Thread: Need some advice

Adopted Bronco:

Default Need some advice

Need some advice. My oldest son plays DE for the Freshman football team. Watching his games, I notice he isn’t playing with the fire he usually does, so I ask him what the problem is. He tells me his coaches cant make up their mind. Example: last night, his DL coach tells him to line up 5 technique and rush the passer…his DC tells him to line up 4 technique, read the block and play the run, so, he reads pass, lines up at the 5 and rushes outside. The team audibles and runs off tackle and scores. The DC then benches him for not listening to him. He explains that he was told something else by the line coach, but it doesn’t matter. As a result, he is playing half-heartedly and just bull-rushing every play and keeping it simple.

I thought about a few things. Do I contact the coaches and ask their advice on what I can talk to him about at home as a result of the confusion? Do I talk to the varsity coach (a very approachable guy that employs these coaches)? Do I let is go and see what happens? I’m not worried about his playing time, but when I see him lose the fire and passion for the game that he’s always had, it worries me and I want to help find a solution to it. As a coach, I’d prefer a parent come talk to me, but I know not all coaches are the same and I don’t want to make things harder for him. I guess this is more of a parental question than anything. What do you guys think?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I think you start with the coaches, and if you get nowhere with them, talk to the varsity coach. Explain to them that you aren't looking for special treatment, just advice on how to help your son become a better athlete.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andra Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I think you start with the coaches, and if you get nowhere with them, talk to the varsity coach. Explain to them that you aren't looking for special treatment, just advice on how to help your son become a better athlete.
    I agree with Think the coaches need to know they are sending mixed signals for everyone on the teams sake.
    I knew a man a long long time but I never knew him at all. Small in stature, big at heart but he always stood tall. In my mind he could do no wrong misunderstood all along. He worked hard all his live to get what he had. He was a little rough around the edges simple in mind but always had a kind eye for me. I will miss you Dad.

Gem's Yardog.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived yardog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

The route I was leaning was going to the Varsity Coach/AD and asking his advice. Like i said, he's a great guy and I think he'd be very receptive to it all. But...wanted to see what everyone else thought before I came to a conclusion.

I would simply ask the coaches what they are telling him so that you can help him out. Find out if they are sending mixed signals. Say "if I understand correctly, you would like him to play the 5 and rush the pass, is that how I should be helping him??" Then you can hear it straight from the coaches mouth.

Sometimes kids hear things differently than what is told them.... as I'm sure you well know. SOmetimes kids hear what they want to hear. Sometimes there is just flat out miscommunication on all parts.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I would simply ask the coaches what they are telling him so that you can help him out. Find out if they are sending mixed signals. Say "if I understand correctly, you would like him to play the 5 and rush the pass, is that how I should be helping him??" Then you can hear it straight from the coaches mouth.

Sometimes kids hear things differently than what is told them.... as I'm sure you well know. SOmetimes kids hear what they want to hear. Sometimes there is just flat out miscommunication on all parts.
    What makes sense is that the DL coach would teach the techniques in practices that the DC will use. Then on game day, the DC will decide what scheme to use and make the decisions at that point. The DL would then emphasize those things to the DE's. But in this situation, it seems like both coaches have authority to decide what happens at the same time and when and who gets replaced. The infrastructure and message they are sending confuses me...let alone a bunch of freshmen.

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Start with the DC/DL coach together and make them aware that him and the DL coach are not on the same page and they're confusing your son and have your son present with you, if they blow you off then the HC would be the man to talk to. Rank and file! And sounds like both want to run the 'show'.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosBlitz View Post
    Start with the DC/DL coach together and make them aware that him and the DL coach are not on the same page and they're confusing your son and have your son present with you, if they blow you off then the HC would be the man to talk to. Rank and file! And sounds like both want to run the 'show'.
    I agree with this post and Ravage's. Work the "chain of command". I love it when parents ask me what they can do at home to work with their kid. If they don't ask, I go ahead and TELL THEM...lol.

Who knows, the DC and DL coach might not even know they are on two different pages and might appreciate it when a parent who is in the know approaches them and brings it to light. Might make the overall team, the coaching, and your son better.

14. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

just another point of view... but what's wrong with having your son talk to his coaches and work the situation out on his own?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    just another point of view... but what's wrong with having your son talk to his coaches and work the situation out on his own?
    Catch 22 man! Some coaches would invite the input and some coaches dispise being called out especially by a high school player more less a freshman and sometimes that could be a difference between starting and being second fiddle. It's a good question whether he's confronted the coach.

I have a policy that if a player has an issue, he goes to his position coach first. If he comes straight to me I ask him if he's talked to his coach, and if he says no I send him straight to his coach first. Usually it can be worked out there. If that doesn't work then I'll meet with the player and his position coach. If we still have problems then we'll have a meeting with the player, his coach, myself and the parent. It's never gotten to that point. I always emphasize communication and it solves a lot of problems. In the case you outlined here coach, if I were the DC and I was told by a player his position coach told him to do something different than I told him, I'd immediately go straight to his position coach during the game and ask him what happened. If the coach was wrong then i'd correct the coach. I've been in that situation before, and it's usually just a matter of the position coach misunderstanding what I wanted, and it's often fixed then and there.

18. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Appreciate all the input. Let me add a few details based on this.

The FIRST thing I did was have my son talk to his coaches. Now...whether he did at all and got mediocre feedback as he described...or just blew it off, I dont know.

He has also explained to the DC or the DL coach when he was given other instruction and it hasn't mattered. When I coached Select soccer and HS baseball, I had more of a military philosophy. I had my assistants work their tails off and the kids understood that if something occurred, that I was like their "daddy" out there. They needed to use their chain of command, but in the end, I was the one that was going to correct the situatio if all else failed.

It appears the HS football program works the same way, but nevertheless...nothing is happening by going the COC route. Going to the HC/AD seems to be the remaining option.

20. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information