Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: peyton-manning-wants-denver-broncos-play-faster

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Default peyton-manning-wants-denver-broncos-play-faster

CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

makes sense... but killing time on the clock doesnt hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

the receivers like it?
    what about the run game?
    what about the defense?
    Ask a defender how they feel about forcing a punt, going to the sidelines, and in less than 3 minutes of real time,(thanks to a commercial break) they are back on the field because the O only spent 45 seconds to throw 3 incomplete passes.
    anyone remember dan fouts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    the receivers like it?
    what about the run game?
    what about the defense?
    Ask a defender how they feel about forcing a punt, going to the sidelines, and in less than 3 minutes of real time,(thanks to a commercial break) they are back on the field because the O only spent 45 seconds to throw 3 incomplete passes.
    anyone remember dan fouts ?
    psssst... Manning doesnt run the team.

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

5. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Manning runs the offense and you probably have posted a dozen times saying as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    Manning runs the offense and you probably have posted a dozen times saying as much.
    correct... but he doesnt run the front office. They will do what they want to do, if you watched the games last season you can see the offensive play calling was not all on Manning.

I think several members of the coaching staff, including Gase, have said the same thing.
    Last edited by spikerman; 04-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Manning might not run the team, but whether or not the front office will admit it, he has a say in how things go. That's one of the luxuries of being a future hall of fame QB.

Regardless, the front office should do what works. Last year, the offensive production stepped up when Manning was calling the shots in no-huddle tempo.

This IS a head-scratcher from anyone who knows offense like Manning does. Folks so inclined may dismiss concerns solely because Zams, but his points are valid: Long drives are fundamental to good offense. They: 1) Tire opposing defenses, 2) rest ours and 3) keep the ball away from opponents in an age when offenses are more productive than ever.

This topic belongs in Football 101 right next to "run to establish the pass" (teams were once allowed to DEFEND against passing, making it difficult until/unless they were FORCED to bring guys up to runstop.)

I wonder if there's some additional context the article omitted. I'm not old enough to remember watching Air Coryells teams, but grew up watching the same thing when the Run 'n Shoot dueled the No Huddle, when Elway and the Three Amigos didn't knock off one of them: I'm long accustomed to worrying about scoring too fast. The Giants were praised for their long pounding drive to open SB XLII; they only got a FG, but held the ball for 9:59 while Tom Brady could only watch. Anyone who thinks that wasn't critical to their 17-14 victory is just ignoring all the season scoring records NE shattered that year.

The old saying is supposed to go all the way back to Sammy Baugh: "We never lose; we just run out of time." A good running game is how teams do that to opponents; "matriculating the ball down the field," not throwing incomplete passes, nor even 70 yard bombs. How many times have we seen a team take the lead with two or three minutes left against a great team and thought, They left them too much time...? That happens to teams whose average drive is 4:00 a lot more often than those whose average drive is 7:00. What if Cincy hadn't left 3:00 on the clock when they kicked a FG to take a 16-13 lead in SB XXIII?

There's got to be something ESPN's not telling us. I know Goodell's trying to turn the NFL into a flag arena league, but it hasn't gotten THAT bad—has it...?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

12. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    This IS a head-scratcher from anyone who knows offense like Manning does. Folks so inclined may dismiss concerns solely because Zams, but his points are valid: Long drives are fundamental to good offense. They: 1) Tire opposing defenses, 2) rest ours and 3) keep the ball away from opponents in an age when offenses are more productive than ever.

This topic belongs in Football 101 right next to "run to establish the pass" (teams were once allowed to DEFEND against passing, making it difficult until/unless they were FORCED to bring guys up to runstop.)

I wonder if there's some additional context the article omitted. I'm not old enough to remember watching Air Coryells teams, but grew up watching the same thing when the Run 'n Shoot dueled the No Huddle, when Elway and the Three Amigos didn't knock off one of them: I'm long accustomed to worrying about scoring too fast. The Giants were praised for their long pounding drive to open SB XLII; they only got a FG, but held the ball for 9:59 while Tom Brady could only watch. Anyone who thinks that wasn't critical to their 17-14 victory is just ignoring all the season scoring records NE shattered that year.

The old saying is supposed to go all the way back to Sammy Baugh: "We never lose; we just run out of time." A good running game is how teams do that to opponents; "matriculating the ball down the field," not throwing incomplete passes, nor even 70 yard bombs. How many times have we seen a team take the lead with two or three minutes left against a great team and thought, They left them too much time...? That happens to teams whose average drive is 4:00 a lot more often than those whose average drive is 7:00. What if Cincy hadn't left 3:00 on the clock when they kicked a FG to take a 16-13 lead in SB XXIII?

There's got to be something ESPN's not telling us. I know Goodell's trying to turn the NFL into a flag arena league, but it hasn't gotten THAT bad—has it...?
    The game has changed. You and Zam need to deal with it.

There's a reason New England unleashed the hurry up last year and that Chip Kelly was hired by the Eagles. The game is changing. The rules are changing. Running the football to control the game is something that is the past.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Turnovers are still THREE TIMES more likely passing than running (and that's if we don't bother moving fumbled receptions from the "rushing" to "passing" column.) The game's changed so much every year I check the NFL rushing average is still 4.2 yards per carry as it's been for decades, enough to consistently get conversions in three plays. The main change is putting pass defense in strait jackets so thick "establishing" the pass is no longer needed: Teams can pass at will whether others try defending or not. That's bad for competition, and thus interest, and thus ratings, and thus profits; the NFL will eventually learn that the hard way.

Meanwhile, long offensive drives still tire opposing defenses and rest ours, and the best way to prevent opponents unleashing the Hurry Up is still to keep them on the sidelines.
    Last edited by Joel; 04-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

15. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

zam-and-joel-in-same-thread-exit-this-way
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Turnovers are still THREE TIMES more likely passing than running (and that's if we don't bother moving fumbled receptions from the "rushing" to "passing" column.) The game's changed so much every year I check the NFL rushing average is still 4.2 yards per carry as it's been for decades, enough to consistently get conversions in three plays. The main change is putting pass defense in strait jackets so thick "establishing" the pass is no longer needed: Teams can pass at will whether others try defending or not. That's bad for competition, and thus interest, and thus ratings, and thus profits; the NFL will eventually learn that the hard way.

Meanwhile, long offensive drives still tire opposing defenses and rest ours, and the best way to prevent opponents unleashing the Hurry Up is still to keep them on the sidelines.
    The game has changed. The hurry up offense, and rythym is more important to offense now than time of possession,
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Ya I hate it when we score lots of touchdowns. We need to stop doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

19. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The game has changed. The hurry up offense, and rythym is more important to offense now than time of possession,
    Yet I keep hearing people say the only way to beat guys like Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees is to keep them off the field. If anything, handicapping defense has made time of possession more important than ever, because dog teams that got pounded 30 years ago throwing Hail Marys all game actually have a chance now. For Petes sake, Joe FLACCO won a Super Bowl with a D eligible for Social Security!

Ya I hate it when we score lots of touchdowns. We need to stop doing that.
    Who said don't score lots of TDs? All I said was take our time doing it. What I really hate is when the other team scores MORE TDs; then it doesn't matter how many we score. And in an era when touching their passers or receivers just results in automatic first downs and suspended Pro Bowlers, the best way to prevent them scoring isn't playing defense (increasingly impossible,) it's keeping the ball.

21. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information