Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need a new computer

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

I want to make sure you guys realize that my laptop I've got now is still more than enough computing power for everything that I need. It was $1800 new 2 years ago. I just have issues with charging which is a complaint with this model (Dell Inspiron E1705). Because of this (and the fact that it's ginormous and not at all fun to lug around), it'll be in my best interest to leave this laptop stationary.

But I like using my laptop on my couch and in the kitchen, and it'd sure be nice if I could take the next one to the school. So, I'll still be using this one, for gaming, photoshop, stuff that takes a lot of computing power. But the new one would probably be used 2 out of every 3 times, or more.

I'm going to have to look at some of the netbooks; see if I could handle the small keyboards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    I want to make sure you guys realize that my laptop I've got now is still more than enough computing power for everything that I need. It was $1800 new 2 years ago. I just have issues with charging which is a complaint with this model (Dell Inspiron E1705). Because of this (and the fact that it's ginormous and not at all fun to lug around), it'll be in my best interest to leave this laptop stationary.

But I like using my laptop on my couch and in the kitchen, and it'd sure be nice if I could take the next one to the school. So, I'll still be using this one, for gaming, photoshop, stuff that takes a lot of computing power. But the new one would probably be used 2 out of every 3 times, or more.

I'm going to have to look at some of the netbooks; see if I could handle the small keyboards.
    That's the key, can you live with the small keyboard/screen. Not sure if I would like it all the time, I use it a couple hours a day. For the couch, around the house, I think 15.4" is great, but typically the low cost !5" laptops are on the heavy side. If you use a wheeled bag for school or backpack, it won't be bad.

Laptops, especially on a budget, or often weight vs. feature tradeoffs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but get a used macbook pro. I have a 12" powerbook from 2001 that still works beautifully, and my new 15" has an Intel and runs PC programs with no problem at all with conversion software (which is free.) Aside from replacing a battery a couple of times, I've never had problems with the damn things. I have a PC Desktop, but my line of work requires me to have a Mac Laptop because the design software runs smoother on it. I never thought I'd like Macs, but after working with them the last decade or so changed my mind. I only really use my PC for gaming now. Just my two cents.

4. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.
    I know, I know. I used to be like that, but damned if the things hardly ever give me headaches. I have this thing called a Time Capsule that not only is a wireless router for my entire home network and Xbox Live, it has 1 Terabyte of storage and backs up everything every 3 hours just by being on. I...I...I really like it!

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You lived in India?
    Dells business support didn't go to India while I was working for them.

I used to work for a company called ClientLogic, that looks like its now called Sitel. I started off doing phone support for Micron computers back in 2000, and when Micron went bankrupt, they switched me over to Dells.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

If you are going to continue to do some development in VB in some of your classes, a Mac is a big no-no.

Also, their advertising is fraudulent. "I just want a computer that doesn't give me any problems". That is bullshit. The first time I was on a mac I was able to bring OS X to its knees without trying. Boot Camp is cool, and the Operating system is decent. But here is the reality:

Macs don't get viruses because their market share is small
    Macs are great for graphical design, as a development computer, its hit and miss and horrible for gaming
    Macs are still personal computers. The whole PC vs Mac thing is marketing. A Mac is a pc with a different operating system.
    That being said, Macs still lock up, have hardware problems, and can break. Justin Long's smug little face telling you that it doesn't is just bullshit. Same thing with drivers and peripherals. That isn't a problem with pcs.

If you want an over priced piece of hardware just so you can have OS X, I'm not going to stop you. You can get something that looks and feels like OS X with Kubuntu. Which is free.

/rant

The Mac operating system is a beautiful thing. I'll never use it until I can get it stand alone so I can decide the hardware I want to run it on.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.
    Gotta be a graphic guy. Only graphics guys and teenage girls are Macheads..

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Gotta be a graphic guy. Only graphics guys and teenage girls are Macheads..
    And hipsters. You don't want to be a hipster.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Dells India support is just awful, I don't even know why they bother.

I don't call support anymore unless its a warrently thing as I re3ally don't need them anymore but when I got my first computer there was a handful of times I called.

In the times I called only 2 times did tech support actually help me. One time...the person lived in Texas...and the lady was very helpful. Other time guy lived in Canada...and was very helpful.

All other times have been India and while trying to figure how the hell I was to explain this to them so they could even understand what I was saying to them I figured it out on my own.

15. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    If you are going to continue to do some development in VB in some of your classes, a Mac is a big no-no.

Also, their advertising is fraudulent. "I just want a computer that doesn't give me any problems". That is bullshit. The first time I was on a mac I was able to bring OS X to its knees without trying. Boot Camp is cool, and the Operating system is decent. But here is the reality:

Macs don't get viruses because their market share is small
    Macs are great for graphical design, as a development computer, its hit and miss and horrible for gaming
    Macs are still personal computers. The whole PC vs Mac thing is marketing. A Mac is a pc with a different operating system.
    That being said, Macs still lock up, have hardware problems, and can break. Justin Long's smug little face telling you that it doesn't is just bullshit. Same thing with drivers and peripherals. That isn't a problem with pcs.

If you want an over priced piece of hardware just so you can have OS X, I'm not going to stop you. You can get something that looks and feels like OS X with Kubuntu. Which is free.

/rant

The Mac operating system is a beautiful thing. I'll never use it until I can get it stand alone so I can decide the hardware I want to run it on.
    That and you can't buy any software for Macs. I have used PC's exclusively since engineering school as all the engineering software is designed for PC's. I don't even really like Ipods anymore.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Fine!! I'll just take my overpriced piece of junk to the hipster table!

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Fine!! I'll just take my overpriced piece of junk to the hipster table!
    You could use it for an anchor but it's probably to light.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    You could use it for an anchor but it's probably to light.
    I can't hear you. I'm playing mozart through Itunes and editing a silent film in Final Cut Pro. And yes, I'm wearing a black turtleneck!

20. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I can't hear you. I'm playing mozart through Itunes and editing a silent film in Final Cut Pro. And yes, I'm wearing a black turtleneck!
    So you have partaken in the forbidden fruit.

Alas, but thou art to far gone.

The only thing that can save you is to dump the apple and get a real PC.
    Merry.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information