Thread: MLB to expand instant replay in 2014

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default MLB to expand instant replay in 2014

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Calling it a historic moment, Commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball plans to expand its video review process next season, giving managers a tool they've never had in an effort to dramatically reduce the number of incorrect calls made in games.

Selig made the announcement after two days of meetings with representatives of the 30 teams. The proposal is to be voted on by the owners in November.

"I'm proud of them," Selig said of the replay committee. "It's worked out remarkably well. It's historic. There's no question about it."
    rest - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...deo-challenges

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

About freaking time. There was really no good reason not to have put this in years ago. Better late than never though.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Now those three-hour snoozefests will be 3-1/2-hour snoozefests.

The only way it won't lengthen the time of games will be if they now forbid managers from running out onto the field to argue calls. Have them toss a pine tar rag or a batting helmet onto the field before the next pitch is thrown and make them stay in the dugouts.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Now those three-hour snoozefests will be 3-1/2-hour snoozefests.

The only way it won't lengthen the time of games will be if they now forbid managers from running out onto the field to argue calls. Have them toss a pine tar rag or a batting helmet onto the field before the next pitch is thrown and make them stay in the dugouts.
    If each manager gets two challenges a game, that might add 10 minutes. On average, I doubt it adds more than 5 per game. Would you not say that is worth getting more calls right.

Adopted Bronco:

Baseball haters will always be baseball haters...no matter how much the game is cleaned up or the flow is improved.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I would rather see a challenge system similar to tennis where once per at bat, the batter can challenge a called strike call. The technology is in place to do so, it would take less than a minute to show if/where the ball crossed the strike zone, and it would keep umps from squeezing pitchers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    If each manager gets two challenges a game, that might add 10 minutes. On average, I doubt it adds more than 5 per game. Would you not say that is worth getting more calls right.
    I agree. It just doesn't seem like a legitimate concern to me. Managers spend more time yelling at umps on close calls than it takes to replay the call and get it right, so timewise, it's going to be a wash.

Anyway, games last so long because umps allow batters so much time between pitches, not because of replay.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I agree. It just doesn't seem like a legitimate concern to me. Managers spend more time yelling at umps on close calls than it takes to replay the call and get it right, so timewise, it's going to be a wash.

Anyway, games last so long because umps allow batters so much time between pitches, not because of replay.
    Agree with both of these. The time of the average challenge would easily be shorter than the average manager argument. And now that a manager can challenge, he should be immediately ejected if he holds up the game to argue.

The second part is spot on too. Along with that, some pitchers take forever between pitches. College baseball recently put in a mandatory pitch clock between pitches and that really helped to speed up games.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Wanna get more calls right? Start by firing Angel F'g Hernandez.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Baseball haters will always be baseball haters...no matter how much the game is cleaned up or the flow is improved.
    But this doesn't improve the flow. Do challenges improve the flow of an NFL game? No way.

They now review every critical play and have taken away the coaches challenges during the most critical times of the game. The TV networks probably like all the challenges because they can fit in more commercials but the fans in the stands have to sit through a boring 2-3 minutes every time there is a review.

Team A scores a touchdown on a questionable call. Time out while we review the TD. Extra point. Time out while we live through another two minutes of commercials while we await the kickoff. Kickoff sails over the end line. Touchback. Time for two more minutes of commercials. Start of next series - approximately 7 minutes after the last live touchdown.

Baseball already has enough breaks to slow it down still more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

But this doesn't improve the flow. Do challenges improve the flow of an NFL game? No way.

They now review every critical play and have taken away the coaches challenges during the most critical times of the game. The TV networks probably like all the challenges because they can fit in more commercials but the fans in the stands have to sit through a boring 2-3 minutes every time there is a review.

Team A scores a touchdown on a questionable call. Time out while we review the TD. Extra point. Time out while we live through another two minutes of commercials while we await the kickoff. Kickoff sails over the end line. Touchback. Time for two more minutes of commercials. Start of next series - approximately 7 minutes after the last live touchdown.

Baseball already has enough breaks to slow it down still more.
    It doesn't even sound like you are much of a baseball fan in the first place, so why do you care?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

It doesn't even sound like you are much of a baseball fan in the first place, so why do you care?
    First of all, if you were to look through other baseball threads, you will see my regular participation. Plus I own and contribute daily (in season) to a baseball website. My name is credited with researching and proofreading a baseball book that was published this spring. I think all of that qualifies me as "caring" about baseball.

Secondly, it's insulting to suggest that my opinion is somehow invalid because I don't meet some arbitrary level of "caring". That's an absurd talking point. Even if I despised the game, why would that make my opinions less valid than yours?

I'm making the well-reasoned argument that more replays will slow down the game and upset its rhythm. And if you think an instant replay will cut down on arguments, you haven't been paying attention. Umps have been sustaining calls all year even when the video replay evidence was clear the umps got it wrong. The umpires are unionized and see video replay as usurping their authority so they have been standing by even their bad decisions in protest. Angel Hernandez' call denying Oakland a no-doubt game-tying home run in Cleveland earlier this year is Exhibit A.

Now whether I "care" or not matters nothing in this discussion. I bring up the football analogy only because it is the only other major sport currently using coaches challenges and we see how they add total time to the game. If you pay money to attend a game, you want to watch action, not committee meetings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I assumed you didn't care much about baseball because you called it a "three hour snoozefest". I don't know many fans of sports that call the sport they like a snoozefest.

And it would be a totally valid talking point. If, for example, someone never watched a baseball game (not saying that applies to you), their opinion on whether or not there should be replay would be completely irrelevant since they don't watch the sport in the first place.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

All you have to do is listen to a radio broadcast of a football game and a baseball game and you'll instantly realize that a baseball game has more dead time the announcers have to fill in with some comment or anecdote. There's often 30-45 seconds in between pitches even without player conferences or delays to clean spikes or get a new bat or soft-toss to first to keep a runner close, etc.

Football has more timeouts but they also have a 30-second clock so the time between plays typically is faster and the announcers have less time to describe the previous play or begin telling some story. It's usually during the timeouts that they begin talking about that.

Go to a baseball game and watch how many people are distracted by their cell phones, trips to concession stands, beer drinking and who knows what else whereas your typical football crowd is more engaged in what is going on on the field.

Baseball's tempo is fine for the hot, lazy summers but it can also seem really slow and dull. Baseball executives have fretted how longer games are turning away fans (so has the NFL but less so). When I was a boy, most ballgames would be finished in under 2-1/2 hours. Today, it is rare to find a baseball game that's over in 2:45. Most take three hours to 3:15.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

All you have to do is listen to a radio broadcast of a football game and a baseball game and you'll instantly realize that a baseball game has more dead time the announcers have to fill in with some comment or anecdote. There's often 30-45 seconds in between pitches even without player conferences or delays to clean spikes or get a new bat or soft-toss to first to keep a runner close, etc.

Football has more timeouts but they also have a 30-second clock so the time between plays typically is faster and the announcers have less time to describe the previous play or begin telling some story. It's usually during the timeouts that they begin talking about that.

Go to a baseball game and watch how many people are distracted by their cell phones, trips to concession stands, beer drinking and who knows what else whereas your typical football crowd is more engaged in what is going on on the field.

Baseball's tempo is fine for the hot, lazy summers but it can also seem really slow and dull. Baseball executives have fretted how longer games are turning away fans (so has the NFL but less so). When I was a boy, most ballgames would be finished in under 2-1/2 hours. Today, it is rare to find a baseball game that's over in 2:45. Most take three hours to 3:15.
    Baseball IS a more conversational and relaxed game. There's 162 games versus 16, so naturally fans aren't invested in every single pitch. Games are longer simply because umpires allow for more dead time. If they wanted to speed the game up, they should enforce the rules. Adding replay won't make games any longer, anyway, because it will eliminate manager-umpire arguments that last minutes at a time.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information