Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Instigators

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I wanna know who these 12 good ol boys are. Name em out.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

2. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I just used that number because Chaz mentioned it. I could definitely name quite a few, and most know who they are, but it really wouldn't be productive to do so and that's not really why I started this thread. I don't care to single anyone out in particular, I just care to try to make this board a better place to post.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Same here. I want in on this exclusive club.

Well, lets be honest on that. There are a number of people on here that know one another personally and have for a long time. Those people have stayed at each others houses and partied...or simply socialized and gone to a game. There is definitely a "cliche" within the board that most are not a part of.

But from one that is not a part of that cliche......I've learned to just go with it. Zam has done the same. He also knows that he can change his social "standing" if he wanted to, and knows that it would take anyone time to do that. But Zam also knows that it's not going to happen overnight, it's not going to happen with one post, and it's not going to just "occur" purely because he doesn't carry on with the same "spiel" that he has been preaching for months.

If a guy came up to you and punched you in the face, every day, for a month. Then one day instead of punching you in the face he compliments your shoes..... are you simply going to judge that guy based on his compliment alone? No. You are going to judge that person from what you've seen of him for the last month. Now, if he spent the next month being friendly to you, then I'm sure some of those old hard feeling could change and you could eventually see a different side. But it didn't happen with a single sentence.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I admit, I'm one.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

BTB, I think that you are making an assumption that no action is being taken, and nothing could be further from the truth.

There have been several reports (less in the last few weeks), and the moderating team discusses and takes action.

When someone receives multiple CYP memos, and continues to engage in the same behavior, a suspension from the board is the only recourse.

However, if someone alters their behavior, or in one case ceases posting on the board entirely, there's not much else for us to do.

If you see something, and think action needs to be taken, the report it. We try to exercise an easy rein, and unless it's agregious, it's not likely that action will be taken if someone is not reporting it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Same here. I want in on this exclusive club.
    You gotta figure out the password and secret handshake

10. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Well, lets be honest on that. There are a number of people on here that know one another personally and have for a long time. Those people have stayed at each others houses and partied...or simply socialized and gone to a game. There is definitely a "cliche" within the board that most are not a part of.

But from one that is not a part of that cliche......I've learned to just go with it. Zam has done the same. He also knows that he can change his social "standing" if he wanted to, and knows that it would take anyone time to do that. But Zam also knows that it's not going to happen overnight, it's not going to happen with one post, and it's not going to just "occur" purely because he doesn't carry on with the same "spiel" that he has been preaching for months.

If a guy came up to you and punched you in the face, every day, for a month. Then one day instead of punching you in the face he compliments your shoes..... are you simply going to judge that guy based on his compliment alone? No. You are going to judge that person from what you've seen of him for the last month. Now, if he spent the next month being friendly to you, then I'm sure some of those old hard feeling could change and you could eventually see a different side. But it didn't happen with a single sentence.
    I agree that Zam could do a lot to help himself, but we could do a lot to help the problem as well. Reading a stupid football post isn't the same as getting punched in the face. If reading stupid football posts offends you and makes you want to lash out, you probably should avoid message boards. (Not necessarily calling YOU out, just using a general "you").

I absolutely think there is a double standard in which posters can gang up on Zam with no repercussions, but if he starts lashing out in defense of himself, he gets banned. I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't have been banned, but the other posters were talking to him shouldn't have gotten to the point that it did either.

It's an easy copout to just say "well Zam should change his behavior and he will be accepted", but he shouldn't have to change how he posts. Yes he shouldn't personally attack people, but if he believes that Elway is coddling Oz and is "hiding" him or whatever, he shouldn't have to stop posting that because it's an unpopular opinion. As long as he is saying that without attacking other posters, people should not be allowed to throw personal attacks at him for it. That's my point here. I get it if someone gets ganged up on for being a douche, but I feel like many posters don't actually become douches until they get fed up with being ganged up on for their opinions.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I'm mostly just using Zam as an example since he is the most extreme and easily noticeable, but it happens all over the board. Any time a poster is known for having an unpopular opinion, it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to go into a thread on that topic without getting completely ganged up on for that opinion. Pretty much every thread turns into everyone circle-jerking the same opinion, or people ganging up on someone who disagrees with that opinion. This board didn't used to be that way.
    For the reasons I stated earlier. Tell me when was the last time someone new joined this board and has stuck on as a regular? It's been awhile. Just like in a family. The family meets sisters new boyfriend. Do they take to him immediately? Hell no. He almost goes through a gauntlet before he's accepted. But does he want to be accepted? Maybe...maybe not. Kind of the same way here.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I just used that number because Chaz mentioned it. I could definitely name quite a few, and most know who they are, but it really wouldn't be productive to do so and that's not really why I started this thread. I don't care to single anyone out in particular, I just care to try to make this board a better place to post.
    It wouldn't be any less productive than you starting this thread. If you're gonna start a stupid ass thread like this don't be a baby about it. Bring out the names. Make people aware of who all of us heathens are.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

15. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

It's not really a specific number, but if you've been on this board since 2007 and have anything around 10000 posts or higher, then you pretty much qualify as a family member here.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    BTB, I think that you are making an assumption that no action is being taken, and nothing could be further from the truth.

There have been several reports (less in the last few weeks), and the moderating team discusses and takes action.

When someone receives multiple CYP memos, and continues to engage in the same behavior, a suspension from the board is the only recourse.

However, if someone alters their behavior, or in one case ceases posting on the board entirely, there's not much else for us to do.

If you see something, and think action needs to be taken, the report it. We try to exercise an easy rein, and unless it's agregious, it's not likely that action will be taken if someone is not reporting it.
    From an outsider's point of view, it just seems like Zam is the one getting banned and the people provoking him are getting off scott free. Maybe they are getting CYP messages, but I'm not really sure how much a warning curbs that behavior.

I get that you don't want to over-moderate and the official Broncos board mass exodus that started this message board is a great example of how over-moderating can kill a board. But I think the problems on this board are a result of under-moderating and letting the old-timers kinda self police things. I get that it's hard to find a middle ground, but I think one exists.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Nice thread.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

SR

I agree that Zam could do a lot to help himself, but we could do a lot to help the problem as well. Reading a stupid football post isn't the same as getting punched in the face. If reading stupid football posts offends you and makes you want to lash out, you probably should avoid message boards. (Not necessarily calling YOU out, just using a general "you").

I absolutely think there is a double standard in which posters can gang up on Zam with no repercussions, but if he starts lashing out in defense of himself, he gets banned. I'm not necessarily saying he shouldn't have been banned, but the other posters were talking to him shouldn't have gotten to the point that it did either.

It's an easy copout to just say "well Zam should change his behavior and he will be accepted", but he shouldn't have to change how he posts. Yes he shouldn't personally attack people, but if he believes that Elway is coddling Oz and is "hiding" him or whatever, he shouldn't have to stop posting that because it's an unpopular opinion. As long as he is saying that without attacking other posters, people should not be allowed to throw personal attacks at him for it. That's my point here. I get it if someone gets ganged up on for being a douche, but I feel like many posters don't actually become douches until they get fed up with being ganged up on for their opinions.
    Its simple, if you say some stupid shit people are probably going to bust your balls for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

22. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I admit, I'm one.
    You sly dog.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information