Page 78 of 128 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

I own the poker book by PHM Jr. That was the best book on the game I ever read, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I own the poker book by PHM Jr. That was the best book on the game I ever read, to be honest.
    Great game. I miss letting my buddies help improve my scotch collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Great game. I miss letting my buddies help improve my scotch collection.
    I used to....

I don't like that we are this similar.

NEMESIS! DO NOT MOCK ME!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I used to....

I don't like that we are this similar.

NEMESIS! DO NOT MOCK ME!
    Did you see my nature books?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Did you see my nature books?
    Thank god....wait a minute...I love Ric Flair...the NATURE BOY!

Are you a wizard?

Mindsight by .... I forget the author. about 20% into it. pretty good/well written/science based. basiclally how we respond to things and how we might be more likely to control that response by recognizing how the brain works.

it was referred to me by Val years ago, apparently Val thinks I'm some type of psycho.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

I'm digging into the broken empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Not sure where I'm going after that. I'm really running out of new material....

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm digging into the broken empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Not sure where I'm going after that. I'm really running out of new material....
    Have you read the Lev Grossman series?

Have you read the Lev Grossman series?
    No, but I can add that to the list to try out.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Hows about this one: Pick 5 books in your collection or otherwise that you would recommend and why.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

No, but I can add that to the list to try out.
    Don't, it sucks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Hows about this one: Pick 5 books in your collection or otherwise that you would recommend and why.
    I'm game. I love books.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170308_214810.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	10309

The Making of the Atomic Bomb is the best nonfiction I have read in my life. It tells the story of what man is capable of, and it's not fiction. I read it like you would expect someone to read a James Patterson thriller.

The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve can be eye opening, even if you take it with a grain of salt. The circumstantial evidence presented alongside episodes like the Lusitania is great food for thought. Important background for being a citizen of the country that prints the global reserve currency.

The Prize is about oil, and if you don't understand the depth to which our current civilization is shaped by oil, you need to read this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170308_214908.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	10310

Of Human Bondage is the best written book in the English language, and my favorite.

The modern writer who has influenced me most is W. Somerset Maugham ~ George Orwell
    The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy because he is the best American author and while The Road and Blood Meridian might be better individual books, this is the better experience.

Y The Last Man is a comic book series, graphic novel, whatever, by Brian K. Vaughan, and it's the best I've encountered, better even than Walking Dead.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I can't easily pick just 5 books, so these are my top 5 series.

Mistborn Trilogy's (there are two of them) by Brandon Sanderson. He's an absolutely incredible writer. I'm a big fan of fantasy/Sci-fi and his systems of magic are always extremely unique and interesting. In Mistborn, the characters gain abilities by ingesting metal shavings. Different people can gain different abilities by ingesting and "burning" a metal that corresponds with their abilities.

Stormlight Archive By Brandon Sanderson. Again, Sanderson's an incredible writer. His worlds and characters are very immersive and really suck you in.

Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (finished by Sanderson) Great series from start to finish, it drags a bit in the middle, but Sanderson did a great job of finishing it off. I actually read this before I read anything else by Sanderson and it was what turned me onto him as a writer.

Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. The series starts out a bit slow, but builds into an incredibly well written series with strong characters. He still has at least one more book left to finish the series which was originally a trillogy, but has been expanded.

The Night Angel Series by Brent Weeks. This one is interesting because Weeks also has a very creative way around his systems of magic and the story is very interesting (basically it's the story of a magical assassin)

I tend to enjoy long overarching tales. Honorable mention, the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. The only reason it didn't make the top 5 is it starts strong and finishes very poorly. I tend to imagine that the series ended before the new trilogy began because the new on just doesn't hold up with the original series.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

If I was gonna recommend 5 books:

Tattoos On the Heart by Greg Boyle - Funny and sad book about gangbangers trying to make their lives better. Inspirational read.

First Off the Tee by Don Van Natta Jr - Entertaining book about presidents, their golfing habits, and what it says about them.

The Rap Year Book by Shea Serrano - This guy picks what he considers the most important Rap song each year since 1979 or 1980 or something like that. Fun read if you like music history.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway - My favorite novel (novella?). Goes quickly, straightforward story, terse writing. I love Hemingway.

Five Came Back by Mark Harris - Harris discusses five major film directors who made films for and/or about World War II as it was going on (US version of propaganda, I suppose). He details the making of the movies, and how it related to what was going on overseas. I like reading about films so I enjoyed this one.

19. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I can't easily pick just 5 books, so these are my top 5 series.

Mistborn Trilogy's (there are two of them) by Brandon Sanderson. He's an absolutely incredible writer. I'm a big fan of fantasy/Sci-fi and his systems of magic are always extremely unique and interesting. In Mistborn, the characters gain abilities by ingesting metal shavings. Different people can gain different abilities by ingesting and "burning" a metal that corresponds with their abilities.

Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (finished by Sanderson) Great series from start to finish, it drags a bit in the middle, but Sanderson did a great job of finishing it off. I actually read this before I read anything else by Sanderson and it was what turned me onto him as a writer.
    I enjoyed the first mistborn trilogy, but I couldn't get into the second one. I like Sanderson, he's a fine writer. I started with Elantris. I gave up on the Jordan series 2/3 through book 7.

Have you read the Steven Erikson books?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information