Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New CellPhone Shopping

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Default New CellPhone Shopping

I need help. I am currently eligible for upgraded pricing through Verizon for a new phone, but I have been since December, and have not really been interested in switching phones.

I've been very please with my current HTC Thunderbolt 4GLTE, and really didn't see enough of a difference in anything else to justify switching. . .the newer phones don't do much that the Thunderbolt didn't do very well.

That is until Verizon "upgraded" the software on the phone, and now it is maddeningly slow. I just want to throw it across the room sometimes. Verizon can't explain why the software upgrade should slow it down (I don't see that it should, the TBolt has plenty of computing power, and was one of the faster phones when it came out), but now it simply is slow, and it's frustrating to use.

So. .. I'm not sure I really want to do another 2 year contract, just in order to keep my options open. I like Verizon, and have never had a problem with them, but I also currently have unlimited data etc., and I have heard that if I re-up on a new 2 year contract that they will not give me that option any longer.

So my question is three-fold.

1. Which phone(s) should I be looking at? Currently it would appear that the Samsung Galaxy SIII is the best one out there.

2. Where do I purchase said phone without having to update a contract? Any pitfalls to look out for when doing this?

3. Or am I better off just doing another 2 year contract.

I have AT&T, they will sell you a phone without a new contract but you pay full price. So for an Iphone it would be about $600 plus. How much data can you purchase with the difference in price over 2 years?
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You can always look for phones on Amazon and Ebay if you don't want to get locked into another 2 year contract. My girlfriend got a really good deal on an HTC Evo on Ebay.

If you don't mind the two year contract though phones are almost always cheaper that way. I don't really know what to recommend specifically but it does seem you are right that the Galaxy S3 is the best one out there right now.

Personally I don't like phones that big as they are a hassle to get in and out of your pocket, but I don't know how you feel about that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I need help. I am currently eligible for upgraded pricing through Verizon for a new phone, but I have been since December, and have not really been interested in switching phones.

I've been very please with my current HTC Thunderbolt 4GLTE, and really didn't see enough of a difference in anything else to justify switching. . .the newer phones don't do much that the Thunderbolt didn't do very well.

That is until Verizon "upgraded" the software on the phone, and now it is maddeningly slow. I just want to throw it across the room sometimes. Verizon can't explain why the software upgrade should slow it down (I don't see that it should, the TBolt has plenty of computing power, and was one of the faster phones when it came out), but now it simply is slow, and it's frustrating to use.

So. .. I'm not sure I really want to do another 2 year contract, just in order to keep my options open. I like Verizon, and have never had a problem with them, but I also currently have unlimited data etc., and I have heard that if I re-up on a new 2 year contract that they will not give me that option any longer.

So my question is three-fold.

1. Which phone(s) should I be looking at? Currently it would appear that the Samsung Galaxy SIII is the best one out there.

2. Where do I purchase said phone without having to update a contract? Any pitfalls to look out for when doing this?

3. Or am I better off just doing another 2 year contract.
    I have heard there is new a Nexus phone coming out soon. These have been highly rated from what I have heard.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I have AT&T, they will sell you a phone without a new contract but you pay full price. So for an Iphone it would be about $600 plus. How much data can you purchase with the difference in price over 2 years?
    It's not unusual for me to use 3-4 Gigabytes of data in a month.

The new options are 2 GB - $30/month (I pay $29.99/month now for unlimited) or 5 GB $50/month. So, $20/month over two years is $240, but I'd be giving up the unlimited data forever, not just 2 years.

i pay 30/month for unlimited too, since i got in early. just waiting for them to loophole me into paying out the ass.

the galaxy s4 is coming out in like april. i'm eligible for upgrade, but am planning on waiting for that to come out i think. haven't researched a lot, but everyone with the sIII loves em that i know and i am not desperate, so i'll wait for the s4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

7. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    i pay 30/month for unlimited too, since i got in early. just waiting for them to loophole me into paying out the ass.

the galaxy s4 is coming out in like april. i'm eligible for upgrade, but am planning on waiting for that to come out i think. haven't researched a lot, but everyone with the sIII loves em that i know and i am not desperate, so i'll wait for the s4.
    I am on Verizon and I have the Commado. My 2 yr contract ends in May and I am going to look into S4 or possible Nexus 5 (by HTC) could be out. Rumor is Nexus 5 is the next flag ship for google.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

If you currently have unlimited data through Verizon then you are grandfathered in and any new contract won't change that (unless they changed their policy from the last time I renewed).

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

If you currently have unlimited data through Verizon then you are grandfathered in and any new contract won't change that.
    Nope. new contract means you lose the unlimited data plan. My wife just went through this about 2 months ago. Her phone literally died so she had no choice. She had to upgrade and lost unlimited data.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Wait a couple weeks NTL. The Samsung Galaxy SIV Is almost out. That means the SIII is about to be CHEAP.

12. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Nope. new contract means you lose the unlimited data plan. My wife just went through this about 2 months ago. Her phone literally died so she had no choice. She had to upgrade and lost unlimited data.
    When did that change? I renewed in the summer of 2011 and they told me I'm grandfathered in as long as I'm with Verizon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

When did that change? I renewed in the summer of 2011 and they told me I'm grandfathered in as long as I'm with Verizon.
    You are only grandfathered in for as long as you have your current phone. Once you switch phones you lose unlimited data. Same happened to me when I recently switched phones.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

My wife got a new phone in December, we specifically asked about that. She had unlimited and was grandfathered in as long as she had that phone. But getting a new contract made her get knocked off to the 2GB a month. We figured that was a going to happen, good thing she does not use her phone that much for data.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    My wife got a new phone in December, we specifically asked about that. She had unlimited and was grandfathered in as long as she had that phone. But getting a new contract made her get knocked off to the 2GB a month. We figured that was a going to happen, good thing she does not use her phone that much for data.
    But I got a new phone, and a new contract, and I retained unlimited data. So I'm just wondering if they completely reversed their policy or if I'm missing something.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

But I got a new phone, and a new contract, and I retained unlimited data. So I'm just wondering if they completely reversed their policy or if I'm missing something.
    In 2011 they still had unlimited data for first time customers. I know because I was a first time customer in 2011 and got an iPhone with unlimited data. I think they were telling you would be grandfathered in as long as you were on the plan you signed in 2011.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information