Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beef's First Round Mock

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Default Beef's First Round Mock

Let me know what you guys think. I worked on this all night. Thanks.

1. Kansas City Chiefs – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    Kansas City has a lot of off-season decisions to make, and with Andy Reid coming to town it’s hard to predict exactly what the Chiefs will do. They have tough decisions on three key first-round draft picks in the last five years – Dwayne Bowe, Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert, all of whom have underperformed for their draft slot. The obvious urge is to go with whatever quarterback the Chiefs see as the best quarterback in the draft, regardless of whether that quarterback is worthy of the No. 1 pick overall or not. Instead, early rumors are that the scouts for the Chiefs love Tyler Wilson, who did run a shotgun-based, spread offense for Arkansas and in theory could fit into an Andy Reid offense. However, I think the Chiefs could go quarterback in Round 2 and pick up the same caliber of talent as they would reaching for Wilson. Instead, I think the Chiefs turn to the offensive line, which seems to be deep in this draft. Albert never really panned out as the franchise LT the Chiefs hoped they would get when they drafted him in 2008. Joeckel is the best tackle in the draft and should be the LT of the future for any team that picks him. It also would allow the Chiefs to keep Albert and put him on the right side where there’s less pressure, and where he excelled in college at Virginia.

Alternative Picks – Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas; Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    The Jaguars are widely regarded as the team with the least amount of talent on both sides of the ball in the NFL. They, literally, could use upgrades at almost every position except tailback. Both Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert are likely to be back, so the urge to take quarterback may not be as strong for the Jaguars as other teams in the Top 10, even if those quarterbacks aren’t the future. Tyson Alualu was a reach in the first round for the Jaguars in 2010, and hasn’t yet lived up to his first-round status. Adding Lotulelei opposite Alualu might take some pressure off of Alualu. The Jaguars are in need of skill position talent, but it’s just not there in this draft. Alternatively, the Jaguars could use some pass rush, as they ranked dead last in sacks. Jarvis Jones is probably the most explosive defensive player in this draft, but both new coach Gus Bradley and defensive coordinator Bob Babich have traditional 4-3 backgrounds, so LSU’s Barkevious Mingo might be the pick if they are looking for more pass rush.

Alternative Picks – Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU; Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

3. Oakland Raiders – Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
    If Jarvis Jones makes it to the Oakland Raiders, I don’t think they hesitate. They were second to last in sacks in the NFL in 2012, and Dennis Allen’s 4-3 over scheme that he used in Denver would be perfect for Jarvis Jones. Jones isn’t a traditional 4-3 outside linebacker, and he’s not really big enough at 6-2, 242, to play end full time in the NFL. But he is a playmaker, and could cause havoc on the defensive side of the ball for the Raiders. The Raiders also need upgrades a lot of other positions. Chance Warmack would make sense, as the Raiders need as much help as they can get for Darren McFadden.

Alternative Picks – Chance Warmack, G, Alabama; Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

4. Philadelphia Eagles – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    The hiring of Chip Kelly is a complete wildcard in this draft, I think. The Eagles definitely need a quarterback, as Vick likely is gone and there’s no real proof that Foles is going to be the guy. The question is whether or not Kelly tries to institute an offense even remotely similar to that which he ran at Oregon. It’s likely that he’ll at least try, and there’s a quarterback in this draft who ran a similar system and is regarded as the best quarterback in the draft in Geno Smith. Now, I’m not sold on Geno Smith, but that doesn’t mean Kelly wouldn’t be. The Eagles have other needs, mostly along the offensive line and at safety, but I think Smith is the pick here.

Alternative Picks – Chance Warmack, G, Alabama; Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

5. Detroit Lions – Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
    The Lions need help at running back and in the secondary, for sure, but I’m not sure there is anyone available at those two positions you’d want to take at No. 5. That’s why I think Chance Warmack makes sense here. They can improve the run game by taking a guard and not have to gamble on reaching way too high for a running back.

Alternative Picks – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama; Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

6. Cleveland Browns – Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
    The Browns need more offensive help than they need defense, especially at wide receiver. But there are no wide receivers that will be taken in the Top 10 this year. So I think they turn to Barkevious Mingo. It’s been reported that the Browns are sticking with the 3-4 and Mingo’s athleticism would be a good fit for the 3-4, despite playing in a 4-3 in college.

Alternative Picks – Matt Barkley, QB, USC, Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M

7. Arizona Cardinals – Matt Barkley, QB, USC
    The Cardinals literally had one of the worst years of quarterback play (from four different quarterbacks) ever. They were atrocious. They need a quarterback like King needs cake. In fact, they need a quarterback so bad, I’m not even listing alternatives.

8. Buffalo Bills – Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
    There are four players at the top of this draft that are nearly identical. They are outside linebacker or defensive end hybrids in the mold of Von Miller. It’s hard to tell which of Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, Damontre Moore and Bjeorn Werner goes first in this draft. They are all athletic edge rushers. I think Jones is the best of the bunch, but it all comes down to how the general managers for each team think. It’s hard to see Moore falling to No. 8, but there are teams with other needs, even if these four might be the best four players in the draft.

Alternative Picks – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State; Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

9. New York Jets – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    The Jets need weapons on offense, and arguably a quarterback, but at this point I think Werner is the best player left on the board and the Jets were 25th in sacks in 2012. Werner should be able to come in and contribute early, and the 3-4 scheme might be perfect for Werner, who came off the edge in a 4-3 in college. As bad as the Jets offense is, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if this is the first real skill position reach of the draft, because there simply aren’t many high-level skill position players in this draft.

Alternative Picks – Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee; Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

10. Tennessee Titans – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    The Titans need safeties badly. Michael Griffin has not been spectacular, but I think the Titans give him one more chance and possibly sign a safety in free agency. If they don’t, they could certainly look at Kenny Vaccaro out of Texas. They also were atrocious along the offensive line in 2012, despite several former Pro Bowlers along the offensive line. But, Milliner is the best player on the board here, and the Titans need secondary help, whether it comes at corner or whether it comes at safety. Milliner reminds me a little of Cortland Finnigan, who moved on before 2012, and I think Milliner could fit in Tennessee.

Alternative Picks – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas; Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

11. San Diego Chargers – Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    The Chargers need better protection for Phillip Rivers. They also need help in the secondary, but with Milliner gone, I’d expect the Chargers to go after an offensive lineman. I think it would likely be Cooper, who would help anchor the line immediately at either guard position. Eric Fisher has been getting rave reviews in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, and he’s also an option here.

Alternative Picks – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

12. Miami Dolphins – Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    The Dolphins need weapons for Ryan Tannehill, especially if they don’t re-sign Reggie Bush. Taking a receiver at No. 12 might be reaching in this draft, but Hunter is a big, physical target which could help the Dolphins young quarterback. The Dolphins are also facing a decision with Jake Long becoming a free agent. If they don’t re-sign him, they could take an alternative route by taking Eric Fisher to replace him.

Alternative Picks – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan, Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    The Buccaneers need help in the secondary. Lots of it. I’d almost be shocked if they didn’t go with a secondary player, whether it is Banks from Mississippi State, Vaccaro from Texas or Logan Ryan from Rutgers. I would not be shocked if the Buccaneers weren’t a candidate for moving up to get Milliner. Side note: I haven’t mentioned it yet, but I think this could be a crazy draft in terms of trades in the first round because there just aren’t flashy, skill position players available early.

Alternative Picks – Ezekial Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU; Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

14. Carolina Panthers – Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    The Panthers need defensive tackles. It’s really as simple as that, and I think both Hankins and North Carolina’s Sylvester Williams are potentially available to the Panthers at No. 14. Both are big anchor-type players that would fit into 3-4 schemes, but could also play a mean anchor for a 4-3 line as well. Both played in a 4-3 in college.

Alternative Picks – Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina; Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

15. New Orleans Saints – Monti Te’o, ILB, Notre Dame
    Te’o is a top talent in this draft, however obvious off the field issues have arisen since the end of the season. The Saints have a tenured, somewhat controversial figure already at middle linebacker in Jonathan Vilma, as well as a solid veteran in Curtis Lofton. That actually gives the Saints a chance to go after Te’o who’s leadership could be called into question before this draft. He would have a chance to play weakside which, granted, he’s never done, but it would give him a chance to step away from the spotlight some and learn from two very good NFL linebackers.

Alternative Picks – Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina, Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

16. St. Louis Rams – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    The Rams have a lot of flexibility in the first round as they own picks No. 16 and No. 22, which they obtained through the Robert Griffin, III, trade. They could be a team that potentially trades up, or they could simply sit where they are acquire two more talented players. They need more weapons for quarterback Sam Bradford, and Steven Jackson isn’t getting younger. That said, again, this is a draft that’s not solid in the first round at skill positions. So, I think the Rams go for Vaccaro. After all, they’ve got another pick six picks later. For example, I doubt Vaccaro is available at No. 22, whereas Keenan Allen will likely be available at No. 22 (This is what they call foreshadowing – albeit not very subtly).

Alternative Picks – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan; Keenan Allen, WR, California

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    The Steelers have to go offensive line, right? If Eric Fisher really does make it this far, I think the Steelers jump. They need depth on the offensive line as the team struggled to protect Roethlisberger (who, granted, doesn’t help himself much). Now, David DeCastro will finally be healthy enough to have his NFL debut and Maurkice Pouncey is a great center, but a little help on the outside would go a long way to solving their running and pass protection problems.

Alternative Picks – Keenan Allen, WR, California; Ezekial Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU

18. Dallas Cowboys – Ezekial Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU
    Who really knows what the hell Jerry Jones is going to do? That said, the Cowboys are switching to a 4-3, cover two, as Monte Kiffin comes to town. I think Ansah could be a great addition for the Cowboys to bookend DeMarcus Ware. The Cowboys need help at safety, but I think that might be addressed in free agency, and along the interior of the offensive line.

Alternative Picks – Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

19. New York Giants – Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
    The Giants need help at linebacker and at tackle. With Fisher going off the board a few picks ahead of the Giants, they’d likely turn to Ogletree at linebacker, or possibly Anthony Barr or Kevin Minter to upgrade a linebacking crew that didn’t play very well in 2012 and has several free agents.

Alternative Picks – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

20. Chicago Bears – Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia
    Taking Aboushi this high would be a reach for the Bears, but he's the best offensive lineman on the board at this point. Their needs go as such: left tackle, right guard, right tackle, left guard, center – OK, so that was being a little facetious, but the Bears really need offensive line help if they want Jay Cutler to see his 31st birthday.

Alternative Picks – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

21. Cincinnati Bengals – Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    The Bengals don’t really need a defensive tackle, but at this point, Sylvester Williams is the best player on the board, and the Bengals are actually in a position to go Best Player Available.

Alternative Picks – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA; Keenan Allen, WR, California

22. St. Louis Rams – Keenan Allen, WR, California
    And…coming through on my weak attempt at foreshadowing the Rams add a big, physical wide receiver for Sam Bradford.

Alternative Picks – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee; Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

23. Minnesota Vikings – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    Plain and simple, the Vikings need more weapons on offense to help out Christian Ponder and to alleviate the pressure of Adrian Peterson having to carry the entire team. There are some other needs, especially at linebacker, but there are some good wide receivers late in the first round that could contribute immediately for the Vikings.

Alternate Picks – Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia; Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

24. Indianapolis Colts – Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    The Colts need some young pass rushers. Dwight Freeney is a free agent and Jerry Hughes has done nothing so far. And, Dion Jordan is the best player on the board at this point.

Alternative Picks – Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

25. Seattle Seahawks – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    I know Johnathan Jenkins is still on the board, but Richardson has a better chance of becoming the interior pass rusher and line penetrator than Jenkins, and he could complement Brandon Mebane well. Tavon Austin is also still on the board and could add some speed in the slot for Russell Wilson.

Alternative Picks – Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia; Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

26. Green Bay Packers – Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
    The Packers need a bookend for Clay Matthews, and Montgomery could be that guy. The Packers, as are many teams at the back end of the first round of the draft, are talented enough to be inclined to take the best player available regardless of position so that could mean Jonathan Jenkins of Georgia, who would likely play DE in the Dom Capers 3-4.

Alternative Picks – Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia; Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

27. Houston Texans – Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    The Texans need another pass threat opposite Andre Johnson and Tavon Austin could be that guy. He has a ton of speed and would be an upgrade from any other wide receiver on the roster. The Texans need defensive help, and could get some with Kevin Minter or possibly Johnathan Jenkins or Matt Elam, but I really do think they target a speedy wide receiver if Tavon Austin or Robert Woods are available.

Alternative Picks – Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU; Robert Woods, WR, USC

28. Denver Broncos – Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
    If – and this is a huge if – both Johnathan Jenkins and Kevin Minter make it to No. 28, I think the Broncos have a huge dilemma on their hands, because both positions are of extreme need. Kevin Vickerson and Justin Bannan filled in well at defensive tackle in 2012 and Keith Brookings and D.J. Williams played decently at middle linebacker, but the team needs an upgrade at both positions. I like Minter; some will probably disagree with me.

Alternative Picks – Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia; Matt Elam, S, Florida

29. New England Patriots – Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia
    The Patriots need a young anchor to the defensive line as Vince Wilfork ages. Jenkins is the perfect fit, because he anchored Georgia’s 3-4 defense in college. I could see the Patriots snagging Anthony Barr, if he was still available too, but Jenkins makes the most sense if he happens to still be on the board.

Alternative Picks – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA; Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn

30. Atlanta Falcons – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
    At this point, Barr is the best player available on the board, and the Falcons simply need the best defensive player available. The Falcons could also use the help of Corey Lemonier of Auburn, or Kawann Short of Purdue.

Alternative Picks – Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn; Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

31. Baltimore Ravens – Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida*
    Floyd would play defensive end in the Ravens 3-4 scheme, and would be a good fit. However, there’s some big questions in the offseason with Ed Reed and Joe Flacco up for free agency if they don’t re-sign, and of course the Ravens have to replace Ray Lewis. It’s possible that the Ravens hedge their bets at quarterback, though I doubt it. Matt Elam is another possible pick, and Kevin Reddick is the best middle linebacker on the board at this point but that would be a reach.

Alternative Picks – Matt Elam, S, Florida; Kevin Riddick, ILB, North Carolina

32. San Francisco 49ers – Kawann Short, DT, Purdue*
    The 49ers are in the enviable position of just taking best player available because they have such a young team. They could obviously use some more offensive weapons, but that doesn’t seem to be this teams M.O. I have them taking Kawann Short, the best player still available on the board.

Alternative Picks – Matt Elam, S, Florida; Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn

2. The Following 13 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Maybe you should have spent two nights on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

4. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Hey, I took the time to bang this out. Don't throw glasses at rock houses.

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I like your thought process here. A lot of good detailed info - didn't know you had it in you.

Any idea how this one squares with MUG's mock? His are allegedly excellent.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

This draft is so much better than that dope MO's. Hey MO, why don't you study what Beef does then pull your head out of your ass and be more like him?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Once u get past that it seems to be written at about a 7th grade level it's a decent mock.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Jayson Blair formally of the NY Times helped with the verbiage.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Hi Beef. It appears you've put a substantial amount of time and effort into this thread. I for one appreciate that very much. Some of these other guys posting here are real slackers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Maybe you should have spent two nights on it.
    Where the hell is yours Mr. Critical???

16. The Following User High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    Thanks LTC. It is weird. You put effort to add content to the site, and all you do is get slammed. Like why even bother?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The same place Beef's is....in the toilet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Thanks LTC. It is weird. You put effort to add content to the site, and all you do is get slammed. Like why even bother?
    It's sad, but some on this board are just conditioned to unzip their pants and pee. Mommy should have taught them different

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

It's sad, but some on this board are just conditioned to unzip their pants and pee. Mommy should have taught them different
    I heard Slim sits down to pee.

22. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Outrageous and hurtful and uncalled for!

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I like your thought process here. A lot of good detailed info - didn't know you had it in you.

Any idea how this one squares with MUG's mock? His are allegedly excellent.
    I'll go beyond that. As one who never got along with MUG (an understatement),
    I'll say that his mocks are legendary.

Anyway, I'm impressed with this mock. Whom did you pay, Beef?

If Minter joins the Broncos, I won't be above clicking my heels (though at my
    age I might have to sit down to do it). If he is gone, though, along with
    Jenkins (if still there), I would take a long gander at CB Xavier Rhodes. The
    guy looks as if he can cover and tackle, and he has speed, great size, and
    mega-hops, and Champ isn't immortal.
    Last edited by topscribe; 01-28-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information