Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Gamecocks Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default South Carolina Gamecocks Thread

I don't want to clutter up others threads or piss anyone off with my boring Garnet and Black homerism so this thread will be dedicated to all things Gamecocks. This thread will give me a chance to express and share my love for SC athletics with you, Broncos Nation. The greatest fan base in the world. Go Cocks!, and Go Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Don't know if anyone has been following this but it's a hot topic here on sports talk radio. Mostly because it's the off season and there's not much else to talk about. But still, this story has really gotten out of hand....

Jadeveon Clowney's mother expects him to play in 2013

The mother of South Carolina All-America defensive end and presumptive 2014 No. 1 overall NFL draft pick Jadeveon Clowney told SI.com Thursday that she expects her son to play his third season of eligibility, rather than sit out the year to avoid injury. "I talked to him this week, and he wants to play,'' said Josenna Clowney. "I don't think he has it in him to sit out. He loves to play football. I know I want him to play."

Clowney's future has been the subject of speculation since Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer wrote a column on Feb. 10 suggesting that Clowney should consider sitting out his junior year while training independently for the NFL draft. NFL rules prohibit players from entering the draft until three years after their graduation from high school. Clowney graduated from South Pointe High in Rock Hill, S.C., in 2011 and has played two seasons for the Gamecocks.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2Kv7gbGpR

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

How's the baseball team looking this year? I haven't followed college football or baseball as of late.....I'm slacking.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington
    Spending time watching Marcus Lattimore (@LattTwoOne) rehab at Athletes' Performance & Andrews' Institute. I'm sold.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina: I'm excited to study tape of Sanders. One general manager told me that he is a poor man's version of West Virginia's Tavon Austin. That GM didn't view Sanders as a first- or second-round pick; he should, however, be targeted by several teams in the middle rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft. His return ability is mentioned as an added bonus.

D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina: This is shaping up to be a solid class of safeties. (I'm very high on Texas' Kenny Vaccaro and love the aggressive nature of Florida's Matt Elam.) I asked two executives which safety was their favorite to watch, and both guys praised Swearinger. They described him as an explosive hitter with good instincts. He is viewed as a third-round pick at this point, but he is a strong candidate to rise up draft boards.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...rthy-prospects

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Gamecocks hidden Gem...

Good scouting report from a non Gamecock homer on WR/PR Ace Sanders. I'm a big fan of Sanders and it appears this Redskins fan has become a believer as well after watching film.

A little bit on Sanders first. Spurriers offense is a more ball controlled offense than say one compared to a pass happy offense like what West Virginia ran for example. A more balanced run/pass attack that emphasized Connor Shaws running ability where the rush attack was still a heavy part of the offensive game plan even after Lattimore went down a little past mid way through the season against Tennessee. Ace was never in danger of snagging 100+ receptions in this offense with Shaw under center so he didn't really get much of a chance to show what he can do with a lot of touches.... but he made the most of what he did get and led the team with 45 receptions for 531 yards but a team high 9 TDs. He was also 2nd in the country as a punt returner (28ret 429yds 2TDs) where he really shows his speed, cutting ability/lateral quickness, and elusivness. He's really a treat to watch and has a chance to sneak up a number of teams draft boards by draft day in April...

Ace Sanders

Height: 5'8

Weight: 175

40 time: (pending Combine)

Arm: (pending Combine)

Hand: (pending Combine)

Wingspan: (pending Combine)

Projected Draft Position: Late 2nd – Fourth

Coming as no surprise for a guy of his stature and gaudy return statistics, Sanders is a quick receiver with superb top-end speed and acceleration. He’s agile and fluid, making him a nightmare in the open-field or being one-on-one with a defender. Sanders is the kind of guy that could shake a linebacker in a phone booth. He has brisk and decisive cuts that make him a homerun threat as both a returner and playmaker after the catch.

Appearing to be a perfect fit as a slot receiver at the next level, Sanders will face some adversity due to his size. But that shouldn’t deter teams. His hands are very impressive on tape and he does a good job of catching away from his body and plucking the ball, despite his limited radius.

Playing larger than his frame suggests, Sanders isn’t an easy man to bring down. It all starts with trying to get a hand on him. And if you can, Sanders has deceiving strength and his low center of gravity in combination with his commitment and work ethic in the weight room doesn’t necessarily make him an easy tackle. He’s elusive in the smallest of spaces and he’ll embarrass you if you dare take a bad angle.
    Rest of the article.... http://www.betbigdc.com/ace-sanders-south-carolina/

Ace is a excellent receiver and a bit underrated at this point IMO. Which is understandable when comparing his numbers to some of the other top receivers in the upcoming draft. But i think he has the ability to really blow up the combine, put up some nice numbers, and get some scouts attention. If he goes to the right system in the NFL, a pass heavy offense with strong QB play, Sanders has the ability to make an impact as a slot receiver. I would love to see what he could do if he was getting the rock from Tom Brady, Drew Brees, or an Aaron Rodgers. He would be a blast to watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Al Wilson

Tennessee kicked their asses in BB the other night!
    30 year Bronco fan!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BeastFromEast92 View Post
    Tennessee kicked their asses in BB the other night!
    We're not a very good BB team. Haven't been for awhile. The Darrin Horn experiment set us back even more than we already were before he arrived. We're short on talent, and lacking in execution. I think we got the right man for the job to right the ship though. But it'll take time.

You keep up with any Vol baseball?

I see updates about baseball every now and then. I remember SC won back to back titles and then got swept by UK last season? Not saying SC is bad, it just kind of showed UK was better than I thought. UT seems to be down recently. I actually prefer watching softball to baseball. I kind of liked Horn, didn't he have a good record against UK? I don't mean to litter the thread with orange and white, maybe I should start a thread.

I'm sorry, but I will always hate Steve Spurrier.

I had no idea there was any notion of Clowney sitting out. That would be interesting. I heard something about an asteroid the size of a bus was headed toward earth, but I was told Clowney punched it and sent it back into space.

10. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    How's the baseball team looking this year? I haven't followed college football or baseball as of late.....I'm slacking.
    A little shaky out the gate. 3 errors and a weak bullpen performance against Liberty Friday kept it close. Just escaped with a 4-3 win. Yesterdays game was postponed due to bad weather so a double header today. The games will be streamed at GamecocksOnline so i get to sit in the comfort of a warm condo instead of freezing my nads off with the high for today expected to only be around 47 degrees.

LSU off to a good start. Even though their starting the season ranked #10, there hasn't been much talk about them that i've seen. Arkansas is getting all the attention this year. But no noise out of Baton Rouge is not a good thing.

12. The Following User High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I see updates about baseball every now and then. I remember SC won back to back titles and then got swept by UK last season? Not saying SC is bad, it just kind of showed UK was better than I thought. UT seems to be down recently. I actually prefer watching softball to baseball. I kind of liked Horn, didn't he have a good record against UK? I don't mean to litter the thread with orange and white, maybe I should start a thread.

I'm sorry, but I will always hate Steve Spurrier.

I had no idea there was any notion of Clowney sitting out. That would be interesting. I heard something about an asteroid the size of a bus was headed toward earth, but I was told Clowney punched it and sent it back into space.
    Kentucky jumped out the gate smoking hot last year starting 22-0. Pretty impressive no matter the schedule.

I liked Horn, but he was in over his head. Dave Odom left him some talent and he did ok with that. But when that talent graduated and slowly started to trickle out and he got his players on the court, the results were terrible. Horn was a gamble and unfortunately it didn't pay off. But we usually always play Kentucky tough no matter the coach. It just one of those games we've always been able to get up for in basketball.

That meteor was actually believed to be Vincent Smiths helmet finally coming back to earth.....

All colors are welcomed in this thread, and homerism is encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Kentucky jumped out the gate smoking hot last year starting 22-0. Pretty impressive no matter the schedule.

I liked Horn, but he was in over his head. Dave Odom left him some talent and he did ok with that. But when that talent graduated and slowly started to trickle out and he got his players on the court, the results were terrible. Horn was a gamble and unfortunately it didn't pay off. But we usually always play Kentucky tough no matter the coach. It just one of those games we've always been able to get up for in basketball.

That meteor was actually believed to be Vincent Smiths helmet finally coming back to earth.....

All colors are welcomed in this thread, and homerism is encouraged.
    I haven't seen it officially, but Bruce Pearl tweeted that no team has beaten Kentucky more than Tennessee. I'd have to look up the records to see that for sure. I haven't been watching ESPN, but I hear UT isn't getting any credit for stomping Kentucky because they lost Noel. We lost our big post guy for the year also. Yeah, he's not as good as Noel, but none of are recruiting classes have been as good as Cal's either. So, I'm sick of the excuses. Kentucky fans are awful bitter about it, from what I've seen so far. That's how they are though. The fact is, Tennessee beat the shit out of Kentucky lastnight and IT WAS AWESOME.

Looks like people are starting to realize who Cordarrelle Patterson is. It always amazes me how players can move up and down boards without even playing. Patterson has been killing teams all season. After the season was over, everyone still had Hunter over Patterson. And without doing anything, CP passed up Hunter and the rest of the WRs. Thank goodness we have a good WR class coming in. WRU will continue. Apparently there was a 5Star RB at the UK-UT basketball game. I bet that was a good atmosphere. We need to start bringing in some good RBs.

Tennessee softball is 9-0 and if they beat NCST again, they'll be 10-0 today. They're killing teams too. Yesterday, they beat USF, who was hosting the tourney and ranked #12. They shut them out 10-0.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Skinny, mark your calendar for April 26-28.........Gamecocks vs Tigers series.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I haven't seen it officially, but Bruce Pearl tweeted that no team has beaten Kentucky more than Tennessee. I'd have to look up the records to see that for sure. I haven't been watching ESPN, but I hear UT isn't getting any credit for stomping Kentucky because they lost Noel. We lost our big post guy for the year also. Yeah, he's not as good as Noel, but none of are recruiting classes have been as good as Cal's either. So, I'm sick of the excuses. Kentucky fans are awful bitter about it, from what I've seen so far. That's how they are though. The fact is, Tennessee beat the shit out of Kentucky lastnight and IT WAS AWESOME.

Looks like people are starting to realize who Cordarrelle Patterson is. It always amazes me how players can move up and down boards without even playing. Patterson has been killing teams all season. After the season was over, everyone still had Hunter over Patterson. And without doing anything, CP passed up Hunter and the rest of the WRs. Thank goodness we have a good WR class coming in. WRU will continue. Apparently there was a 5Star RB at the UK-UT basketball game. I bet that was a good atmosphere. We need to start bringing in some good RBs.

Tennessee softball is 9-0 and if they beat NCST again, they'll be 10-0 today. They're killing teams too. Yesterday, they beat USF, who was hosting the tourney and ranked #12. They shut them out 10-0.
    A lot of high expectations in Lexington and Tennessee is a huge rival. Fans are going to take that loss hard. Some harder than others and it makes the classy ones look bad unfortunately.

If Patterson can take to coaching like he took to playing at the next level from Juco he's going to be a special player. He's oozing with talent. If i had to pick between Patterson and Hunter, i'd take Patterson.

SC is in the works of building a new softball facility, Beckham Field. Suppose to start playing there in March. I've never been to a softball game but watched a few innings on t.v.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Skinny, mark your calendar for April 26-28.........Gamecocks vs Tigers series.
    Oh yeah. There's a few series i'm really looking forward too. LSU is always one of those.

SC took 2 out of 3 against Liberty over the weekend. The first game of the double header was a classic with Carolina down by 7 runs going into the 8th and stormed back scoring 8 runs in those final 2 innings to pull it out 8-7. We need to get our bats going earlier and the bullpen looks to be a bit of a concern early. We'll see how it plays out through the course of the season.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information