Thread: Bought a classic car

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	15237

Just still tweaking body lines and high/low spots. Bad weather is setting us back. Might not have time to get the color on before my buddy has to jet. If so he's going to come back in about 2 months to finish up.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Back in the booth for another coat of epoxy primer. We'll paint the interior and trunk tomorrow and then finish the car when Tony gets back down here.

As much as I wanted to get color on and finished this gives me time to ensure it's perfect before the paint goes on. It looks great in person. A few minor imperfections to take care of and the paint will lay down smooth as glass.

Name:	20191029_234418.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	15238

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

6. The Following 7 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Name:	received_697963874118013.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	17523

8. The Following 9 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post

Name:	received_697963874118013.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	17523
    Wow! Love the lines. Very impressed!

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

What's next broseph? Hopefully I can make it out to New Orleans man. I'd love to visit y'all and see the car. Maybe help you wrench on it. I do miss working on cars quite a bit.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

12. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    What's next broseph? Hopefully I can make it out to New Orleans man. I'd love to visit y'all and see the car. Maybe help you wrench on it. I do miss working on cars quite a bit.
    Ready for paint. As soon as she's painted I just need to put it all back together.

14. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Ready for paint. As soon as she's painted I just need to put it all back together.
    Beautiful. I don't remember what engine/trans combo you're going with.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

My first car was a '65. Total piece of shit. My father helped me buy it and I think was trying to teach me a lesson. It was only a few hundred dollars. Turned out, it didn't have working blinkers (I cobbled something together from JC Whitneys). There was a hole in the firewall where the heating core should have been. I put a piece of carpet over the hole and used a 12v heater/defroster, also from JC Whitney, to defrost the window, but didn't do diddly to keep the car warm in the winter. So, I kept an extra winter jacket in the car for the two winters I drove it.

Turned out the car could be started with a screw driver, rather than a key. The pin (???) that keeps the car from rolling when in park was sheared off, so only the parking brake kept it from rolling away. There was about 4-6" of play in the steering wheel, so when going over a road that had kind of whooop dee do bumps, every time I went over a bump, I had to turn the wheel to the right, because as the front end got light, the wheels would do their own thing and usually shoot the car to the left if the wheel was held straight.

What I thought I was getting is what Davii's finished project will be. What I got was far different. Still, I really liked the car and drove it for 18 months, maybe two years. But, I REALLY appreciated the '80 F100 I bought next in '87. Nothing fancy at all, but the inline 6 was reliable and it was a solid truck that hat luxuries like a heater.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    My first car was a '65. Total piece of shit. My father helped me buy it and I think was trying to teach me a lesson. It was only a few hundred dollars. Turned out, it didn't have working blinkers (I cobbled something together from JC Whitneys). There was a hole in the firewall where the heating core should have been. I put a piece of carpet over the hole and used a 12v heater/defroster, also from JC Whitney, to defrost the window, but didn't do diddly to keep the car warm in the winter. So, I kept an extra winter jacket in the car for the two winters I drove it.

Turned out the car could be started with a screw driver, rather than a key. The pin (???) that keeps the car from rolling when in park was sheared off, so only the parking brake kept it from rolling away. There was about 4-6" of play in the steering wheel, so when going over a road that had kind of whooop dee do bumps, every time I went over a bump, I had to turn the wheel to the right, because as the front end got light, the wheels would do their own thing and usually shoot the car to the left if the wheel was held straight.

What I thought I was getting is what Davii's finished project will be. What I got was far different. Still, I really liked the car and drove it for 18 months, maybe two years. But, I REALLY appreciated the '80 F100 I bought next in '87. Nothing fancy at all, but the inline 6 was reliable and it was a solid truck that hat luxuries like a heater.
    You bought a piece of shit (which exists with all makes and models). The 60's Mustangs were some of the greatest cars ever produced (price wise). Nearly all my siblings had one as their first car, and never experienced the stuff you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You bought a piece of shit (which exists with all makes and models). The 60's Mustangs were some of the greatest cars ever produced (price wise). Nearly all my siblings had one as their first car, and never experienced the stuff you're describing.
    Oh, I don't blame the mustang (if my post read like me thinking all Mustangs of that era ere pieces of shit, that wasn't what I meant), it was me knowing nothing about cars and buying the piece of shit. If I had a bit of mechanical skill, I would have worked to fix it up like Davii did. My wife's aunt and uncle have a beautiful '60s (not sure the year) convertible mustang. I don't have the skill to do what Davii's done, but have thought many times about buying one and working with a restorer or buying one already restored. Something about those early Mustangs I love. Like I said, I even loved driving the one I had with all its problems.

20. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Oh, I don't blame the mustang (if my post read like me thinking all Mustangs of that era ere pieces of shit, that wasn't what I meant), it was me knowing nothing about cars and buying the piece of shit. If I had a bit of mechanical skill, I would have worked to fix it up like Davii did. My wife's aunt and uncle have a beautiful '60s (not sure the year) convertible mustang. I don't have the skill to do what Davii's done, but have thought many times about buying one and working with a restorer or buying one already restored. Something about those early Mustangs I love. Like I said, I even loved driving the one I had with all its problems.
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Gotcha.
    I was so dumb back then (yea, I know you're thinking "back then?") that I didn't even go for a test drive. It was at a used car lot, and I told my father, "no, this is the one I want." ******* idiot, I was (said in Yoda voice).

23. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I was so dumb back then (yea, I know you're thinking "back then?") that I didn't even go for a test drive. It was at a used car lot, and I told my father, "no, this is the one I want." ******* idiot, I was (said in Yoda voice).
    High Fived for the "back then" comment!

25. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Beautiful. I don't remember what engine/trans combo you're going with.
    It's a 302 with the 4 speed toploader

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information