Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Help! I need a new computer

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Now shake, you have said that the software you need requires a Mac, and that you have a PC for gaming. I will give that a pass.

Fairy.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Now shake, you have said that the software you need requires a Mac, and that you have a PC for gaming. I will give that a pass.

Fairy.
    Thanks, you silly goose!

I must admit, nothing compares to a PC for gaming.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

If I could have afforded an Apple when I was looking at comps I would have gone that route in a heartbeat! Apple is far > than PC....alas PC's are affordable..

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Reidman View Post
    If I could have afforded an Apple when I was looking at comps I would have gone that route in a heartbeat! Apple is far > than PC....alas PC's are affordable..
    I want to hear your argument as to why Apple > than a PC.

Apple = PC with OS X.

I can see you argue that OS X is better than Windows. The one thing Windows has over OS X is a greater range of hardware support. I admittedly like the User Interface of OS X. The thing is that Steve Jobs doesn't want to take over the PC marketshare. Apple makes too much money on marking up hardware to sell their OS attached to it.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I want to hear your argument as to why Apple > than a PC.

Apple = PC with OS X.

I can see you argue that OS X is better than Windows. The one thing Windows has over OS X is a greater range of hardware support. I admittedly like the User Interface of OS X. The thing is that Steve Jobs doesn't want to take over the PC marketshare. Apple makes too much money on marking up hardware to sell their OS attached to it.
    I can only go by my own personal experience, but the hardware failure rate on my macs is way less than my PC's. Like I said, I have an old Powerbook 12" from 2002 that all I've had to replace on it is a battery. The only reason I bought a new one is I wanted a newer Intel based mac with faster processors to handle my CS4 and Video Editing applications ( I usually have 3 open at a time). So, I bought a Mac in 2002 that still works and one in 2007 that handles all my needs perfectly.

In that same time frame (2002-Present) I've had two PC's completely break down on me and one where the hard drive stopped working after 2 years. Granted, I usually tried to keep my PC's on the low end initially and upgrade the hardware myself so that may lead to the quality issues, but that failure rate sucks. Thats 2 PC's I've had to part out and 1 that I had to get fixed. I bet I've spent close to $4500 in the past 7 years on 3 PC's (two of which are completely useless) and about $2700 on my two laptops ($1000 for the PowerBook and $1700 for the MacBook Pro both of which I still use).

Don't get me wrong, I think its a personal choice and PC's are great for a lot of things. Personally, I'd rather pay the mark up and get something a little more durable over the long run. PC's are fun in the fact that you can upgrade the hell out of them, and they are relatively inexpensive to fix. Macs on the other hand are pretty reliable overall, but lack a lot of 3rd party functionality or upgradeability.

I will never really get into the stereotype of Mac Guy vs PC Guy because it all comes down to what you need it for. Like you said, a Mac is just a PC with the Mac OS. I'm just starting to really crack the OS for mac with Terminal, and I think its great. I do agree that many people buy macs just because and don't really use them.

It all comes down to who's wallet you want to pad- Gates or Jobs!

7. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I know, I know. I used to be like that, but damned if the things hardly ever give me headaches. I have this thing called a Time Capsule that not only is a wireless router for my entire home network and Xbox Live, it has 1 Terabyte of storage and backs up everything every 3 hours just by being on. I...I...I really like it!
    I worked for Apple for about two months before re-signing for health reasons (the kidney thing, needed to finish up treatment and wanted to be home) and wasn't impressed with them at all. (Especially on how they do certain things from a business perspective.) I do enjoy their products, I like the user interface and think they do some great things, but I'm probably going to be a PC guy all the way due to affordability and some of the things Thnikka touched on.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new computer sometime soon, I'm going to wait until Windows 7 probably launches (even though the free upgrades are available) or something cool is done making netbook battery life better than the 3-4 hour averages I'm seeing.

I'd get a MBP in a second if they weren't 1,100 even with a student discount. I have the money to get one, but when I can get a laptop that is just as good and have about 500 dollars to spend after that -- why not?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

So it only took me five months, but I finally made my next computer purchase:

Specs:
    Code:
    General
    Brand 			Acer
    Series 			Aspire
    Model 			AS1410-2497
    Part# 			LX.SA902.006
    Color 			Sapphire Blue

Operating System
    OS Provided 		Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor
    CPU Type 		Intel Celeron M
    CPU Speed 		743(1.30GHz)
    CPU FSB 		800MHz
    CPU L2 Cache 		1MB

Display
    Screen Size 		11.6"
    Widescreen Display 	Yes
    Max Resolution 		1366 x 768
    Display Feature 	LED backlight & Acer CineCrystal Technology

Graphics
    Graphics Processor 	Intel GMA 4500M
    Video Memory 		Shared system memory

Memory
    Memory Slots 		2 x 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Memory Speed 		DDR2 667
    Memory 			2GB
    Max Memory Supported 	4GB
    Memory Spec 		1GB x 2

Hard Drive
    HDD 			250GB
    Hard Drive RPM 		5400 RPM
    Hard Drive Interface 	SATA

Dimension & Weight
    Dimension 		11.20" x 8.00" x 0.90" - 1.20"
    Weight 			3.10 lbs.

Netbook Camera
    Camera Type 		Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Communications
    LAN 			10/100/1000Mbps
    WLAN 			802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Expansion / Connectivity
    USB 			3
    Video Ports 		1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
    Audio Ports 		1 x Headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack
    			1 x Microphone-in Jack

Audio
    Audio 			High-Definition Audio Support
    			Dolby Sound Room audio enhancement, featuring Dolby Headphone, 
    			Dolby Natural Bass and Dolby Sound Space Expander
    Speaker 		Built-in stereo speakers

Input Device
    Touchpad 		Multi-gesture touchpad supporting circular-motion scrolling, 
    			pinch-action zoom, page flip
    Keyboard 		84-key full-size Acer FineTip keyboard, inverted T cursor layout, 
    			embedded numeric keypad, hotkey controls, international language support

Card Reader
    Card Reader 		Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
    			Secure Digital (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick, (MS), 
    			Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card (xD)

Battery
    Battery 		6-cell Li-ion Battery (4400 mAh)
    Battery Life 		Up to 6 hours

Manufacturer Warranty
    Labor 			1 year limited
    Parts 			1 year limited
    What sold me on this machine was weight (just over 3 lbs), functionality, price ($420) and the overwhelmingly good reviews. For the money, I think it'll work fantastically. Can't wait to get it! Should be here by Friday.

Edit: I should mention this is classified as an ultralightweight laptop, not a netbook.
    Last edited by frauschieze; 01-24-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Nice screen size. My brother's lappy has an 11.6 inch screen, which is much more comfortable on the eye than the 10.1 some netbooks offer.
    In fact, I think his purchase is exactly the same model as your. He's had it a few months and is really happy with it.

I like the colour too. Now all you need to do is add some orange to make it a true Broncos product!

I am kinda leaning towards buying one of each of this http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668385.php for wife and I.

Affordable price and decent machine.

16. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Nice screen size. My brother's lappy has an 11.6 inch screen, which is much more comfortable on the eye than the 10.1 some netbooks offer.
    In fact, I think his purchase is exactly the same model as your. He's had it a few months and is really happy with it.

I like the colour too. Now all you need to do is add some orange to make it a true Broncos product!
    Awesome! I'm pretty sure that this size will work out great. Glad to hear someone else likes it too.

And I see great minds think alike, as I definitely had Broncos blue in mind when I chose the color!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

18. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

My old laptop just died last Monday. I decided I wanted to get something that would last me for the six or more years like the last one did. I would still be using the old one had it not gotten wet and died. I always get the fastest, biggest, mostest I can manage to get the money together to get because I know I'll be stuck with it until it dies of old age or, from a natural disaster like the last one. So far, so good. I am in the process of nuking the hard drive and installing all the stuff I actually use right now as I'm typing this. The only bad thing about it is the size and weight. Since I use it 95% of the time as a desktop I can deal with it. It weighs in at at almost 10lbs. and has a 18.4" screen.

Here is what I ended up with.
    Merry.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information