Thread: Orton gets game in order

Default Orton gets game in order

by Brad Biggs, The Chicago Sun-Times , Chicago Sun Times

So much for a quarterback dilemma sprouting up in the Rocky Mountains.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels did everything he could to ensure it wouldn't happen and then Kyle Orton went out Saturday night in Seattle and played as well as league observers have seen him in a critical preseason outing for the ex-Bear.
    Orton looked bad the week before when he threw three interceptions at San Francisco. To remove doubt, McDaniels strongly backed Orton. He went out and shined against the Seahawks, completing 18 of 26 passes for 182 yards, a touchdown and one wacky left-handed interception in the end zone. That was without wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who didn't make the trip.

''I've got a lot of confidence right now,'' Orton said after the game. ''I really do. This is the best offense that I've played with. I've got the best talent around me that I've ever had.''

That's one for the Bears to digest as they prepare for the third preseason game Sunday at Denver, a game that will be featured on NBC's ''Sunday Night Football.'' Remembering the overreaction from a week ago, Jay Cutler didn't want to get too excited after the Bears' 17-3 victory against the New York Giants on Saturday night, but the Bears' offense hasn't looked like this. Lovie Smith talked about a big improvement from Week 1 to Week 2 in preseason, and it was evident the Bears put time into preparing for the Giants. They geared the action to what Cutler does well and gave him the freedom to be the kind of player he was with the Broncos. The veteran Bears can say this is the best offense they have been a part of.

Cutler, who directed three scoring drives in as many series, looked at his best on the move, throwing accurately and with velocity, and of all the things Orton did well as a Bear, that wasn't one of them.

''That's huge,'' offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. ''We can call designed movement things and move the pocket with him. But a lot of it he does on his own, he creates things. If the coverage isn't exactly what we want or if the protection breaks down, he can create a play, which if you look at his film he's done his whole career, and he did that some.''

Cutler did his best to downplay his return Saturday, and he told the Denver Post last week that McDaniels ''is an offensive mind.'' The conclusion made was that Cutler has matured since the trade nearly five months ago.

''I learned something,'' Cutler told the Post. ''Things will work out for both of us.''

Orton said he is looking forward to seeing his former teammates. He was well-liked in the locker room, and Cutler is making friends fast. Both are being counted on to do something their predecessor could not manage. Therein lies the trick. The Bears want a quarterback to guide them back to the Super Bowl. Denver wants a quarterback to get them to the playoffs. Like it or not, they will be inextricably linked.

''I don't pay attention to that,'' Orton said. ''I don't play to be compared to anybody else. I understand when somebody is traded like that there's always going to be comparisons but I play to win. And that's really the only comparison that matters.''

NEXT PRESEASON GAME at BRONOCS

7 p.m. Sunday, Ch. 5, 780-AM.

COUNTDOWN

20 days until the regular-season opener at Green Bay Packers, 7:20 p.m. Sept. 13, Ch. 5, 780-AM.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...-game-in-order

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Orton
    ''I've got a lot of confidence right now,'' Orton said after the game. ''I really do. This is the best offense that I've played with. I've got the best talent around me that I've ever had.''
    Right the **** on!

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I hope Orton tears it up and cutler gets torn up and knocked down.

That is all.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I hope Orton tears it up and cutler gets torn up and knocked down.

That is all.
    Me too. My neighbor is renting out his house while he is away and I've been taking care of his lawn without him asking (his tenant sucks). He took note of it and gave me two tickets to the game this sunday night! He has two sets one about 6 rows from the Broncos bench and some about 12 rows up. I have the ones 6 rows back because its harder to see from there (when the players are standing its damn near impossible) and he prefers the higher up seats. Hopefully I'll get a good picture of Cutler getting blindsided by a corner blitz!

The only thing better would be a pick six by Champ.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information