joe against the powerhouse 15-1 49ers. The Bills just didn't have the hosses to hang with Joe Montana and co. though their defense put in a decent show against a really high powered attack. The 84 Niners could win this thing

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...-colts-24.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1963 Giants 24 1980 Falcons 14
    The Giants played a solid game, with the superb Y.A. Tittle playing almost flawlessly and the defense holding dangerous William Andrews in check while sacking Steve Bartkowski six times. The 80 Falcons are a very good team, with a well balanced offense and sound defense, but they were up against one of the sleeper powerhouses of the tourney, and were unable to force errors. In real life Tittle's numbers for 1963 were almost insane. In an era when DB's were allowed to mug WR's, and pass rushers were allowed to brutalize offensive lines he threw for a then record 36 TD's in 14 games, and averaged 8.6 yards per attempt. The Giants led the League in scoring with 448 points in a 14 game season, 79 better than the next best Packers.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...alcons-14.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1986 Bear 22 - 1967 Rams 7
    Of 29 total points scored in this game 16 were from the two defenses, as two defensive heavyweights squared off. The Bears got off to a fast start, with Mike Singletary picking off the first pass from scrimmage and returning it for a fast TD. Both QB's Roman Gabriel and Jim McMahon struggled in this one, and the two run defense bottled up the opposing running games very effectively. The biggest difference was that the Bears capitalized on their limited offensive output, while the Rams could not, and Rams kicker Bruce Gossett flubbed three FG attempts.

A critical advantage for many newer teams is the awful quality of a lot of the old time FG kickers, and this game was such a case.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...67-rams-7.html
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 09-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.

9. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

A couple of administrative notes as to how I am doing this. Obviously, NFL rules have changed over the decades, causing some incompatibilities. I'm partly dealing with this by flipping a coin to determine the home team, and the games are played using the rules current at that time, e.g. 15 yard holding penalties in the 50's and 60's, no 2 point conversions except for games played at AFL stadiums, missed FG's go to the 20, or LOS, or 7 yards behind the LOS as appropriate, etc.

Anyone can feel free to comment in the thread, or not. That will also kind of let me know f posting the games is worthwhile.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The Topscribe bracket. lmao.

Never the less, great idea but i need to catch up on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    First game in the books, and an upset. The 1978 Steel Curtain falls to the 1957 Lions. The Steelers had a catastrophic start, as the ballhawking Lions picked off Terry Bradshaw 3 times in the first half en route to 24 unanswered points and a 24-3 halftime margin. Pittsburgh launched a furious comeback, finally scoring a TD with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and racked up 3 more TD's in the 4th - but too little, too late. Detroit ran 50 times for 254 yards, led by sledge hammer FB John Henry Johnson with 71 yards. Even an injury to Lions QB Bobby Layne (allegedly - I suspect he was hung over) was not enough to stop the Lions

This one was far higher scoring than I anticipated, as both teams are defensive powerhouses.

1957 Lions 45 - 1978 Steelers 30
    Boxscore - its a little clumsy, but scroll down

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...eelers-30.html
    Every Bradshaw hater just creamed themselves.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Anyone can feel free to comment in the thread, or not. That will also kind of let me know f posting the games is worthwhile.
    I actually really love this. Please continue.

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1966 Chiefs 33 - 1983 Redskins 16

The Redskins suffered from some bad luck and an awful outing by Joe Theismann, who threw 3 picks and ended with a QB rating of 34. Typical of how this game would go for the Skins, after taking a 3-0 lead they blocked a KC punt on the ensuing drive - only to fumble the ball away attempting to return the blocked kick. KC then drove for a go ahead TD, and would never relinquish the lead. The Chiefs have a potent offense, potent enough to overcome five turnovers of their own, and were successful at exploiting a couple of very weak links in the Washington secondary, especially with SE Chris Burford, as Darrell Green had FL Otis Taylor pretty well locked down.

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...dskins-16.html

17. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A couple of administrative notes as to how I am doing this. Obviously, NFL rules have changed over the decades, causing some incompatibilities. I'm partly dealing with this by flipping a coin to determine the home team, and the games are played using the rules current at that time, e.g. 15 yard holding penalties in the 50's and 60's, no 2 point conversions except for games played at AFL stadiums, missed FG's go to the 20, or LOS, or 7 yards behind the LOS as appropriate, etc.

Keep posting...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

1988 Bills 20 - 1970 Vikings 16

4 turnovers doomed the offensively weak 1970 Vikings, with 3 lost fumbles and an interception. The Vikes defense did a decent job holding down the Bills "K-gun" offense, and Gary Cuozzo was able to hit speedy Gene Washington with a couple of deep balls, but the Vikings offense fizzled in Bills territory all game long, only scoring a TD on a Hail Mary pass as the game expired.

The Vikings defense was very frustrating to try to move against, but they are a boring team, and I'm glad to see the last of them

http://dreadnoughttourney.blogspot.c...ikings-16.html

21. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It would be a nice idea to show us some updated brackets from time to time. Otherwise, carry on. I'm enjoying this!
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Pretty cool Dread.

Daddy Colquitt punting for the Steelers.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information