Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant's Top 5 NBA players of all time.

If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.
    —Michael Jordan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.
    —Michael Jordan
    I've said for a long time Hakeem is the best I've ever seen. He's also the only guy I've ever seen block Kareem's sky hook.

4. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Hondo!!!!! 8 NBA Titles. 4 championships in his first 4 years in the league. Come on!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Hondo!!!!! 8 NBA Titles. 4 championships in his first 4 years in the league. Come on!!!!!
    ???
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post

Refer to post #3 of this thread.
    An obvious attempt to get you to come in and say

"Y u no like LeBron?" As you swing on his nuts.

Or maybe I'm the only one who caught the subtle use of your name in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Have you ever looked at Chamberlain's numbers? They're ridiculous. He had a string of several years where he averaged about 30 points a game and 25 rebounds a game. Chamberlain averaged as many rebounds as Russel over his career, but averaged at least twice as many points. Statistically speaking, he was a better player than Russel.
    Didn't Chamberlain score 100pts in a single game?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Yes, he scored 100. The next highest game is Kobe Bryant with 81.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

PG-Magic
    SG-Jordan
    SF-Bird
    PF-Duncan
    C-Hakeem

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double?
    The Big O killed people.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    He owns that record, as Canmore stated, and he also has the record for most rebounds in a game with 50.

Kobe is top 5 player of all time you actor in his accomplishments, insane longevity, he's been constant elite player for 13+ years meaning top 5 player in NBA. You factor in him holding almost all Lakers franchise records indeed makes him greatest Laker of all time, yes over Earvin "Magic" Johnson. The Lakers greats such as Magic, Shaq, West, Elgin, and Phil Jackson said so and I agree with him. 5x NBA Championships, 2x FMPS, 7x Finals apprentices, 1 RS MVP, 30,000+ points, 4-time NBA All-Star Game MVP, 2-time scoring champion: 2006, 2007,
    15-time NBA All-Star, 11× All-NBA First Team, 12-time All-Defensive Team selection, 9× NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion: 1997, 17-time Player of the Month. I could go on and on but I'll stop here. With what he has done during his career and in his 30's with injuries is amazing.

My top 10 NBA players of all time:

1) MJ
    2) Kareem
    3) Kobe
    4) Magic
    5) Russell
    6) Wilt
    7) Bird
    8) Shaq
    9) Duncan
    10) Hakeem

Feel free to agree or disagree.
    Last edited by Chillez; 07-27-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Magic Johnson and Kareem are two Lakers who were greater than Kobe Bryant. Wilt Chamberlain is greater than Kobe Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Magic Johnson and Kareem are two Lakers who were greater than Kobe Bryant. Wilt Chamberlain is greater than Kobe Bryant.
    Nah, only Magic has a small case. Kobe may be the greatest INDIVIDUAL Laker ever. Kareem Laker career isn't long enough people forget he had as much as success with Bucks playing with Oscar Robinson. Magic extended his career when Kareem was getting up there in age.

All of Kobe franchise records.

Lakers franchise records that Kobe holds:
    Most seasons played
    17 (1996–1997 to 2012–2013)
    Most playoff seasons played
    15 (1997 – 2004, 2006 – 2012)
    Games
    Most career regular-season games played: 1,161[61]
    Most career playoff games played: 220[62]
    Career: 31,056 (as of February 26, 2013)[63]
    Surpassed Jerry West, the previous holder of the record, on February 1, 2010[64]
    Career, playoffs: 5,640 (as of May 12, 2011)[63]
    Surpassed Jerry West, the previous holder of the record, on April 23, 2010)[65]
    Season: 2,832 (2005–06)[9]
    Game: 81 (on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)[5][6]
    Half: 55 (2nd half, on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)[5]
    Quarter: 30 (twice, most recently on November 30, 2006 in 3rd quarter vs. Utah Jazz)[5]
    Games scoring 60 points or more, career: 5 (as of March 22, 2011)[66]
    Games scoring 50 points or more, career: 24 (as of March 22, 2011)[66]
    Games scoring 50 points or more, season: 10 (2006–07)[1]
    Games scoring 40 points or more, career: 114 (as of January 13, 2012)[64]
    Games scoring 40 points or more, season: 27 (2005–06)[67]
    Consecutive games of 50 points or more: 4 (March 16–23, 2007)[68]
    Behind Wilt Chamberlain (7 consecutive games five times in 1961–62)[68]
    Consecutive games of 40 points or more: 9 (February 6–23, 2003)[69]
    Tied with Michael Jordan (1986–87) and behind Wilt Chamberlain (14 consecutive games twice in 1961–62 and 10 consecutive games in 1962–63)[69][70]
    Field goals made and attempted
    Career attempts: 22,866 (as of November 17, 2012)[63][71]
    Career: 10,286 (as of March 9, 2012)[72]
    Career, playoffs: 2,014 (as of May 12, 2011)[73]
    Career attempts, playoffs: 4,499 (as of May 12, 2011)[74]
    Half: 18 (2nd half, on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)[5][75]
    Half attempts: 28 (tied with Elgin Baylor; on November 17, 2002 at Boston Celtics)[75]
    Half, playoffs: 12 (tied with Elgin Baylor; on April 20, 2003 at Minnesota Timberwolves)[76]
    Quarter: 11 (twice, most recently on January 22, 2006 vs. Toronto Raptors)[75]
    Quarter attempts, playoffs: 13 (tied with 3 players; on May 13, 2003 at San Antonio Spurs)[76]
    Free throws made and attempted
    Career: 7,463 (as of November 17, 2012)[63][72]
    Career attempts: 8,903 (as of November 17, 2012)
    Career, playoffs: 1,320 (as of June 18, 2011)[62][77]
    Career attempts, playoffs: 1,617 (as of June 18, 2011)[62]
    Game: 23 (twice, most recently on January 31, 2006 vs. New York Knicks)[75][78]
    Game, playoffs: 21 (on May 4, 2008 vs. Utah Jazz)[76][79]
    Half: 17 (on January 30, 2001 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers)[75]
    Quarter: 14 (on February 27, 2007 vs. Utah Jazz)[75]
    Quarter, playoffs: 11 (tied with 3 players; on May 8, 1997 vs. Utah Jazz)[76]
    Most free throws in a game without a miss, playoffs: 18 (May 18, 2012)
    Consecutive: 62 (January 11–22, 2006)[5][75]
    Three-point field goals made and attempted
    Career: 1,521 (as of November 17, 2012)[1][75]
    Career, playoffs: 292 (as of March 9, 2012)[80]
    Game: 12 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)[75][81]
    Half: 8 (1st half, on March 28, 2003 vs. Washington Wizards)[75][82]
    Consecutive: 9 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)[81]
    Career attempts: 4,511 (as of November 17, 2012)[63]
    Career attempts, playoffs: 882 (as of June 18, 2011)[37]
    Season attempts: 518 (2005–06)[1][75]
    Game attempts: 18 (on January 7, 2003 vs. Seattle SuperSonics)[75][81]
    Steals
    Career: 1,734 (November 17, 2012)
    Half: 6 (tied with 3 players; on February 13, 2006 vs. Utah Jazz)[75]
    Quarter, playoffs: 3 (five times, tied with 9 players; most recently on June 15, 2008 vs. Boston Celtics)[76]
    Minutes played
    Career: 42,705 (as of November 17, 2012)[71][83]
    Career, playoffs: 8,641 (as of June 18, 2011)[71][84]
    Personal Fouls
    Career, playoffs: 660 (as of June 18, 2011)
    Turnovers
    Career: 3509 (as of December 7, 2012)

Kobe> Magic. pure lakers. Kobe had a longer career, led magic in points, rebounds, steals, in just about every stat but assists. Kobe has had a 3 peat and a repeat. Let's not forget that magic never played without another all star teammate during his 12 year career. Kareem and/or James Worthy were always there at his side. How a team that already boasts Kareem and Jamaal Wilkes, among others, gets the number 1 pick in the draft? Beats me. Kareem also never won as a Laker without magic. He also played with James Worthy, another #1 overall draft pick taken merely two yrs after drafting magic #1 and winning the title. Wow. talk about good luck. Kobe had Shaq and vice versa. But Gasol is not on the level of Magic's top 50 teammate Kareem or of Shaq. Yet Kobe lead those teams to 3 finals, winning 2. He also played fantastic after Shaq was traded but didn't have enough help to contend. Kobe played through a rebuilding period that Magic and Kareem never played through. Shaq dominated once the team was good enough to compete. Yet they didn't become contenders until Kobe became a prominent player. Coincidence? I don't think so. Shaq depended on Kobe in the clutch and he delivered. If Shaq was a 19yr old and Kobe was the established star would he have quietly taken 2nd place in the pecking order? No. Shaq's personality is such that he's always felt that he was the 1st option and could not stomach the idea that Kobe was approaching his superstar level. Finally, Magic played in 9 finals in 12 yrs but went 5 for 9. Kobe is currently 5 for 7 in the finals. Better defender? Better shooter? Better scorer? Better penetrator? More clutch? Longevity? Kobe. Better leader? better teammate? better passer? Magic. Kobe wins this debate overall. Back story on kobe played with the best big in modern era and had 48-16, in a close out game. In 02-03 when Shaq got hurt Kobe ripped off 9 straight games of 40 plus and dragged the lakers into the playoffs. He averaged 35 ppg and took Smush and garbage players in a STACKED western conference to almost 50 wins. Kobe is also a international icon with the highest jersey sales globally. Kobe has been better for longer. Done more with less. It's such a shame Magic career in the end was cut short due to HIV but he has no one to blame but himself for putting himself in terrible situation. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Chillez; 07-27-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Kareem dominated the league as a Laker in a way that hasn't been done since. Magic is the greatest passer the league has ever seen. He made everyone on his team better. Kobe doesn't make players on his team better. You can argue that he did later in his career, and I wouldn't say that it's an unfair statement, though I disagree. Even then, it took a long time for that to happen.

As far as the all-star argument goes, that's typical of any team that has title aspirations. Kobe didn't do squat without Shaq until they got Pau. As far as Kobe vs Shaq, the consenus seems to be that Shaq was better then, but overall Kobe was the better player. As far as Magic's terrible situation goes, he was having sex. He was having sex in a time where AIDS wasn't all that well-known. I'm not so sure if that could be qualified as a terrible situation.

As far as Magic's game versus Kobe's game, I'm going to take Magic all day. If you're telling me that one guy is a great scorer, is often selfish, and has an incredible array of scoring abilities, I can live with it. If you tell me that another guy is a good scorer, a decent defender, the greatest passer the league has ever seen and he makes good players great and great players greater, I'm taking Magic Johnson. So much of Kobe's argument is centered on what he was for himself. That's fine. We're talking about individuals. But when an individual makes other's play rise to levels like Magic, I'm not taking too many guys ahead of him, and Kobe isn't one of them.

I also don't think it's fair to say that Kobe did more with less. Kobe won how many rings with one of the greatest centers ever? Kobe bombed out until Pao and Bynum turned into good players. When the Lakers won a title, they had the most talented team in the NBA. What you're arguing just isn't accurate, at least to me.

The 5 -9 vs 5-7 argument is a decent one.

I also don't understand the global part and jersey sales matter?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information