Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bowlen suffering from memory loss?

Default Bowlen suffering from memory loss?

DENVER, Colo. - It's a hot topic in sports columns and talk shows. And it's an issue Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has raised himself: problems with short term memory loss.

Back in May, Denver Post Columnist Woody Paige said Bowlen told him he was in good health but "had experienced short term memory loss in recent months." In his recent ESPN blog, Rick Reilly raises the possibility that memory loss was a factor in the Jay Cutler-Josh McDaniels fiasco earlier his year.

Bowlen still insists quarterback Jay Cutler never called him and that's why he was traded. But Reilly claims several sources tell him Cutler did call Bowlen, not once, but twice.

We found an even earlier situation where Bowlen himself references memory issues.

According to NFL.com, in early March, Cutler, upset about Mike Shanahan being fired, said he had a conversation with Bowlen where the owner promised no changes to the offense.

NFL.com quotes Bowlen as saying, "I really have had no discussions with Jay. Now to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age and I'm not sure of that discussion."

Brandon Marshall says he had a meeting in June with Bowlen. Marshall's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg told that Bowlen told Marshall he was his favorite player, next to John Elway, and that he wanted him to be happy. However, Bowlen also told the Pro Bowl wide receiver that if he wanted to be traded, he would be, according to Steinberg.

The Broncos seem to have forgotten that too.

Is this a business or negotiating strategy? Or are Bowlen's admitted memory loss issues something more serious.

Dr. Alan Anderson, a Neurology Professor at the University of Colorado says a lot of things can cause memory loss. He emphasizes he's not trying to diagnose anyone and is not commenting specifically about Bowlen. But he says, in general, many things can cause memory loss issues, like medication or other medical issues or depression or drugs and alcohol.

Anderson, however, points out that it's one thing to forget details of a conversation, and another to forget that you ever had it. He says tests can pinpoint the cause of memory issues and can determine whether the problem is something serious, like Alzheimer's.

Anderson says anyone who has concerns about memory loss issues should check with their doctor.

The Broncos said they had no comment on this issue.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2. The Following User High Fived Broncos Mtnman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Give me a break. Bowlen told Marshall that he's his favorite player next to John Elway? That's patently ridiculous. . .I'm sure Bowlen doesn't "remember" saying that either. Sheesh!

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

sounds like water under the bridge to me..

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

lol..........Keep on searching for reasons why your boy Cutler....is no longer a bronco.....
    but the fact is ........he no longer wanted to play here.....
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

If anyone wants, go check out the interview with Joe Ellis and the sports guys on FM104.3TheFan. When Ellis was ask about Cutler, he said something to the affect that there is so much he could say, but will not, due to some privacy issue. Possibly, when Bowlen was ask certain things, maybe because of this privacy issue, he felt it best to say he could not remember?????

No one knows.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by broncophan View Post
    lol..........Keep on searching for reasons why your boy Cutler....is no longer a bronco.....
    but the fact is ........he no longer wanted to play here.....
    This might have slipped your notice, but the article is about Bowlen, not Cutler.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Broncos Mtnman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Give me a break. Bowlen told Marshall that he's his favorite player next to John Elway? That's patently ridiculous. . .I'm sure Bowlen doesn't "remember" saying that either. Sheesh!
    Excellent post. It's quite obvious that people are just starting to make shit up in order to posture to two cry-babies.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

Makes you wonder why Bowlen said they had the phone records (and offered to show them) to prove his side of the story. Just sayin'...
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Man, in this day and age i guess there must not be too much to write about. Rick Reilly must be bored to tears to try and come up with this sillyness.

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsnv View Post
    Makes you wonder why Bowlen said they had the phone records (and offered to show them) to prove his side of the story. Just sayin'...
    And yet, he never produced them.

Just sayin'...

If Bowlen is suffering from any sort of memory loss, that certainly isn't good for the organization. Get someone to step in and help him so McDaniels can continue building Denver into an actual perenniel SuperBowl contender like we had in the 90's.

Pat has been a good owner, I'm sure he knew he would catch hell, not an easy thing to bring out, but it does explain alot.

I would feel a helluva lot better if they brought John into the mix, I think Pat has been listening to a moron (Joe Ellis) long enough. John knows the town, the fan, and what we expect out of our football team. It would do alot to mend the rift in the fanbase.

Do you really think John would have let the Goodmans walk ? Pretty sure he would have stood his ground.

The rift with Cutler ? Brandon ? Who would know better than John what a player goes through, I never saw an article on what Cutler was giving away for Halloween.

It boils down to respect and credibility, none better than John on both counts.
    Last edited by Superchop 7; 09-03-2009 at 08:31 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Superchop 7 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsnv View Post
    Don't Bowlen's phone records only show who he called and not who called him?
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Don't Bowlen's phone records only show who he called and not who called him?
    No. Phone records can show both. I work in the telecommunications industry and you can get records for both. Even if a call wasn't answered but only rang.
    Thanks Shake!

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

It seems likely to me that Someone like Pat Bowlen has one of those..um..what're they called?
    Secretary/personal assistant.

Is it really reasonable to think that calls placed to Mr.Bowlen DON"T go through some sort of channels? If Pat was getting calls from his disgruntled star QB I'm sure someone else would have noticed.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived SoCalImport For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information