Thread: Manning out, wants in

Default Manning out, wants in

Continued absence could harm starting role

August 27, 2009, 4:32 PM

By: Jeff Dickerson

Lovie Smith threw a little cold water on the notion of Danieal Manning playing this week in Denver.

[+] EnlargeJonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Danieal Manning's 2009 debut will likely be delayed yet again.
    "We haven't gotten him into the mix completely right now," Smith said. "We just want to get him out here and start the process, which we've done. He's doing a little more each day. He's getting better, doesn't seem to be having any problems."

Smith holds the final say, but if it were up to Manning, he'd be out there Sunday night.

"I feel like I need to be out there before the regular season," Manning said. "That's just the way I feel. But, hey man, if it doesn't go that way, that's fine, it wasn't meant for it to go that way."

The Bears also may opt to sit Zack Bowman, who, like Manning, is dealing with a hamstring injury.

The unfortunate part for Manning is the longer he misses, the tougher it'll be to reclaim the starting free safety job. Right now, Kevin Payne and Al Afalava are penciled in to start, and that won't change unless Manning puts himself back in the mix. Or if the coaching staff officially signs off on his return.

Same guy, different circumstances

Much of the discussion in the locker room Thursday centered around the Bears' familiarity with Kyle Orton. This may come as a surprise, but just because the Bears saw Orton in practice every day doesn't necessarily mean they have an edge going into Sunday night's contest.

"It depends on who executes their assignments," Payne said. "You can know anybody as well as you want to, but if you slip and fall, or are out of position, you can give up a big play. That's what it all boils down to."

But don't expect anybody to take it easy on Orton. Friendships in the NFL are an overrated concept, especially when a defensive lineman is rushing the quarterback -- with the notable exception of the Brett Favre/Michael Strahan embarrassment a few years ago.

"He's a quarterback, that's it," defensive end Alex Brown said. "He's still a good friend, but he's a quarterback with a different jersey on. I wouldn't treat him any different than we treat Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, well & just a little joke Aaron, I'm just kidding."
    All jokes aside, the defense better be ready to face Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers on opening night. How close are they?

"Halfway, maybe," Brown said. "We're starting to understand, starting to believe that we can be pretty darn good if we continue to work, and continue to do the things we need to do. We have a lot of talent, so it's a matter of just going out and working hard, and making sure we don't forget what got us to this point. Whatever we did well the last week, we have to do better the next week. That's the way we are looking at it."

Brown missed practice Thursday due to a hamstring injury. Joining him on the sidelines were Nick Roach (concussion), Jamar Williams (foot) and Henry Melton (ankle). Melton was seen wearing a walking boot on his right foot

They will lay off him.

Class.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I'm sorry, but I lost count. How many DBs do we already have in camp? I've been under the distinct impression that our #1 concern on defense is out front 7. Shouldn't we be bringing in more canidates for those positions?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Number 7

I think we got who we got on Dline. It is a bit encouraging to see some sacks coming, albeit just in preseason. Feels like we have more already this year than all of last. (but then, how hard would THAT be?)
    "What do you want your dash to represent?"

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived gobroncsnv For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information