Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raiders Cut Third-Round Pick Quentin Moses

Default Raiders Cut Third-Round Pick Quentin Moses

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...quentin-moses/

Raiders Cut Third-Round Pick Quentin Moses

Posted Sep 1st 2007 8:11PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Raiders, NFL Draft, Oakland
    We already know the Raiders will head into the season without their first-round pick, JaMarcus Russell, whose holdout is ongoing.

Now Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Raiders also won't have their third-round pick, defensive end Quentin Moses, who was released today. That makes Moses, the 65th player selected overall in April, the highest choice to fail to make his team's 53-man roster, beating out ex-Cardinals linebacker Buster Davis for that dubious distinction.

At Georgia, Moses was known as a great athlete who often failed to play up to his athletic potential. Because of that potential, some team will at least give Moses a spot on its practice squad, but his failure to make the team is an embarrassment both to him and to the Raiders.

Note: Schefter also reports that the Raiders have released safety Donovin Darius.
    Wow, this guy is like a Jarvis Moss type player - incredibly quick, great pass rusher, lanky with long arms, and a bit weak against the run because he needs to gain weight. Some initial draft sites predicted him to be going in the 1st round.

First JaMarcus with the holdout, now a 3rd round pick; talk about some Raiders draft woes.

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...quentin-moses/

Wow, this guy is like a Jarvis Moss type player - incredibly quick, great pass rusher, lanky with long arms, and a bit weak against the run because he needs to gain weight. Some initial draft sites predicted him to be going in the 1st round.

First JaMarcus with the holdout, now a 3rd round pick; talk about some Raiders draft woes.

Some sites had him not only in the first round, but to us.....

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I had him last year as one of the guys I wanted us to draft...and early at that.

Maybe he just loafed for the Raiders hoping to be picked up by an actual NFL franshise.

Imagine having another talented speed rushing end fighting for playing time.

I would like to know why he was cut. I remember that a few mock drafts had him to us in the first.

^^^^^^^^^^
    made by Snk16

I was browsing a Raider forum and the move seemed like a shock to them too. A lot of the fans wanted him to stay, and he supposedly had a pretty good preseason.

Some speculated it was an attitude thing ... being late to meetings, or not buying into what Lane Kiffin was saying.

Nothing official yet. Before this, he was being praised by one of their coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    I was browsing a Raider forum and the move seemed like a shock to them too. A lot of the fans wanted him to stay, and he supposedly had a pretty good preseason.

Some speculated it was an attitude thing ... being late to meetings, or not buying into what Lane Kiffin was saying.

Nothing official yet. Before this, he was being praised by one of their coaches.
    The attitude thing is speculation.

He was outplayed in the pre-season by Jay Richardson. So why waive him? Don't know yet.

Remember, he WAS a top-10 pick after his junior year, but fell to us in the third round after his senior year. I had him starting opposite Burgess. But that work ethic from his senior year may still be there. I am not alarmed until I see two full seasons from him because teams in the past have had pass rushers with blazing speed and a quick first step, and about 2.5 sacks a year.

Personally, if the rumblings about this move are true, I hope you guys pick him up and he gets 10 sacks each game, losing the games of course. I'm a die hard Raiders fan, but I don't mind dumb decisions proving someone wrong, like the Marcus Allen thing. We'll see though, Moses still only has potential to go with and it is incredibly rare that the Raiders let go of a future star. But so far Kiffin has been right. I felt this way about Darnell Bing, and thought the Niners found gold our trash became their treasure, but he got cut by the Niners yesterday. After that, I realized that this is why we're only fans of the sport and only coaches of fantasy leagues and Madden (or 2k5 which I still play!)
    Last edited by Devilspawn; 09-02-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    The attitude thing is speculation.

He was outplayed in the pre-season by Jay Richardson. So why waive him? Don't know yet.

Remember, he WAS a top-10 pick after his junior year, but fell to us in the third round after his senior year. I had him starting opposite Burgess. But that work ethic from his senior year may still be there. I am not alarmed until I see two full seasons from him because teams in the past have had pass rushers with blazing speed and a quick first step, and about 2.5 sacks a year.

Personally, if the rumblings about this move are true, I hope you guys pick him up and he gets 10 sacks each game, losing the games of course. I'm a die hard Raiders fan, but I don't mind dumb decisions proving someone wrong, like the Marcus Allen thing. We'll see though, Moses still only has potential to go with and it is incredibly rare that the Raiders let go of a future star. But so far Kiffin has been right. I felt this way about Darnell Bing, and thought the Niners found gold our trash became their treasure, but he got cut by the Niners yesterday. After that, I realized that this is why we're only fans of the sport and only coaches of fantasy leagues and Madden (or 2k5 which I still play!)
    Cool info, thanks..

But we are better than the coaches ... we remember all their mistakes, and conveniently forget all of ours.

I think a team will pick him up real fast, and I'd actually like Denver to get him for added depth, but if he has attitude problems, no thanks. One thing Kiffin seems to focus on a lot is character.

(off-topic) With that said, I don't think they'll sign Russell because of the ridiculously long holdout period. What's the sentiment with the Raiders fans? Do they still want to keep Russell?

That's crazy since a lot of people had us drafting him in the first round and it's also pretty funny because after the draft people were talking about how crazy good the Raiders draft picks were and now it's turning out to be pretty bad for them.
    Biff Bonk Boy!

Most of them, no. They're ready to move on and are tired of the rumors with no pen to paper.
    DS I hate the Raiders more than my ex-wife. But I don't want any team to have the trouble that you are with your #1 overall. I hope they can reach a deal soon.

^^^^^^^^^^
    made by Snk16

Well, being a Georgia fan, I hurt for Quentin Moses being cut. He was a great DE for them. I also was very surprised to see no less than a half a dozen or more former Georgia players getting the axe around the league. Ken Shackleford, Greg Blue, Tra Battle, Bruce Thornton, Demario Minter, Fred Gibson.

Moses got signed by the Cardinals today. I hope he does well, and I bet he'll have a chance to start there by midseason.

i'll be honest that cut shocked me the most, moreso than releasing Donovin Darius.

Like DS was saying i hope that move doesnt come back to haunt us, but i give the coaches the nod for knowing more than what i have seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    Well, being a Georgia fan, I hurt for Quentin Moses being cut. He was a great DE for them. I also was very surprised to see no less than a half a dozen or more former Georgia players getting the axe around the league. Ken Shackleford, Greg Blue, Tra Battle, Bruce Thornton, Demario Minter, Fred Gibson.

Moses got signed by the Cardinals today. I hope he does well, and I bet he'll have a chance to start there by midseason.

we didnt even blink an eye to pick up moses. im pretty sure were gung ho on signing rice now.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

With Dumerville and Moss, I think the Broncos ranks with more "specialized" DE's is pretty solid. I don't know, as a PS grab, he could be interesting, but I would prefer to look up other avenues then grab another DE that doesn't translate to more then a 3rd down rush. None the less he is an interesting player to look into.

One other player I find interesting is Eric Frampton (the Raiders 4th round selection). He is a very interesting Safety prospect, and I would be interested in see who grabs him. A lot of the Raiders draft seemed to have already left this year, or failed to show up....
    Temp sig till I find another one

I just got word that Moses is in Arizona. Confirmation?
    Correcto-mundo

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...waiver-ON.html

The Cardinals have a third-round pick on their roster after all.

They cut their third-rounder, linebacker Buster Davis, on Friday. But on Sunday, they claimed defensive end Quentin Moses off waivers. Moses, the Raiders' third-round pick this year, was cut late this week.

Moses, 6 feet 5, 260 pounds, was beaten out by a fifth-round selection, Jay Richardson.

Moses played at Georgia, where his specialty was rushing the passer. With outside linebacker/defensive end Chike Okeafor likely out for the year, the Cardinals needed some depth.

It's not yet known how the Cardinals created a roster spot for Moses. Okeafor could be placed on injured reserve this weekend, or a player could have been released.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information