I'm with top

COORS

and it's a great chaser

God Bless Our Military Men and Women.

Damien Nash
    Darrent Williams
    Kenny McKinley

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon View Post
    Okay, like Tned I'm not a beer connoiseur like some of you but I do have my faves.

Ice cold Shiner Bock straight from the tap is my favorite when eating out.

I really enjoy Samual Adams Black Lager, although I have trouble finding it locally and usually have to buy a gift pack with a number of their other beers, most of which I don't like. But I just give those to somebody who does.

And it's been awhile but I seem to remember really liking Colorado's own Flat Tire. I need to get up there again to see if I'm remembering that right.

FWIW, I seem to be one of the few people in the world who is not a fan of Guinness Stout, at least not from the one time I had it.

Any suggestions for dark, flavorful, non-bitter beers for a novice beer-drinker looking to expand his beer-drinking experience?
    I suggest Avalanche from Breckenridge Brewery. It may not be available where you are, but it's my favorite beer. Amber style. Keep it in mind.

I don't like Guiness either. I would much rather drink an Amber anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    I suggest Avalanche from Breckenridge Brewery. It may not be available where you are, but it's my favorite beer. Amber style. Keep it in mind.

I don't like Guiness either. I would much rather drink an Amber anyday.
    Wow. Funny you mentioned that beer. I love it. Friends have a time share up there and I remember that Avalanche. Very good stuff while sitting in a hot tub outside in the snow.

Damien Nash
    Darrent Williams
    Kenny McKinley

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Okay, like Tned I'm not a beer connoiseur like some of you but I do have my faves.

I really enjoy Samual Adams Black Lager, although I have trouble finding it locally and usually have to buy a gift pack with a number of their other beers, most of which I don't like. But I just give those to somebody who does.

And it's been awhile but I seem to remember really liking Colorado's own Flat Tire. I need to get up there again to see if I'm remembering that right.

FWIW, I seem to be one of the few people in the world who is not a fan of Guinness Stout, at least not from the one time I had it.

Any suggestions for dark, flavorful, non-bitter beers for a novice beer-drinker looking to expand his beer-drinking experience?
    Not sure if they have it where you're at but Black Butte porter is excellent.
    Also Samuel Smith's nut brown ale is pretty good.

Now you guys and gals are starting to kill me. Making me so thirsty for some real beer.

I live in Utah.

Damien Nash
    Darrent Williams
    Kenny McKinley

Calibroncogrl47 Guest

Since a Margartia or Daquri doesnt count.. I will say a Smirnoff? Does that count

Hey dogfish! I LOVE beer!

Often beer is understated, because it's thought of as a trucker's beer or a redneck's drink, ever noticed that? Yet, it's not unlike the wine industry, and getting very competitive and broader all the time in how it appeals to people.

It's interesting how in the wine world, you tend to have wine lovers who prefer cheap wines to expensive wines and/or white to red. In the beer world, I notice either you like heavy lagers or lighter brews.

Personally, I enjoy beers on the lighter side, but will sample ALL BEER, and enjoy the experience. Having been enjoying the wine world for well over a decade and enjoying wine tasting and lushing, I'm now getting more interested in sampling many various beers as well.

Question1: How does everyone think about a warm beer vs a chilled beer?
    Question2: How do you think it compares for beer, on tap, canned, or bottled?
    Question3: Has anyone seen this link yet ? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2464

Love the thread dog, thanks for starting it once again!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm not a fan of Guinness stout either, but every time I've been through Ireland I've always had a pint just because...when in Rome...
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post

i said that to say this. i never remembered budwieser tasting so good. was it just the lack of drinking it so long?

i'm going to say, YES!!

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx
    also any recommendations on a really really good beer?

keep an eye out for dogfish head 60 minute IPA and 90 minute IPA. . . if you tell me more specifically what you like, i can come up with some more. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I need to start brewing again. My dad and I started about 8 years ago, so I've got some experience under my belt, but it's been a while. We used to go to this store of of 67th ave and Bell in Glendale, AZ called "What ale's ya" to get our supplies. The last beer we made together was an AWESOME rasberry wheat beer. Mmmmmmmmm

Try some "Arrogant ******* Ale" if you want to try something bold.
    brewing is fun as hell. . .

i recently just had the limited edition "oaked *******," which was pretty damn good. . . the oak wasn't overwhelming, which is how i prefer it-- some oaked beers can be over the top, where the oakiness chokes out the flavor of the beer. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

i love a light cold beer on tap.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:

you don't need to be a conoisseur to enjoy a good brew! new belgium, the brewers of fat tire, also have a beer called 1554-- it'a a brussells style black lager, and is extremely good. . . warsteiner dunkel is another good dark lager. . .

guiness may be too dry for you-- look for mackeson english triple stout, a lactose stout which is much sweeter, or left hand' milk stout (another colorado brewery). . . anchor steam porter is a very smooth, robust dark beer. . . and IMO the two best dark beers out there are avery's czar (yet another colorado brewery) and dogfish head's indian brown ale, one of my all-time favorites. . . avery's mephistopheles stout is also very, very good. . .
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    you don't need to be a conoisseur to enjoy a good brew! new belgium, the brewers of fat tire, also have a beer called 1554-- it'a a brussells style black lager, and is extremely good. . . warsteiner dunkel is another good dark lager. . .

guiness may be too dry for you-- look for mackeson english triple stout, a lactose stout which is much sweeter, or left hand' milk stout (another colorado brewery). . . anchor steam porter is a very smooth, robust dark beer. . . and IMO the two best dark beers out there are avery's czar (yet another colorado brewery) and dogfish head's indian brown ale, one of my all-time favorites. . . avery's mephistopheles stout is also very, very good. . .
    I forgot that's where you got your username.

Thanks much for the recommendations. It sounds like you endorse a number of Colorado beers. Are any of your picks common enough to be found in most larger liquor stores or will they be hard to find?

Adopted Bronco:

I forgot that's where you got your username.

Thanks much for the recommendations. It sounds like you endorse a number of Colorado beers. Are any of your picks common enough to be found in most larger liquor stores or will they be hard to find?
    i honestly can't say for sure, but i know that dogfish is distributed almost everywhere besides cali, and i can get all of those beers here in ohio-- you will have to find a high-end store, though, you won't get that stuff at the quicky mart. . . you can find local distributors for most of those breweries through their websites, and call the distributor to find what local stores carry their brews. . . and yes, i do like a lot of colorado beers-- there are a LOT of breweries there, and i got a chance to get pretty familiar with a number of them when i lived there. . .

- John Elway

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by -HW- View Post
    Hey dogfish! I LOVE beer!

Often beer is understated, because it's thought of as a trucker's beer or a redneck's drink, ever noticed that? Yet, it's not unlike the wine industry, and getting very competitive and broader all the time in how it appeals to people.

It's interesting how in the wine world, you tend to have wine lovers who prefer cheap wines to expensive wines and/or white to red. In the beer world, I notice either you like heavy lagers or lighter brews.

Personally, I enjoy beers on the lighter side, but will sample ALL BEER, and enjoy the experience. Having been enjoying the wine world for well over a decade and enjoying wine tasting and lushing, I'm now getting more interested in sampling many various beers as well.
    that's true. . . i can appreciate both, but my natural preference is for heavier, richer beers. . . although they aren't necessarily darker-- a lot of my very favorites are light to medium-colored ales, but they are so heavy and high in alcohol that no one would describe them as "lighter". . .

i also drink different beers according to the season, with almost all heavier ales and darker beers in the fall and winter, and lighter beers like pilsners and pale ales more in the spring and summer. . . and IPAs year round!

if you're interested in trying new beers, i can certainly make some recommendations if you want. . .

Question1: How does everyone think about a warm beer vs a chilled beer?
    depends on what type of beer it is, as some serve at different temperatures than others. . . lighter beers like lagers and pilsners, ambers, bitters etc. are best served as cold as possible. . . while most heavier and/or darker ales are better closer to cellar temperature, as a slightly warmer beer allows the sweet notes to come out more. . . and the thickest beers are also better at cellar temperature, the stouts and heaviest porters. . . imperial stouts i will usually leave out 20+ minutes to let it warm up, and possibly with some of the belgian ales as well. . .

Question2: How do you think it compares for beer, on tap, canned, or bottled?
    draft is always best if you can get it, but that really limits your selection for practical purposes-- bottled is fine, especially if you're looking for rarer beers. . . canned is not so good, IMO. . .

Question3: Has anyone seen this link yet ? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/2464
    yes-- i've looked at the site once or twice. . . looks pretty interesting. . .

Love the thread dog, thanks for starting it once again!
    thanks, good to have ya!
    - John Elway

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information