Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Everything Mixed Martial Arts

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

I loathe heavyweights but was pulling 110% for Carwin.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    this is some funny stuff. I remember watching Dan Severn, Royce Gracie and my favorite; Don Frye when I was younger. **** traditions. What are you? Mr. Miyagi? It's people beating the shit out of eachother, and if you really want to get into history and tradition, it used to be you could **** up people worse when they had fewer rules. Sorry if I have disgraced the honor of the sacred art of legal assault and battery by enjoying watching a beast like Brock.
    You're a moron.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 View Post
    They need to break the heavyweight division up like they were talking about before. There needs to be a heavyweight division that goes from like 215-235 then a super heavyweight division that goes from 235-265...or something along those lines. A lot of talented fighters are making the move down to 205 because they know they won't ever beat guys like Lesnar and Carwin. Brandon Vera moved down to 205 and has kicked ass there. I read rumors on MMAjunkie.com that Frank Mir is going to be making the move to 205 (which is bad for everyone in that division because he will dominate), etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    You're a moron.
    Nice comeback.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

What a great story. The big lug almost dies of an intestinal disorder, then trains and comes back, almost gets beat in the 1st only to come back and get a submission in the second. He even thanked everyone that helped him after the fight. What a piece of shit. He is ruining UFC.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 View Post
    Why would you loathe a division? what, they can't land a thousand mosquito punches per round and win on a decision most of the time like in the smaller divisions? Are you jealous you don't have the size or power to sneeze and knock someone out? I am laughing my ass of at the heavyweight hate.
    I am well aware that the best competition lies in average weight divisions, and I appreciate the skill of these fighters too. But just to hate the guys because they are big and scare the other guys into other weight divisions? It's not their fault. I am fine with SeeingRed's idea about splitting up the heavyweights. But all the hate for Lesnar.... smacks of jealousy of big guys to me.
    Last edited by atwater27; 07-06-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Why would you loathe a division? what, they can't land a thousand mosquito punches per round and win on a most of the time like in the smaller divisions? Are you jealous you don't have the size or power to sneeze and knock someone out? I am laughing my ass of at the heavyweight hate.
    I am well aware that the best competition lies in average weight divisions, and I appreciate the skill of these fighters too. But just to hate the guys because they are big and scare the other guys into other weight divisions? It's not their fault. I am fine with SeeingRed's idea about splitting up the heavyweights. But all the hate for Lesnar.... smacks of jealousy of big guys to me.
    There is no jealousy and I think your interpretation of our dislike for the heavyweight division is all screwed up. To me, MMA isn't about power. It's finesse. Jiu Jitsu and Judo are not power games, they're finesse, strategy, and anticipation. I would MUCH rather watch a guy like Damian Maia or BJ Penn than guys like Lesnar or Carwin.

The heavyweight division goes from 225lbs to 265lbs. That's the biggest range of any weight division. The difference in size from 6'3"/225lbs to 6'3"/265lbs is disgustingly drastic and it's unfair for guys like Brandon Vera, Frank Mir, Keith Jardine, etc, who normally WALK AROUND and 225-230 but don't like cutting 20lbs for a fight and have no choice but to because there's no way they can keep up with guys like Lesnar and Carwin. Lesnar is a freak of nature. No one in the heavyweight division can hang with him. It's not Lesnar's fault that he's a freak, but that's how he effects the UFC. A lot of talent has left and will leave the heavyweight division because of him.

8. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Royce gracie was magnificent to watch. It is amazing how unique the guy was. There hasn't been anyone like him since.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

He was a pioneer. His whole family has pioneered the sport. He's a legend for sure. There are more talented guys around now, but when he was around he was the best.

11. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Sports need the bad guy, the talker, the person that drives talk shows, Brock Lesner. He sells PPV, drives interest, and brings people in.

Brock showed alot vs Carwin. The ability to take a beating, the ability to win by submission, and overcome a heck of an illness. No question Brock was humbled, when did we ever see Lesner pump fists like he did after round 1? Sure he will talk but thats who he is.

As for the heavyweight division Cain is next in line, SR put it right Lesner is just a freak and its going to take power shots to take him out. Carwin pounded his face but the fight was not stopped and Lesner took advantage.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

He was a pioneer. His whole family has pioneered the sport. He's a legend for sure. There are more talented guys around now, but when he was around he was the best.
    I still haven't seen anybody so incredibly good at...

1. fighing off of his back; he was so comfortable fighting from the ground that you'd think he was born fighting off his back.
    2. Being able to face (and beat) much bigger and stronger men by using his submission skills.

When Hughes beat him, Gracie was much older and was not used to fighting guys who were that freaking strong and quick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

I can't wait to watch the spider knock chael sonnens head off. Sonnen would have had a good career as a comedian if he didn't sign up to die

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Why not? Rich Franklin used to be a high school math teacher. Several others were in the military. A few of them went to Ivy League schools. There are plenty of intelligent, likable people in the UFC. Lesnar plays the role of a WWF heel and it pisses me off. I don't like him or his character and he is bad for MMA, period. Yeah, he's massive and as strong as a horse, but he's a douche bag.
    I disagree. He brings attention, and money to the sport. He sells tickets, sells PPV, and makes people pay attention. Brock doesn't play the role of a WWE heel. Brock has been made the heel simply because many people, especially those that have fought their whole lives to get half what he has achieved, look down on him for his "easy" path.

Brock Lesnar is a freak of nature. Should he be faulted for being a massive monster that can move as fast as guys our size?

Hell no he shouldn't. If you think the heavyweight division is in tatters, well, it is. There isn't a man in it right now that can beat Lesnar. If Carwin gets a rematch (which he should and will) he will lose again and most likely by absorbing a beating this time.

Brock Lesnar hadn't stepped into the ring in a year, managed to beat a life threatening illness in that time, came back and defended his title in a way that NOBODY saw coming.

His skills increase exponentially everytime we see him fight. If he keeps training the way he has been and working to be the best, like he has at every juncture throughout his life, he will be in the UFC hall of fame.

This warrior, and that's what he is, should not be chided for his ridiculous accomplishments, he should be revered for his work ethic and his tenacity.

There is not another man in the UFC that could have absorbed that punishment from Carwin and kept his head intact.

Ask Mir and the 11 others that couldn't make it out of the first round against Carwin.

If there's a problem with the UFC heavyweight class, it's the weight limits, not the massive beast standing atop.

17. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Word.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I still haven't seen anybody so incredibly good at...

1. fighing off of his back; he was so comfortable fighting from the ground that you'd think he was born fighting off his back.
    2. Being able to face (and beat) much bigger and stronger men by using his submission skills.

When Hughes beat him, Gracie was much older and was not used to fighting guys who were that freaking strong and quick.
    That's because people don't need to do any of that anymore. There are plenty of people that are amazing fighting on their back; Vinny Magalhaes, Damian Maia, and Ricardo Almeida to name a few...all black belts from Gracie schools.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information