Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New forum

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    While I will admit that I am in my element mixing it up in nonsensical debates, I fear we are in for a LONG road with the severely defined factions on the board.
    This is my problem. The faction lines have been drawn. There is some serious vitriol for McDaniels, which makes those who want to be positive lump all dissenters in with the pure haters and the discussion turns absolutely acidic.

It's become extremely polarized. And the more people are gloom and doom, the brighter the positive posters get to combat it, which pisses off those with a less-sunny outlook on the season, and the battle flares up again.

If this keeps up, I could see a reason for a Rosy glasses forum. I just worry that that's gonna cede the Broncos Discussion forum to the black-mooders, and since I envision a tough season you'll get a positive and negative set of forums by default then.

If that works, then hey, why not.

We're in for an interesting couple of seasons as fans, I can see. Better batten down the hatches however we have to so we can all make it through this together and intact, and still able to share our love for our team.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    This is my problem. The faction lines have been drawn. There is some serious vitriol for McDaniels, which makes those who want to be positive lump all dissenters in with the pure haters and the discussion turns absolutely acidic.

It's become extremely polarized. And the more people are gloom and doom, the brighter the positive posters get to combat it, which pisses off those with a less-sunny outlook on the season, and the battle flares up again.

If this keeps up, I could see a reason for a Rosy glasses forum. I just worry that that's gonna cede the Broncos Discussion forum to the black-mooders, and since I envision a tough season you'll get a positive and negative set of forums by default then.

We're in for an interesting couple of seasons as fans, I can see. Better batten down the hatches however we have to so we can all make it through this together and intact, and still able to share our love for our team.

~G
    I have been called an idiot, doom and gloomers because I posted earlier in the year thinking we would have a 5-11 season that we were rebuilding..

now that the reality of the CHANGES this team is going to have to go through is setting in I'm feeling pretty damned happy about the direction we are now going.. and those that feel it is in the toilet I believe are totally wrong.. those Like Warhorse that are still hoping for 16-0 may need to rethink their predictions..

There is lite at the end of a dark tunnel..it is getting brighter with each passing week..

Quote Originally Posted by BigSarge87 View Post
    I 100% support (although not financially, yet) a new forum for positive posts.

I do enjoy reading multiple opinions, and I completely understand how a LOT of people are upset with how things are going this year, but when I come on this website after a long day at work, or prior to a game, I want to get excited no matter how dim things look.

THIS WEBSITE IS MY TAILGATE PARTY, BABY!!!

I want to get stoked for the games. I want to get stoked for the players who are working their asses off to give me what I want. I want to read the opinions of other Bronco Fans who also want to get excited to support this team. I want to support the Orange and Blue no matter what they are going through.

I DO NOT WANT to read or try to sift through the posts that are obiously intended to piss off those who are trying to be optimistic.

It's my opinion that a very high number of threads are being absolutley ruined by these pessimistic trolls that never seem to run out of ways to turn a thread negative and often completely away from what the thread was intended to discuss in the first place.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

GO BRONCOS!!
    POST of the thread needs repeating..

I'm not a fan of the bickering going back and forth, and as G pointed out, it escalates as one side one ups the other.

We have the shanny bashers saying "I told you so", even though to date there is nothing to back it up (not a single regular season win or loss has occurred).

We have the McDaniel bashers talking about how he has ruined the franchise, even though there is nothing to back it up (see above not about wins/losses).

I understand the desire for an orange colored glasses type forum, and it is easy enough to create a new forum, but part of me hates to do it. One the one hand, there will be a 'clean' game day thread, but it will also divide the posters so that there will be less discussion in each.

In the orange/rosey game day thread, if a pass is dropped, does "man, I can't believe Royal dropped another pass" count as negative? What if 'another' is removed and it is just "I can't believe royal dropped that pass". Where is the line drawn.

What about on articles that are posted. Do we post one in the rosey forum and another in the Broncos Talk forum, so both groups can participate?

I'm ok, whichever way we go. For me, the mechanics of setting up a forum are very simple, it only takes a couple minutes. While I fully understand the desire for it, I hate that it comes to this.

6. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post

~G
    I've got no problem with decenters, I've got a problem with personal attackers and hyjackers. I myself disagree with Bowlen not following conventional wisdom hiring a OC as the new HC when our offense was not the problem last year, it was the defense. I believe that the Cutler fiasco was a direct consequence that decision.

McD tried to fix something that was not broke and now it is. He tried to get Cassell from the Patriots and it fell through. On one hand, it was a mistake for him to even try. On the other hand, he needed players that fit his system and he felt the Cutler wasn't it. It still goes back to Bowlen going against conventional wisdom by hiring McD in the first place.

Cutler took it personal and acted in a manner detrimental to the team. The Broncos had to deal with him accordingly. When he was traded to Chicogo, Marshall got upset over loosing both his HC and QB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is when he really started to make a stink over his contract. He may have wanted one before, but now he's pushing it with the intent of using it to get out of Denver. The Broncos have to deal with him accordingly as well.

A robot charater, Vincent, from the 1979 movie, "The Blackhole," would give us Broncos fans sound advice. "You can't unscramble eggs." Right now, McD is trying to make an omlet out of all of these eggs that he and Bowlen have mannaged to scramble. We need to give him a fair chance to do so.

So I'm just as willing to point out my decent with many of McD's decisions. However, I can do it without calling him a "$*@&" and a "****". I can disagree with someone without telling them that they are a "%*&$" or a "****".

As far as the hyjacking of threads, let me give some other examples from the week following the trade. After everybody had aired out their oppions the 1st 3 or 4 times, they stopped being informative and started being laborious. So, I tried to start a number of threads about anything other then Cutler only to have the McD haters hyjack some of these threads and bring up Cutler in topics that he was not relavent in. The ones that they couldn't hyjack simple got ignored. This was not about me have Bronco colored glasses. It was about enough is enough already. You've already made the same point 1,000 time already. Now, can we move on to a different subject.

This beings me back to the main point or my previous posting in this thread. Respect for other. Have respect for others by not calling them a "%#^$" or a "****". Have respect the rights of those who want to talk about something differant by not hyjacking their threads.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I'm of two minds.

On the one hand, I feel like we should wait on a new forum for at least a couple of weeks. Next week is the last of the preseason, and starters aren't gonna play much, if at all. We've had enough starter injuries already. So nothing will be different after next game than it is right now.

And the week after gets us to the regular season and actual results. All off-season has been opinion hardened into "Fact" when there ARE no facts, just speculation. At least after the first week we can say, "The DL kicked ASS!" or "Damn, we still suck at special teams" or whatever.

And maybe we can get back to having only a couple of posters who are never, ever happy with what's going on - or conversely, ALWAYS happy no matter how badly our teeth are being kicked in.

And the rest of us can meet somewhere in the middle.

OTOH, I think it's gonna be a Jay/Jake situation where lines have been drawn and no amount of data is going to prove the choice to either side - minds were made up 5 seconds after the decision was made.

So for many people there will be no coming together in the middle. We were able to weather it with Jake, but it took a long time, and in some cases new boards, to make that happen.

Rather than losing posters because we're coming down on the "screw McDaniels" or "get on board with McDaniels" side of the argument and forcing the board to conform for sanity's sake, it may just be easier to have the positive board as a safe haven for those who feel they're being trolled by those still angry about anything Josh-related. And in turn that might allow

But where does that leave us when Josh goes neither 14-2 nor 2-14? When we want to come back to the middle?

Do we need two new boards made? The Rosy board and the Venting board? So that mid-season, when we've come to the conclusion that we're neither the Titanic-level disaster that was feared nor the quick-learning juggernaut that was hoped we can still have a place to talk to an opposing viewpoint in a rational way on a forum that hasn't been "claimed" by either side?

That would probably be the solution I'd recommend. If you decide to make a positive forum so there are game threads that aren't bile-filled and threads that don't devolve into Josh hatred, you can't just leave the general board to "the rest." It'll mean you can never get the General Broncos forum back even if things calm down somewhat.

The problem with two new boards? It's gonna split us up, fracture us and fraction us even more. Posting across 3 boards just to talk broncos football seems stupid and unnecessary at first blush...

Only right now we're barely able to coherently talk about it in ONE.

So I'd make two boards. So that General can stay reasonably neutral with only trolling posts/threads either provoking for or against Josh moved to either board, and so we can make positive/negative gameday threads that don't trainwreck into each other, and have "I like X" or "I hate Y" discussions without the 2nd or 3rd post being a "you're an idiot/traitor for feeling this way" gauntlet tossed into the teeth of the discussion.

The posters deserve to be able to talk to each other, positively or negatively, rationally or emotionally, without losing that convo in noise all the time.

The mods deserve to have a real life and not have to wrestle with the high emotions game-day is gonna bring in EVERY thread, EVERY day. I think they'd like to WATCH the game, and not just the board when we start to act like children.

And I kinda think the Broncos deserve our attention, instead of our arguments about the future of the Broncos drowning out what's actually happening on the field and our appreciation of (or disgust for) it.

I'd like to talk about the Broncos again.

Not Cutler, not Josh. The Broncos.

If I hate what's happening on the field, I want to be able to say it without being called a whining Shanny baby traitor.

If I love something I see, I want to be able to say it without being called a McDaniels ass-kissing self-fornicator.

Two forums.

I may need both for every game. I EXPECT to need both for every game. We haven't had an off-season like this since we fired Reeves, and there was no Broncos forum, or even a non-hourly-rate internet at that point.

We've never had this problem, so we probably need to get creative about a solution, and then be patient.

Passion, I'm down with. Hating our fellow posters because they're not on our side of the aisle? I'm less fine with that.

So giving us corners to go to for refuge to either approve or disapprove with the vehemence and passion our fanhood dictates and still be able to come together afterward is probably a wise thing.

One view.

~G
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

This beings me back to the main point or my previous posting in this thread. Respect for other. Have respect for others by not calling them a "%#^$" or a "****". Have respect the rights of those who want to talk about something differant by not hyjacking their threads.
    You can't legislate respect, AZ. Civility perhaps, but not respect, and so those without respect will push the bounds of civility.

How many times do you warn someone? What's borderline? Is derailing threads now unacceptable? We've never had an on-topic mod, though I know other boards that do.

We don't have neg-rep, which on other boards prevents posters from posting in football forums for a while if they suck enough to rack up those points - but then people tend to abuse that too.

I don't want to lose posters. The more voices that can be allowed to be heard, the better and more vibrant the board.

But right now nobody's being heard, and nothing's being said. That's okay for the offseason, but the real season's almost upon us, and in the off-season we've forgotten our respect.

Maybe by moving the far sides of the spectrum each to their own forum maybe we can find that respect in the middle again on the main forum.

Maybe all we have now are far-siders, and there is no middle any longer.

But I'd like to find out if we can re-capture some of what we had, which was posters who could disagree with each other and yet respect their opponent's right to hold a dissenting POV.

And I think that starts by making at least one board where reason and courtesy has to hold sway, and providing outlets for the rampant unreasoning that's been going on, and that will continue to go on.

But only the mods and other members can say if they think that'll actually help the situation, or just polarize it so much that the "reasoned" board goes by the wayside and all we have are the Pollyannas and the Haters.

I'd hope we're not to that point.

~G
    -- James Dean

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread... just snippets... but enough to see that the 'Orange Colored glasses' forum is getting some serious consideration.

For the record, I thought it was a great idea when it was implemented on Mania (Before I was a mod). I think it fit the time and filled a need, and caused people to calm down a bit.

In the end... that forum is seldom actually used to its real purpose. It was a novelty for a while, and like I said... may have filled a need at the time... salve on a wound.

I don't know how long the activity was decent there... but in the end it became next to nothing. Most posters want to have open discussions... as much as they get frustrated. Just my opinion.

As for a comment or two I saw about members becoming polarized... I can't remember the last time there wasn't frictions and factions among forum posters.

$.02
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I don't know that its neccessary to have a negative forum because I don't think anyone needing relief from a "look on the bright side" perspective. However, everybody need occational relief from "the world is coming to an end".
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

How about we just have a negative forum and then an orange glasses forum. Sort of like the other site.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information