Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Best Historically Accurate movies

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I didn't get to experience any of that stuff. Thankfully. I did always end up doing more work than I wanted to when I'd go there.
    For the full chigger and fire ant experience you can't beat a week of living in the field on an FTX at Fort Benning. As hard as USAF guys can work you mostly sleep in beds inside somewhere at the end of the day.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    For the full chigger and fire ant experience you can't beat a week of living in the field on an FTX at Fort Benning. As hard as USAF guys can work you mostly sleep in beds inside somewhere at the end of the day.
    Are chiggers the little spiraly spikey shits that are on some grass, plants, and trees?

And yeah, as air crew we weren't even allowed to stay at the hotel on Ft Benning because it was deemed inadequate quarters for crew rest.

We stayed at a nice hotel in Columbus.

3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

How was Lincoln? I assumed it would be filled with a lot of white hatred of blacks. It does seem that many historical recreations really like to foment the racial anger. The Ken Burns History of Baseball series was largely a history of how persecuted black players have been since the sport was invented.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I can't believe no one's mentioned Star Wars yet. Without that movie we wouldn't even know what happened a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    The beginning of that movie was filmed at Lawson Army Air Field at Ft Benning, GA. Been there a couple times. Seen the hangars and all in person. Pretty awesome.
    I didn't know that.

I've been too Benning a couple of times to do demos (help and cook up some free food samples for companies) at the commissary there so i've only seen a little of it. I'd love to take of tour of that base, it looks huge and has a lot of history from what i'ver heard. I'm a war buff, though i don't know a lot of the facts, just fascinated with the history of it. There's a Revolutionary War Museum here that i could spend hours in. It also has a lot of other things from past wars like WWI, WWII, Korean, Etc... in it as well.

Sorry to get of course....
    the scene where they were loading on to the buses was filmed next to the towers at jump school. My roommate at PLDC was in Basic when they were filming it and said they used his company to teach the actors how to use the crew serve weapons.

Are chiggers the little spiraly spikey shits that are on some grass, plants, and trees?

And yeah, as air crew we weren't even allowed to stay at the hotel on Ft Benning because it was deemed inadequate quarters for crew rest.

We stayed at a nice hotel in Columbus.
    I stayed at that hotel during the Army Combatives Tournament in 07. Not too bad at all.

9. The Following User High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    How was Lincoln? I assumed it would be filled with a lot of white hatred of blacks. It does seem that many historical recreations really like to foment the racial anger. The Ken Burns History of Baseball series was largely a history of how persecuted black players have been since the sport was invented.
    I said this in another thread, but what irritated me about Lincoln was that it was really about his life. It started right before his second term. I thought "The 13th amendment" would have been a more suitable title. There's a lot of what you described in the movie. But also, there are a lot of people for slavery but think freeing the slaves would break the south and win the war.

There's a lot more to the civil war than slavery, but that seems to be the sole mention even in textbooks nowadays. I guess that's how it will be remembered in history. The good people of the north versus the racists of the south.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Army Bronco View Post
    I stayed at that hotel during the Army Combatives Tournament in 07. Not too bad at all.
    Apparently our Airlift Squadron commander at the time thought differently.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

From my standpoint it was great - but remember, two years previous to that I had been in a decrepit open bay Gomer Pyle type 40 man basic trainee barracks at Harmony Church. I had a little fridge, a maid made my bed and cleaned my room, and I thought I was living large. Its all about context.

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

From my standpoint it was great - but remember, two years previous to that I had been in a decrepit open bay Gomer Pyle type 40 man basic trainee barracks at Harmony Church. I had a little fridge, a maid made my bed and cleaned my room, and I thought I was living large. Its all about context.
    Dreadnaught, when did you go through IOBC??

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

We had moved on from black powder rifles into modern smokeless ammunition. Good ol' Krag .30/40. It was a time of great changes

17. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Excellent movie and not filled with anything that you thought. It's about the 13th amendment, and all that surround the passing of that amendment.

Some were looking for more cherry trees to be chopped down, or maybe a History Channel biography, but I was much more entertained with this.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

19. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Excellent movie and not filled with anything that you thought. It's about the 13th amendment, and all that surround the passing of that amendment.

Some were looking for more cherry trees to be chopped down, or maybe a History Channel biography, but I was much more entertained with this.
    I loved the movie. One of the only movies I've ever seen that gets the legislative and political process even remotely right.

Black Hawk Down is one of my all time fave movies. We named a a small town in Baghdad little Moge in honor of its resemblance to the movie and all the people shooting at us...lol

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Army Bronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information