Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Mixed Martial Arts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Everything Mixed Martial Arts

So I've been taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu now for a few months and I really have enjoyed it. At first it was pretty intense but now I'm getting used to the technics and pace of the class. They pushed me so hard that I almost threw up a few times and my brother actually did throw up. I train at out of Tracy, Ca at the Charles Gracie Academy. You can find out more by visiting www.charlesgracie.com . They also teach Kenpo, which is what Chuck Liddel practices and boxing on Thursday nights. I also attend MMA classes when I can but have concentrated more on BJJ and learning the submissions.

I also took Tae Kwon Do years ago but It doesnt even compare to this. 80% of fights end up on the ground at one point and if you can learn how to control a fight from the ground then you will have a major advantage.

Are there any Mixed Martial Arts fans here and what have you taken in the past or still taking? Any training tips will also be helpfull.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

2. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

SR

Also who are some of your favorite fighters? I must say that Machida is incredible! He takes no damage and rarely gets hit! I would love to see him fight Anderson Silva....this would be a dream fight!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It's a real possibility that Machida and Anderson Silva will fight since Silva is making the move to 205.

I've been in to MMA for probably about 10 years. I did Judo and Muay Thai all through high school and still dabble here and there with my buddies at a place in Abilene, TX called LA Boxing.

I'm big in to the UFC though. Can't wait for Saturday night! Couture vs Nogiera is going to be a good fight. I'm also looking forward to seeing Krzysztof Soszynski from TUF fight again.

Oh, and my favorite fighter is BJ Penn. Fighters I also really enjoy watching are Nick and Nate Diaz, especially Nick because his Judo throws are beautiful, and Nate Quarry. Nate Quarry's boxing skills are amazing. That dude is fun as hell to watch especially when he just starts throwing jabs and tearing people up. He's fighting on the Fight Night Live coming up on Sept 16th, just a couple days before UFC 103 in Dallas.
    Last edited by SR; 08-23-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

5. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Nick and Nates gym isnt far from me. I almost joined theirs instead but really wanted to concentrate on pure Jiu Jitsu which is why I joined the Gracie Academy. There a bit too cocky for my liking though. LA Boxing is also in San Diego and a few of my friends train there too. Ive heard some good things about it but dont know much else.

Silva has stated that he wont fight Machida because they are friends. If I were Dana White I would make this happen regardless of friendships. Business first then friends later. Personally it sounds like he is trying to duck Machida.

Also, just saw on youtube that Machida drinks urine for protien and hormones. Crazy!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

If the money is right, Silva and/or Machida will do anything. If the UFC can afford to make the offer to Fedor that they did, they can make the Silva/Machida fight happen. I'd like to see an Anderson Silva/Rampage fight too.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Is Silva looking to move to 205?

I have really started to get into MMA as I produce a talk show on Saturdays all about MMA and boxing. Get alot of guys on and for the quick senconds I get to talk to them before interviews all of them are great guys that are there for the fans and love to fight!

Being in Albuquerque there is defenetly a big MMA force out here. Looking forward to Diego getting a shot at Penn, no contract yet but it is pretty much set that Diego will get a shot at the title in I think Philly.

Posted by Jake Rossen/Sherdog.com

You're the best "pound for pound" fighter in the world, whatever that means. You make excellent fighters look like skipping schoolgirls. And you're getting bored.

If this description sounds familiar, you might well be Anderson Silva, famed sculptor of noses. And if you are, manager Ed Soares and the UFC have got a deal for you: According to SI.com's Josh Gross, manager and promotion have been conspiring to get Silva primed for the heavyweight division, with an eye toward Frank Mir as a possible first opponent.

If you read the latest issue of Real Fighter, you surely noted that author David Samuels' excellent cover piece on Silva included a glimpse of his Friday prefight meal. Not to be a spoiler, but both McDonald's and Mars, Inc., are involved. The guy clearly likes to eat. Whether that translates into success in a division full of men who spill over the 265-pound weight limit is open to deliberation.

Taking on smaller heavies like Randy Couture or division-straddling Brandon Vera? Yeah, I could see it. Getting out from underneath Brock Lesnar as he suffocates his prey with one giant pectoral muscle? Not quite as compelling.

This is all vaporware at the moment. I would expect plans to change significantly if Mauricio "Shogun" Rua happens to defeat Silva's friend Lyoto Machida on Oct. 24. Greatness in one division doesn't necessarily trump the absence of 20 to 50 pounds of mass. Just ask B.J. Penn about that one.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 08-23-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I don't think Diego stands a chance against Penn. Diego is a psycho, but his Jiu Jitsu is nowhere near being able to hang with BJ. BJ can stand and brawl too, like no one's business.

After the fight with Forrest, Silva said he'd consider moving up to 205 and just handing his middleweight belt off to someone in that weight class. Personally, what ever weight class Silva fights in, he will dominate.

There are also rumors that UFC will be adding a weight class from 205-235 then having super heavyweight from 235-265. That's the only way lighter heavyweight fighters will ever be able to contend for a belt in the heavyweight division as long as Brock Lesnar is around. Fedor signed with Strikeforce, so hopes of him coming to the UFC and taking out Lesnar are gone.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

So how bout Shogun getting robbed last night? I really thought he won that fight but the judges thought differently, Rau used his legs perfectly, landing body shots on Machida, and getting a few hits combos in. Machida countered some but not to the exstent that Shogun did when pressured by Machida.

Not a bad card, Valasquez beat teh life out of Rothwell.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Shogun didn't get robbed. His counters didn't land. When Machida would come in and start throwing punches, Shogun would counter, but they weren't on target. Machida shouldn't have won 4/5 rounds, but he definitely should have won the fight.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Shogun's corner I read did not do him any favors, they kept telling him he was up so he did not push the fight. Taking a step back yes I can see how close it was but Machida did not even think he was going to win. Alot of keeping distance and leg strikes, Shogun would try the take down when Machida went after but good defense. Machida landed a few knees but I did not see anything that slanted his way.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

MMA returns to CBS tonight. A card with legit fighters on it for a change. Strikeforce and M1 Global the presenters. Fedor vs Brett Rodgers, Jake Shields vs Jason "Mayhem" Miller (Middleweight title fight), Gegard Mousasi vs Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, stand out on the main card!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Gegard is a badass. I love watching that dude fight. Fedor is going to mop the floor with Rodgers. Shields and Mayhem will be a good fight considering they're close friends. Looking forward to watching it for sure.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Rogers had the power to stun Fedor a little but you can't leave any openings for what could teh the greatest fighter in the world, big right caught Brett and down it went.

Shields/Miller I give them props for going 25 mins, most of it was on the ground becasue that Shields game but man thats some stamina right there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Mayhem had his chance and he blew it. He showboated way too much and I was disappointed. He could have beat Shields. Gegard did not disappoint. That dude is for real. He trains with Fedor and you can see it when he fights. Very little facial expression, very relaxed, and a very, very opportunistic fighter.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

UFC 105 free on Spike TV tomorrow night as Pac-Man v Cotto is pay-per-view. I would like to watch both but most likely just going to have the UFC on.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information