Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is The NBA Rigging Games To Get The Lakers In The Playoffs?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I really did post the video as a tongue in cheek response to what most people feel when watching NBA games. While I don't think there is anything that the league is expressly doing to get the Lakers into the playoffs, I do believe there is such a thing as favoritism and "superstar calls" that can swing a close game towards certain teams. I'm not saying there is a grand conspiracy, but it does seem like sometimes the refs swallow their whistles at the wrong time and blow them too readily at other moments. Cherry picking those instances in a youtube video proves nothing, I just wish foul calling in the NBA wasn't so subjective.
    I totally agree with you. There are "favored" teams, as well as "favored" players, when it comes to NOT calling fouls, and that just did not start this season.

AND then this:

Tim Donaghy’s Book: Refs Fix Games, Hate Allen Iverson and Raja Bell

We’ve already established that Tim Donaghy is a crooked person who bet on NBA games that he officiated and fixed. Since he’s already been to jail to serve his time and the league never backed him up, he’s out for payback in the worst way possible: he’s written a book about the officiating corruption in the league that names names and cites specific examples. Although the book doesn’t have a publisher currently, excerpts have reached Deadspin and they’re here for our perusal.

First, here are some of the facts. We’ve already recognized that Donaghy was perfect at moving the spread and delivering. Additionally, one of the games we pinpointed as one he fixed even was mentioned in his excerpt. He even said the reason the free throw disparity favored the Knicks so greatly was that one of the officials was super friendly with Isiah Thomas. Makes sense. Anyway, more on the specifics from the book.

Donaghy specifically states that stars got preferential treatment and that lesser-known players like Raja Bell, who was a defensive stopper, got fouls called against him so he couldn’t shut down the stars as well. He also says that Allen Iverson was given a tough time by referees after he criticized Steve Javie. Donaghy specifically names referees and what their motivation was. The strongest charge was against Dick Bavetta, whom Donaghy called a company man that manipulated games and playoff series including the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and Kings. Tim also said that referee Tommy Nunez did everything he could to fix the Suns/Spurs ’07 Western Conference playoff series in favor of San Antonio. The Spurs of course went on to win the NBA Finals.
    rest - http://larrybrownsports.com/basketba...aja-bell/10642
    There are places within the article where you can click on something to learn more.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Nah, like any conspiracy it falls apart due to the fact that no one can keep a secret. The minute some ref felt shafted or got fired they would be asking the media for a lot of money to share their story.
    Exactly. It just WAY to big a risk for a pro sports league to fix games. Especially for something as meaningless as the Lakers being the 8 seed.

If the NBA was rigging games the Spurs, a boring team in a small market, would not have 4 titles.

just search Tim Donaghy... that will point you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

5. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    Exactly. It just WAY to big a risk for a pro sports league to fix games. Especially for something as meaningless as the Lakers being the 8 seed.

If the NBA was rigging games the Spurs, a boring team in a small market, would not have 4 titles.

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

People still watch the NBA?

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    of course they are... it's the NBA, it's worse than the WWE
    But is it worse than WTE?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The only thing worse than the calls that Kobe Bryant gets are the Duke charge calls.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The NBA is made unwatchable by it's refs. Terrible. Anyone remember the first Dallas vs. Miami finals? Or the old Bulls vs. Anybody series' when Jordan could do anything he wanted and practically every shot he put up would send him to the FT line?

The NBA on a legitimacy scale is just this side of professional wrestling.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Speaking of Ed Rush...bounties for Ts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ating/2047023/

Piece of shit.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    But is it worse than WTE?
    lol, that's def the worst.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

After watching Laker games and the refs during them, i had to stop watching basketball i was getting so pissed off at the rigged nature of the sport when it comes to late game fouls.

No one gets more calls than LeBron James. You can't defend him because touching him is a foul. Then when he plays D he can hang all over you. The NBA is a bad product. I love my Celtics, but it's awful to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I haven't watched an NBA game in its entirety in probably 5 years. I refuse to support Stern's crooked product.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    The NBA is made unwatchable by it's refs. Terrible. Anyone remember the first Dallas vs. Miami finals? Or the old Bulls vs. Anybody series' when Jordan could do anything he wanted and practically every shot he put up would send him to the FT line?

The NBA on a legitimacy scale is just this side of professional wrestling.
    They lost me way back when they apparently decided that traveling didn't apply to Michael Jordan. The whole problem IMO was David Stern's focus on superstars rather than teams, because of the marketing possibilities. Add in the absurd playoff structure and the League's general toleration of thug behavior and I just checked out
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

21. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    They lost me way back when they apparently decided that traveling didn't apply to Michael Jordan. The whole problem IMO was David Stern's focus on superstars rather than teams, because of the marketing possibilities. Add in the absurd playoff structure and the League's general toleration of thug behavior and I just checked out
    I quit watching it for year. I have to say that having the Thunder move to town really got me back involved in it, but it is really frustrating watching the officiating, and the relaxation of some of the most fundamental rules.

I always kind of roll my eyes when I see folks arguing that Goodell is ruining the NFL with some of these contact rules meant to support player safety, but the NBA is the prime example of how a sport can be ruined when it gets too far away from the basic, historical rules.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information