Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All hockey, questions, advice, new to the game. Start here!

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Is Sidney Crosby as good as the hype around him? Same question for Ovechkin, I think I butchered his name, haha.

IMO it is for Sid. But a lot don't think so. Regardless the guy is still super sick nasty.

I love ovi but he is a bit selfish and somewhat lazy. He needs to be in a proper system to be most effective, one that will let him do his thing, not fit into the model that they want him to be.
    Best way I can explain it is like when the avs had teemu salesmen with kariya. And we scratched salon e for several games. Not because he was bad because he is still a great. Bt because he didnt fit our stupid system at the time.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    So I hate to sound like an idiot but how do you bake them? Just stick it in the oven?

Nooooo. And you don't sound dumb, that's why we have this thread. When you bought your skates, whoever you bought them from should have baked them for you for free. Are they new skates? Or just new skates to you but used before?

The term baking is when you are in most any hockey store, players bench, breakaway sports, etc. You put you new skates on, lace me up nice and tight, and then they put your feet, with skates on, in a mini oven. Think like a microwave looking thing with holes for your feet instead of a door. Then it slowly heats while you sit very still with your feet, and the boot gets compressed and molded to your foot. Takes about 15-30 min and you just hang out. Once done, the cushioning inside should have a nice form fit to the contour of your feet.

If you have used skates I am not sure if you can bake them again if they have already. If not and they are new get them baked. Be sure you don't skate on them for at least 1 hour after they get baked. You need the glues to cool again so as not to mess up your skates. And if they are new skates go to where you bought them and ask if they will do it for you for free, since you bought new skates. If not you can probably expect to pay around $20-30 to bake them. If that's too rich for your blood, use the water trick I taught you. Not quite as effective but if you do it a couple times it should work great.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

This brings ups a couple other things that you might want to know. The cut of your skate or sharpening radius. I like a lot of bite so I can hold my edges at top speed and cut on a dime. But it makes you slower and is harder to stop especially for newer skaters. I will do nothing less than 7/16ths cut. For a newer skater I would recommend a 5/8ths radius or less. You will have plenty of bite on your edges but the edges won't be nearly as tall thus making it easier for you to stop on your edges, glide faster, and the cut will last longer.

This also brings up the holder or tuuk.

Here is a link to a great website http://www.hockeymonkey.com/components.html

Most local stores will match their prices so I go local but when not, this place rocks. There are traditionally two different main kinds of carriers. The standard Easton/Bauer and the other one more commonly found on ccm skates.

The white plastic thing that holds your blade. One model at the toe side has something like 3 pillars in the shape of a triangle with space in between, the other is enclosed with no space and should be in the link shown. Those will also affect your skating. The 3 pillars one will let you glide easier and skate faster, maneuverability though is slightly lessened. More of the blade is on the ice.

Me personally, I am more concerned with being Able to cut and go and make sharp turns so I, for my skating style am not a fan of the 3 pillars style. Whatever the hell they are called. Lots of people like them and lots don't. Some don't even notice or know there is a difference. But it's something to be aware of as you are learning and getting going. There is a little more foot support with that style so you might like that better being a big guy.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Default All hockey, questions, advice, new to the game. Start here!

My skates are new so I'll have to call scheels in Bismarck and check if the do that. Scheels sharpened them when I bought them but I had no clue about different ways they could do it.

Lots of good information though, I really appreciate it. I'm in Utah now so when I get back to North Dakota I'm going to look into a lot of the things you talked about. I still have to learn to skate a lot better though.
    Free Hotcarl!

5. The Following User High Fived Pudge For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

do all hockey players carry a sleeping bag, whisky and lube stashed somewhere in their car for emergencies, or is that just you?

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

I didn't know buff played hockey. Is that how he got that gap?

I ice skated for the first time since I can remember last thursday. I was on a ski trip and thursday wasn't the best day for the slopes. so our cabin went ice skating. I was pretty bad, but was getting the hang of it after a while. There were a couple of Russian women in our cabin that tried to henpeck me as I struggled. it really pissed me off and I would have none of it.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    do all hockey players carry a sleeping bag, whisky and lube stashed somewhere in their car for emergencies, or is that just you?

Ugh, i have no idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

My skates are new so I'll have to call scheels in Bismarck and check if the do that. Scheels sharpened them when I bought them but I had no clue about different ways they could do it.

Lots of good information though, I really appreciate it. I'm in Utah now so when I get back to North Dakota I'm going to look into a lot of the things you talked about. I still have to learn to skate a lot better though.

Yeah brother get those things baked. It will feel so much better for you and really contour to your foot.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    This also brings up the holder or tuuk.
    It's called a chassis, and Tuuk is just a brand.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yeah brother get those things baked. It will feel so much better for you and really contour to your foot.
    OR, he could buy a pair of Grafs and never worry about anything ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    OR, he could buy a pair of Grafs and never worry about anything ever again.

Dude, I still have my grafs from Senior year highschool. The boots are heavy as hell, but damn if those arent the most comfortable skates Ive ever had. Still in great condition too.

And yes, thats why I put it there so he would know what I was talking about. Carrier is also another name used around here.

Whats the name for the model with the 3 pillars in the triangle shape? For the life of me I can not think of it.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Dude, I still have my grafs from Senior year highschool. The boots are heavy as hell, but damn if those arent the most comfortable skates Ive ever had. Still in great condition too.

And yes, thats why I put it there so he would know what I was talking about. Carrier is also another name used around here.

Whats the name for the model with the 3 pillars in the triangle shape? For the life of me I can not think of it.
    Cobra. That's what most Graf skates have on 'em.

I still have my Grafs from 2001. They're just regular old 705s. I went six years without skating from 2004 to 2010 and when I put them on again in 2010 it was just like they used to feel. No change. I'm probably gonna be getting rid of my gear here before long. I probably won't play hockey again.

Default All hockey, questions, advice, new to the game. Start here!

I have a wood stick, what's so great about the composites. I know they are about $60 more than the wood
    Free Hotcarl!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Cobra. That's what most Graf skates have on 'em.

I still have my Grafs from 2001. They're just regular old 705s. I went six years without skating from 2004 to 2010 and when I put them on again in 2010 it was just like they used to feel. No change. I'm probably gonna be getting rid of my gear here before long. I probably won't play hockey again.

Sorry to hear that man.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

I have a wood stick, what's so great about the composites. I know they are about $60 more than the wood
    They are a lot more than that. The wood sticks are nice because they are easy to flex , but the break easier. Much easier. They are also a lot heavier.

The one piece sticks are much lighter, which gives you a better feel for the puck and a better shot. They are also more accurate and soooooooooooooooo much stronger. Being new to the sport you likely wouldn't notice much of a difference but you would in weight and durability. If you paid around $60-$80 for a one piece stick it would probably last you for years. The wood would probably last a season, maybe two. (If you were to play in a league, beginners or anything). Sticks get beat up a lot.

Also the one piece sticks can come in a "grip" shaft. Which allows you a better grip with your lower hand. This makes a big difference. Some sticks have duel flex points in them and all kinds of crazy cool features. They really put a lot of science into these.

I would recommend a one piece composite stick but for anyone new to the sport I'd say just get something in the $60 range that you like. You won't need anything more than that and likely wouldn't notice the difference or upgrades until you have refined your skills. An older one piece will give you the durability you need and also be light which will help with stick handling.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information