Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Theater Shooter Found Guilty Of First-Degree Murder

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Theater Shooter Found Guilty Of First-Degree Murder

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (CBS4)– Gunman James Holmes was convicted Thursday in the Aurora theater shooting that left 12 people dead and dozens more injured, putting the death penalty option at the center of the courtroom.

The jury delivered their verdict quickly on only the second day of deliberations.They rejected Holmes’ insanity defense and found him guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of 12 people. Dozens of others were also injured in the shooting nearly three years ago.

Holmes, 27, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. He stood with his defense attorneys as it took Judge Carlos A. Samour an hour to read the verdict.
    rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/07/1...-found-guilty/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Good. He's a piece of human excrement.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Did he get capital punishment?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Did he get capital punishment?
    Sentencing hasn't happened yet. Being that it was first degree murder (among other things) he is eligible for the death penalty.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Sentencing hasn't happened yet. Being that it was first degree murder (among other things) he is eligible for the death penalty.
    He should get capital punishment to be executed in the next 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He should get capital punishment to be executed in the next 12 months.
    That was a deadly play on words.

Adopted Bronco:

Default Once a Supporter, Colorado Governor Explains Opposition to Death Penalty

In a recent interview, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper stated his opposition to the death penalty, citing the views of murder victims' family members and the high cost of implementing capital punishment. Hickenlooper said he had supported the death penalty until he learned more about it. “My whole life I was in favor of the death penalty," he said, "But then you get all this information: it costs 10 times, maybe 15 times more money to execute someone than to put someone in prison for life without parole. There’s no deterrence to having capital punishment. And I don’t know about you, but when I get new facts, I’ll change my opinion. I didn’t know all of this stuff." In 2013, he granted an indefinite reprieve to death row inmate Nathan Dunlap, saying, “If the State of Colorado is going to undertake the responsibility of executing a human being, the system must operate flawlessly. Colorado’s system for capital punishment is not flawless.” Because of the general basis for Hickenlooper's grant of a stay, it would appear to put a hold on all executions while he is governor.
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/5863

After the verdict was read yesterday, it was reported that family members of the deceased were ask what what they wanted, and they stated the death penalty. I can NOT see, nor do I agree with a Governor having the RIGHT to do whatever he pleases, regardless if it was determined that a person should receive capital punishment.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Someone explain to me why it costs 10-15 times more to execute someone than it does to lock them up for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Someone explain to me why it costs 10-15 times more to execute someone than it does to lock them up for life.
    Apparently court costs because of so many appeals, I guess. Death row inmates cost more. Using common sense, it's hard to fathom, but tests have been done and the numbers are there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    It's based on the length of time in court - death penalty cases have more hoops to jump through. Sort of a disingenuous figure, since it's not based on the incarceration itself.

13. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

IMO, I think it is TOTALLY wrong of Hickenlooper to even bring up what it costs to put someone to death. Holmes killed 12 innocent people, he injured many, some permanently disabled. Families lost their sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, mothers, and one child was killed, who's mother was injured, causing her to lose her unborn baby. The argument to what it costs for capital punishment should not even be brought up. It leaves the appearance that it is more important to save the state money, rather than the importance of the 12 lives he took, and all of the lives that Holmes affected by doing what he did.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    IMO, I think it is TOTALLY wrong of Hickenlooper to even bring up what it costs to put someone to death. Holmes killed 12 innocent people, he injured many, some permanently disabled. Families lost their sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, mothers, and one child was killed, who's mother was injured, causing her to lose her unborn baby. The argument to what it costs for capital punishment should not even be brought up. It leaves the appearance that it is more important to save the state money, rather than the importance of the 12 lives he took, and all of the lives that Holmes affected by doing what he did.
    Could then go to the argument of "belief" as to whether or not you feel the death penalty is a moral choice to make to start with. Then there is the religion aspect of the argument/discussion.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Just a note, it looks like he said this last year. He isn't specifically talking about Holmes.

We need more God in our country. Like "Thou shalt not kill" and the practice of "Forgiveness". If we can't forgive people and if we keep killing people simply because the court "justifies" it then God will continue to send hurricanes and earthquakes upon us. There is only one Judge.

#Merica #makethisafacebookthingtoshare

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Could then go to the argument of "belief" as to whether or not you feel the death penalty is a moral choice to make to start with. Then there is the religion aspect of the argument/discussion.
    Separation of church and state. Religion should not have any bearing on what punishment is handed down for criminal acts.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information