Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: New CellPhone Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    I don't even own a computer. I use my phone for everything
    wow.. I can't even imagine trying to actually do everything on a phone. Looking at the screens and having to adjust the size, the scrolling, the terrible keyboard and search engines... not to mention most the websites aren't even good on mobile. The idea of watching more than youtube on a phone screen makes me cringe.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    I don't know what new phones are like. I wouldn't know the first thing about one. I've had a elcheapo for a couple of years now because i got tired of paying the huge cell bills every month. So i went to Wally World and bought a $55 phone that's just a basic old blackberry layout and pay a $45 a month fee (phone card) for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and i get to dabble on the internet a little bit when i'm bored. I don't come close to using up the 1000 minutes or texts. 100% satisfied and i enjoy having the extra money in my pocket every month.
    Dude.. upgrade your cell phone at Wally World to Straight Talk. Still 45 bucks a month for unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, and unlimited data... and NO cards. Simply pay through your phone, or, you can have it automatically paid via your card (like I do)...so I never have to worry about it turning off because I didn't realize it was due.

Now you say you don't use your data and texts much and that's cool, but you might as well get EVERYTHING unlimited, and no phone cards, for the same costs. They have some pretty new phones (I have the Galaxy S2) and they just brought out the Iphon 4 for straight talk. You have to buy those outright, but no contract and everything for 45 bucks a month. I've never had a single problem with mine, and always get the same kind of service I had before making the switch (I was with Sprint).
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

3. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I recently got a new job and decided I needed a smart phone so I could check weather radar and traffic on the go (long commute but the pay is 50% more than the last job) so I tried to find a phone and a plan that worked for a low-mileage user like me. After not being able to find a good fit with Republic Wireless or Ting, I looked at a company called Consumer Cellular (https://www.consumercellular.com/) which targets senior citizens (you can get AARP discounts). Through them, I bought an LG Nitro P930 that is very similar to the Samsung SII and set myself up on a plan that is $35/mo. I pay $15/mo for 200 cell minutes and $20/mo for 5,000 texts (I'll never use) and 500 MB of data. It is 4G and WiFi compatible and if you are using data on Wifi, that data is free. Only the data used on 4G counts on your plan. They are re-selling AT&T network so the coverage area matches AT&T. The company offers "how-to" videos for every phone they sell and has an app so you can track your usage. You're allowed to change plans on the fly if you are over or way under your plan limits. It also ranks first in terms of customer satisfaction, or so it claims (and they have been good so far).

The phone has a great picture quality and very versatile but it will crash if left on a long time so you can't really use it for streaming movies, not that I'd want to. I can stream some sports broadcasts though and might check out a YouTube once in awhile.

That's not with the AARP discount. I am not a member although I am eligible. AARP tried to sell us ObamaCare so it is on my boycott list.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 09-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Interesting. I've never has a windows phone. I definitely prefer any Android that I've had over Apple. My Android phones have been the Motorola Atrix HD and right now I use a Sony Xperia TL. I prefer the Xperia over the Atrix.

I've never used a iPhone.

The androids I had felt bloated and sluggish.

This windows phone is quite zippy, very nice UI.

The app store to me is the one thing apple/android has over the windows phone so really comes down to how important that is to you. For me, so far, the less apps is fine as I have found everything I need, and I like the UI that much more than the android(again, can't speak for apple), so the app tradeoff I can live with. The app supply is much better than I can find with my Microsoft Surface RT which does have a major app shortage.

You can change an Android UI to look like a Windows phone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Dude.. upgrade your cell phone at Wally World to Straight Talk. Still 45 bucks a month for unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, and unlimited data... and NO cards. Simply pay through your phone, or, you can have it automatically paid via your card (like I do)...so I never have to worry about it turning off because I didn't realize it was due.

Now you say you don't use your data and texts much and that's cool, but you might as well get EVERYTHING unlimited, and no phone cards, for the same costs. They have some pretty new phones (I have the Galaxy S2) and they just brought out the Iphon 4 for straight talk. You have to buy those outright, but no contract and everything for 45 bucks a month. I've never had a single problem with mine, and always get the same kind of service I had before making the switch (I was with Sprint).
    I misquoted myself on my minutes/texts Rav, the card i get is unlimited for $45. I have the Straight Talk service.

The 1000 minutes/1000 texts is $30 but with no internet service.

Do you have to have a credit card to pay through your phone?

I've seen that service provided (Straight Talk has sent texts giving me that option for me to use) but wasn't exactly sure how that worked.

How much is the Galaxy S2? I saw they had some kind of droid phone available i believe with the slide down keyboard and it was around $200.

"Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

10. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post

I love my iPhone and even I thought that was funny!

Every smartphone makes you think twice once you realize that the "Location Services" like GPS or even the movie showtime apps that know where you are know EXACTLY where you are.

12. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I love my iPhone and even I thought that was funny! Every smartphone makes you think twice once you realize that the "Location Services" like GPS or even the movie showtime apps that know where you are know EXACTLY where you are.
    iOS 7 is taking time to get used to but I love it
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    iOS 7 is taking time to get used to but I love it
    I like it a lot, too. Took me a while to figure out how to shut down the background apps that are running (to save the battery) though. It used to give you a little minus sign, now you swipe the programs up to shut them down. The coolest thing is the way the screen moves as you move the phone around.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I like it a lot, too. Took me a while to figure out how to shut down the background apps that are running (to save the battery) though. It used to give you a little minus sign, now you swipe the programs up to shut them down. The coolest thing is the way the screen moves as you move the phone around.
    I had some download problems as did a lot of iPhone 4 users but I got it going. It took me a long time to figure out to swipe up to close apps. Figured it out this morning. The swiping to the left instead of the right to delete emails and text message conversations also threw me off at first.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

I love my iPhone and even I thought that was funny!

Every smartphone makes you think twice once you realize that the "Location Services" like GPS or even the movie showtime apps that know where you are know EXACTLY where you are.
    Everyone I know really likes it. The GPS location service is a little disturbing, especially if you post photos to facebook. I saw on the news a few weeks ago that if you post photos on facebook of your kids at a park or school or whatever then that can be tracked to exact location. Making it easy for stalkers or sexual predators to find your children. That is the only problem I have with the GPS location tracker.

Also the fingerprint thing. I know the government already has our fingerprints but I also dont like the idea of them tracking my every move. Even if its for security purposes. I would rather swipe to open or something. Thats just me.

But, all of the features seem really cool. Seems alot faster and sort of like having a computer in your hand.

Never bought into the iPhone hype. More of a Samsung Galaxy kind of guy....but you never know that could change. Pros and cons I guess. My brother just got the 64 g one so im going to take a look at it before I decide.

The new Nokia phone has one of the coolest cameras on a phone that I have ever seen. The zoom and twist features are extrodinary! I believe Microsoft just bought out or at least merged Nokia too to make a better smart phone.

Right now I have Samsung.....but it freezes alot on me and I dont like that.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Everyone I know really likes it. The GPS location service is a little disturbing, especially if you post photos to facebook. I saw on the news a few weeks ago that if you post photos on facebook of your kids at a park or school or whatever then that can be tracked to exact location. Making it easy for stalkers or sexual predators to find your children. That is the only problem I have with the GPS location tracker.

Also the fingerprint thing. I know the government already has our fingerprints but I also dont like the idea of them tracking my every move. Even if its for security purposes. I would rather swipe to open or something. Thats just me.

But, all of the features seem really cool. Seems alot faster and sort of like having a computer in your hand.

Never bought into the iPhone hype. More of a Samsung Galaxy kind of guy....but you never know that could change. Pros and cons I guess. My brother just got the 64 g one so im going to take a look at it before I decide.

The new Nokia phone has one of the coolest cameras on a phone that I have ever seen. The zoom and twist features are extrodinary! I believe Microsoft just bought out or at least merged Nokia too to make a better smart phone.

Right now I have Samsung.....but it freezes alot on me and I dont like that.
    I own both Apple and Windows computers (for hobbies and work) but I've only ever owned iPhones. I tried out a Droid as a work phone and I couldn't stand the UI compared to the iPhone. Some of the other phones out there are pretty neat, I just stick with what I like.

EDIT: One thing I DON'T do is run out and buy each new version. I purposely wait for the major release (such as the iPhone 5 instead of the 4S) and get that 6 months after when all the bugs are worked out. Those that are addicted to Apple make those of us who use it look bad. Kind of like alcoholics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This thread is pretty old, thought i would make a small review on a phone i just bought and didn't feel like starting a new cell phone thread.

Nokia Lumia 928 Windows Phone 8

Attachment 3495

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Very fluid, I love the live tiles, if I have a choice I get an app that updates the live tiles incase I want it on my start screen.

Works great as mobile hotspot. I don't have unlimited data anymore so i won't often use this feature but it is nice to have for my wifi only tablet to connect to it when on the road.

Not a ton of apps in the marketplace but so far I have found an app for everything I need. I don't need 1000 different ways to produce a fart noise anyway, I come with one of those built in.

Has MS Office.

Nice that I have been able to uninstall any app that it came preloaded with. This was not the case with a droid I had a few years ago(Droid X).

Battery drains fairly fast when using, I am sure all the live tiles contributes to this.

Standby the battery lasts a long time.

It goes into standby pretty fast, if you get a notification it will take you to your lock screen...but then within a few seconds it will go back to standby. If you have missed the notification there is no LED or anything else to let you know anything came through unless you take it out of standby.

There is a "Glance" screen which is the standby screen. It displays the clock that is very dimly lit to save battery and moves around the screen to avoid burn. This screen would be really nice to have notification icons on...currently does not...rumor is it may soon.

The start screen does not go into landscape mode when you flip it. I am ok with this but it would be nice if it did flip.

Most apps will flip to landscape when using it as such but a few of the MS specific apps will not go to landscape, stay in portrait. Examples are Skype and XBox Music.

Very nice camera on it. Has both a LED flash and for low light has a Xenon flash as well. To save data on it I had to set it so it would only update photos/videos to skydrive(cloud) if on a wifi connection. This is not set by default.

Also for data, keep an eye on XBox Music. I had music downloaded but the first day i used it I was listening to the music on my 5 minute drive to work and it streamed the music instead of using the downloaded version.

That is all for now, have had it about a week now, will let you know if anything crappy pops up.
    As an update to this review, one of the things that had bugged me was the incomplete glance screen.

With the latest update that rolled out to AT&T a couple weeks ago and I was able to update via Verizon today, the glance screen has been much improved.

You can now see notifications of emails, calls, etc, along with the clock.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information