Thread: Faith in Orton still alive Ron Turner still believes QB will succeed

Default Faith in Orton still alive Ron Turner still believes QB will succeed

August 27, 2009, 4:32 PM

By: Jeff Dickerson

Ron Tuner may be the most qualified person to speak about Kyle Orton. The duo's player/coach relationship dates back to 2005, and even though they now work for different organizations, the offensive coordinator still thinks highly of his former quarterback.

For the first time in Kyle Orton's NFL career, Ron Turner isn't his offensive coordinator.
    "He's a good player, he's talented, he's extremely intelligent [and] a very good leader with a tremendous work ethic," Turner said. "He started as a rookie [in 2005]. The next year he's not starting; in fact he's third [on the depth chart]. That was tough on him -- that would have been tough on anybody -- but he handled it the right way. He came to work every day and he learned. He learned from the guys around him, he learned how to prepare, he waited his turn and when he had an opportunity, he was ready. Before he got hurt last year, he was having a fabulous year."

Tuner predicts similar success for Orton in Denver, despite that the quarterback has endured some struggles in the preseason.

"He will [succeed] because he is very strong mentally, and he's not going to let anything get to him," Turner said. "I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play very well for them."

Of course, the offensive coordinator's main concern this weekend is to make sure Jay Cutler and the Bears' offense play well against the Broncos' 3-4 defense. Turner knows the atmosphere will be intense due to Cutler's return to the Mile High City, but expects his new quarterback to handle the situation with ease.

"I'm sure it will be [emotional for Cutler]," Turner said. "He and I have talked about that, and the big thing he has to do is just focus on the important things, and that's doing his job. He did a great job of that last week.

"There's going to be distractions all week. But they're only distractions if you let them be. Just stay focused on doing your job, preparing the right way, and that'll talk care of itself. I'm sure it's going to be tough, but I'm sure he'll do it."

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

this isn't intended as a dig at orton, so don't anyone get their defensive panties in a bunch, but. . . how flippin' ironic is it to hear someone from chicago heaping praise on him after they started wrecks freaking grossman over him, and wanted to replace him so badly that they gave up one of the biggest package deals in NFL history to get a different QB?

i mean, it's classy of turner to say what he did, he's just taking the high road-- but his words ring pretty hollow against the reality of the situation. . .

ah well, hopefully orton can do more to prove him right here in denver than he did in chicago. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    this isn't intended as a dig at orton, so don't anyone get their defensive panties in a bunch, but. . . how flippin' ironic is it to hear someone from chicago heaping praise on him after they started wrecks freaking grossman over him, and wanted to replace him so badly that they gave up one of the biggest package deals in NFL history to get a different QB?

i mean, it's classy of turner to say what he did, he's just taking the high road-- but his words ring pretty hollow against the reality of the situation. . .

ah well, hopefully orton can do more to prove him right here in denver than he did in chicago. . . .
    I hope so too.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

well you have to also remember that Ron turner was the guy that would not give Jay a scholarship to IL unless he played Safety.. so if KO did not develop as much as he could have in CHI maybe it was the system/coaching and not the QB..

I suspect that jay will also not develope as well as he could..

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    well you have to also remember that Ron turner was the guy that would not give Jay a scholarship to IL unless he played Safety.. so if KO did not develop as much as he could have in CHI maybe it was the system/coaching and not the QB..
    i think that's what we're all hoping for. . . the 55% completion rate and 1:1 TD-INT ratio guy we saw in chicago certainly isn't the QB we want leading our team going forward, so everyone's hoping he can flourish with better coaching and talent around him-- i don't think there's any question he has that here, now we get to see what he can do with it. . .

the one good thing is that he's only under contract for a year, so if he doesn't progress as hoped it won't cost us anything to let him go. . . of course, that can also be a double-edged sword if he does come out and have a great year, but that's the risk you take. . . and i'd sure rather risk it than give him any more money based solely on what we think he might be able to do. . . it looks like next year's draft class should be pretty strong at QB-- if orton has anything less than a strong season, i just hope we do what it takes to secure a quality young prospect rather than spend more years trying to develop kyle. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

if he has a great year i would be willing to bet he wont be a turd and refuse to play ,he will gladly sign a new deal and stay with the team that gave him a chance to shine!
    also he was just mentioned as a top 5 fantasy sleeper on nfl.com ,because he isnt a shytty as alot of people think.
    i think he wont set any records but will play well and we will do as well or better than the past 3 years (even with our brutal schedule).
    that will be good enough for me . i really think we should give the whole team at least til' the end of next season before throwing in the towell

I think he will do well in the system better than he did in chi town.. that is not to say we are going to win alot of games.. so his W-L record may suck but it will only mean we are playing a lot tougher schedule than lasts years was..

Maybe he will not be another tom Brady in the system but until we allow him to try.. we will not know and we also need to remember that TB had a couple of years backing up Bledso IIRC before he got thrown to the wolves..

This kid is learning EVERYTHING new including how to throw the ball with Josh's basics..

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

I suspect that jay will also not develope as well as he could..
    That is false. It was one of Turner's assistant coaches who was contacting Cutler. Turner had no idea that was happening. It said so in a Denver Post article that I know you read...

Also, Jay will develop just fine. Orton developed a TON since his rookie year. I'm talking light years and FYI he wasn't coaching himself. I fact, for the 2006 season he was 3rd string because he was ticked that he wasn't going to start and showed up way out of shape and not prepared. Then they started getting serious with him and did a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbana View Post
    That is false. It was one of Turner's assistant coaches who was contacting Cutler. Turner had no idea that was happening. It said so in a Denver Post article that I know you read...

Also, Jay will develop just fine. Orton developed a TON since his rookie year. I'm talking light years and FYI he wasn't coaching himself. I fact, for the 2006 season he was 3rd string because he was ticked that he wasn't going to start and showed up way out of shape and not prepared. Then they started getting serious with him and did a lot of work.
    you really think the HEAD COACH of the team is not the one making decisions on who gets scholarships ...

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information