Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Question on Manning's Potential Legacy as a Bronco

Default Hypothetical Question on Manning's Potential Legacy as a Bronco

Let's face it...Our team looks pretty stacked, and the AFC West looks like it will be fairly easy and very winnable for the next 2 seasons at least.

I'm not prediciting this will happen, but for the sake of discussion, let's say Manning exceeds expectations as far as longevity is concerned and plays at his accustomed HOF level for 4 more years, leading us to 3 Super Bowl victories.

What would that mean for Manning's legacy as a Bronco?...It would be hard to imagine him going into the HOF as a Bronco instead of a Colt, but with 3 SB's versus 1 SB as a Colt, would it be possible to remember Manning more as a Bronco than a Colt 10 years after he retires?

Furthermore, if he somehow did manage to lead us to 3 Super Bowl victories, would it be possible for him to supplant Elway as the greatest Bronco of all time?

Just a thought I had as I was thinking about the upcoming season and how we are the favorites (IMO) to come out of the AFC.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

In the NFL players don't enter the HOF as a member of a particular team. In the MLB HOF the busts made of the players fearure a baseball cap and the cap shows the logo of a particular team of which the player most closely is affiliated with, but the NFL does not work that way.

If Manning were to do as you describe I think he would be thought of as a Bronco first in this region but as a Colt first as you get closer to Indy. Nationally overall he would probably still be more closely linked with Indy, but a lot of it would hinge on how well Andrew Luck is doing.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Next year will be Manning's last in a Broncos uniform. I just don't see us committing to a 40 year old QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Next year will be Manning's last in a Broncos uniform. I just don't see us committing to a 40 year old QB.
    If he's still playing at a high leve I see no reason why he can't finish out his contract if he still wants to play.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 7 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Well, for one a player no longer goes to the HoF under a certain team. He' sjust a HoF player.

Also... There is no way anyone remembers Manning as more of a Bronco than a Colt. No matter what he accomplishes here. Manning put the Colts on the map after a LONG hiatus from being relevant. So no matter what, he will always be a Colt in everyone's eyes.

Which Brings me to the third point..... he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 16 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 07-11-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Well, for one a player no longer goes to the HoF under a certain team. He' sjust a HoF player.

Also... There is no way anyone remembers Manning as more of a Bronco than a Colt. No matter what he accomplishes here. Manning put the Colts on the map after a LONG hiatus from being relevant. So no matter what, he will always be a Colt in everyone's eyes.

Which Brings me to the third point..... he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 13 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.
    16 years Rav, pull yer head out.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

You're high
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    If he's still playing at a high leve I see no reason why he can't finish out his contract if he still wants to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    You're high
    His 2013 and 2014 salaries are guaranteed. But we can cut him after the 2014 season without being on the hook for his $20 million in 2015 and 2016.

If we win Back to Back superbowls as I'm anticipating - he will retire anyway. The way we've been structuring free agent contracts and bringing in young QBs, I think he's got a 2 year window.

12. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

I agree with Chaz. Why wouldn't he? I mean, can you see Manning being that willing to simply hang up football because he's 40? I don't. That guy LIVES football. The way he's playing I see no reason to believe he won't be on the field for another 4 years. Just as I wouldn't be surprised to see Brady do the same thing.

Plus, if Manning is playing at the level he's at, even at 40, he's better than taking a chance on someone that isn't proven. Unless someone on the roster proves to be "the guy" enough for Elway to pull that trigger.... it would hbe hard to believe that we wouldn't go with the QB we know is a winner.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

14. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

His 2013 and 2014 salaries are guaranteed. But we can cut him after the 2014 season without being on the hook for his $20 million in 2015 and 2016.

If we win Back to Back superbowls as I'm anticipating - he will retire anyway. The way we've been structuring free agent contracts and bringing in young QBs, I think he's got a 2 year window.
    If we win back to back SBs then Manning would be tied with Brady with 3 SB rings, I can almost guarantee yoh Manning would come back with the intent of completing a three-peat and cementing himself as the no-doubter GOAT.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

If we win back to back SBs then Manning would be tied with Brady with 3 SB rings, I can almost guarantee yoh Manning would come back with the intent of completing a three-peat and cementing himself as the no-doubter GOAT.
    I'll take bets that he isn't our QB to start the 2014-2015 season.

I'll take bets that he isn't our QB to start the 2014-2015 season.
    So, just to be clear, you think he won't be our starter after this upcoming season (13-14)? In other words, Manning is gone from the Broncos after this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by vandammage13 View Post
    Let's face it...Our team looks pretty stacked, and the AFC West looks like it will be fairly easy and very winnable for the next 2 seasons at least.

I'm not prediciting this will happen, but for the sake of discussion, let's say Manning exceeds expectations as far as longevity is concerned and plays at his accustomed HOF level for 4 more years, leading us to 3 Super Bowl victories.

What would that mean for Manning's legacy as a Bronco?...It would be hard to imagine him going into the HOF as a Bronco instead of a Colt, but with 3 SB's versus 1 SB as a Colt, would it be possible to remember Manning more as a Bronco than a Colt 10 years after he retires?

Furthermore, if he somehow did manage to lead us to 3 Super Bowl victories, would it be possible for him to supplant Elway as the greatest Bronco of all time?

Just a thought I had as I was thinking about the upcoming season and how we are the favorites (IMO) to come out of the AFC.
    I got in a huge argument with my brother in law over this. He is from Indiana and a lifelong Colts fan. We fought about whose team was more stacked with Peyton on them. I said our team now COULD be stronger than any Indy team he played on, if only because our defense is 10 times better than any Indy ever fielded. Then I told him that if Peyton wins multiple SB's here, then his idea of him retiring a Colt and going into their front office could be in jeopardy. He about had a heart attack fighting me on the issue.

I still think he would probably retire a Colt but what a nice bunch of karma back in Irsay's face if he didn't.

20. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    So, just to be clear, you think he won't be our starter after this upcoming season (13-14)? In other words, Manning is gone from the Broncos after this year.
    Whoops, I meant 2015-2016. He will play two more seasons for us - 3 total.

Whoops, I meant 2015-2016. He will play two more seasons for us - 3 total.
    U owe me Buffalo, somebody was about to rob u blind.

And I'm with u, this year and next is it methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

23. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information