Thread: RV driving in Denver in late fall early winter???

Default RV driving in Denver in late fall early winter???

So, you guys in Denver, what's the story on snow from say October to mid December?

If there is snow, how long typically before interstates are cleared enough to travel on them?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

You're generally going to be better off in October than you are in April if you're trying to avoid snow... November/December not as snowy as Feb/March but you can still get a couple big storms.

The traffic and road conditions are going to largely be storm dependent - but the state's commerce relies on the I-70 / I-25 corridors remaining open, so even if they close, it's only going to be for several hours and that's usually outside of the city, rarely in the city... It's not like Charlotte or Atlanta or Dallas where they don't have the infrastructure and are more at the mercy of the storms - Denver specializes in this stuff.

The CDOT website is a good resource for real time/upcoming info. https://maps.cotrip.org/

That's what I was thinking and telling my wife, including exactly that about April vs October.

Does this sound reasonable? If I'm willing to hunker down and work from the RV for a few extra days, or even a week, then more than likely streets and interstates would be cleared and able to move again?

That said, if a major blizzard level storm was being forecast, i would cancel my trip or head home early.

Does that sound safe\reasonable for Oct\Nov, possibly first half of December (wife always wants to be gone at least a week before Christmas).

By the way, I tow a wrangler, so while RV is parked, I have 4 wheel drive with aggressive tires on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    That's what I was thinking and telling my wife, including exactly that about April vs October.

Does this sound reasonable? If I'm willing to hunker down and work from the RV for a few extra days, or even a week, then more than likely streets and interstates would be cleared and able to move again?

That said, if a major blizzard level storm was being forecast, i would cancel my trip or head home early.

Does that sound safe\reasonable for Oct\Nov, possibly first half of December (wife always wants to be gone at least a week before Christmas).

By the way, I tow a wrangler, so while RV is parked, I have 4 wheel drive with aggressive tires on it.
    Yeah, as long as you aren't committed to traveling during a specific 1-2 day window, you can almost certainly find some favorable traveling conditions. And they are pretty good about forecasting winter storms with more precision nowadays.

Around the city is going to vary. The city of Denver doesn't plow residential streets, just the major thoroughfares, so that may or may not affect you depending on where you're staying/going. That usually doesn't become as big of a factor until later in the season when the snow has piled up. And if you have a Wrangler, not as big of a deal.

Only big issue would be the RV getting stuck in an RV park for extended period, if roads out of park don't clear. It's 44 feet long and 40,000lbs (think Greyhound bus).

Guess I can teach out to some parks I might stay at and ask what happens to access roads after a snow storm.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information