Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a new computer

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Default Help! I need a new computer

Alright you gurus out there. I need your help. My laptop has some sorta problem with the motherboard (so far as I can tell) and I'm blowing through power cords like a mofo. I've decided it's time to move on and pass this mother down to my daughter.

I'm just not sure exactly what I should get. I love having a laptop, but I'll never get another 17 in monstrosity again. I never take it anywhere because it's too big and heavy. I'd like to have one so I could take it to school and for the portability (so I can watch games on TV and still be online). But it's not a necessity.

I don't do any real gaming right now, and likely won't in the future, although I really want to play Diablo III when it comes out. So that is a consideration, but not a deal breaker. Mostly, I use my computer for web stuff, Office type applications, music, and playing stupid Flash games that suck away my time. I do the occasional photo and video editing, randomish programming and database stuff but mostly that is school related and this laptop can handle any of that should it be a problem. For that matter, this machine can handle Diablo III.....I hadn't thought of that....

My biggest concerns are money and reliability. I really don't like screwing around with my machine and I'm way to impulsive to computer shop much on my own. I just buy stuff. I'd like to get a cheap of a machine as possible, in all reality, probably less than $500.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Are netbooks worthwhile for my uses? Should I just get a cheapy desktop unit? I need something that will last at least two years, preferably more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

If you want to do anything besides internet access/email then don't do the netbook.

I would recommend the HP G60 line. Around $500 (a little over unless you find a sale). Plenty of memory and power that will fit in your budget.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

You can have my calculator I got a few years ago for subscribing to Newsweek magazine . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

4. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

IBM Thinkpad. It has the TrackPoint which is way easier to use than a touchpad.
    Unless you use a mouse of course.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    You can have my calculator I got a few years ago for subscribing to Newsweek magazine . . .

-----
    If it's a TI-89 I'll take it.
    In Elway We Trust

7. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

I would second the Thinkpad, but they are typically more expensive, since they are business units.

I have owned both Dells and Lenovos and Toshibas and HP's. I would rank them in this order.

Lenovo (clear favorite)
    Dell/Toshiba (varies by model)
    HP

My current work computer is a Dell, and I hate it. The laptop I am typing on and what I recently bought my wife, is a Lenovo Y510 (got her a Y530).

Lenovo US (ThinkPad) - Lenovo G550 Laptop eCoupon! 15.6" WXGA LED Backlight TFT, 2GHz Intel Dual Core, 4GB of Memory, 320GB Hard Drive and 6 Cell Battery for Only $479 with FREE Shipping!

List of all of the discounts, including a 15.6" Dell Vostro A860 laptop with Core 2 Duo processor for $399: DELL LABOR DAY SALE

$529 after $293 instant discount: 15.4" Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HD and more. DELL VOSTRO 1520 LAPTOP DEAL

Here is a review for the Lenovo. I am not familiar with the G series, but so far the Lenovo's I have owned (one Thinkpad and two low cost Y models) have been great.

On Lenovo's site, they also have 10-15% off on various models. You can get a Y450 for about $530 with the USPLABORDAY coupon.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

All my comps are Dells but they are overpriced for what you get. If I had known anything about computers before I purchased I would have built my own. NETbooks are cool for their size but the screens can be difficult to see especially if this is going to be your daily comp...

I can't really advise you on what brand to get but I can say I specifically loaded all my machines with XP and couldn't be happier. My parents just bought a laptop with Vista and it's my first real trip around the block with that OS and I am SOOO glad I got XP instead. The unnecessary popups and amount of memory it consumes is disastrous...just my 2 cents...

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Reidman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I have had several laptops. I sell and repair laptops for a living.

I recommend Toshiba's to my customers. As far as which model to get is particular to what you want to do. You won't get much of a gaming computer for $500 but you will be able to do the rest of what you want to do.

I would suggest you think about getting the extended warranty with it if you plan on carrying it around with you. If you are going to leave it in one place get a desktop, you'll get a better computer for the same price.

Check this out for $500 units.
    Merry.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

I think Lenovo does some great stuff with portability and versatility. They have some great deals going on now as well. Lenovo is what cool people use.

17. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Toshibas are good. I like Dells since I used to do phone support for them, but to me Lenovo is Ace. I have a Thinkpad t60p. Their support has always been good.

Now that being said. Be sure to either get an insurance plan on the laptop or buy the extended "Accidental Damage" warranty. I have seen way too many people get burned for not having this or getting fooled that their warranty covers accidental damage (i.e. me and my wife when we bought an HP through Comp USA).
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Toshibas are good. I like Dells since I used to do phone support for them,
    You lived in India?

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

If I ever have the cash...doubtfull...I plan on trying out an alienware system.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

So after thinking about this for a while, I bought yet another power cord for my current laptop and I'm going to tether it to my desk. Hopefully with less use, the power cord will last longer.

So if I wanted to get a laptop for heavy duty web surfing and occasionally using Office programs and the like, am I okay to get one of the dirt cheap machines? Like Lenovo's S series, which they call netbooks/mini-laptops. I'll be in school for another 3 years, so I'd want it to last that long (hello warranty), but I expect to replace it right after I graduate.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I'm so retarded when it comes to electronics purchases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information