Page 124 of 128 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I think I'm ready to read Parasite. I'll let you know what I think.
    Don't give all of your attention to a brilliant film on my account!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I dropped acid one time because a friend of mine kept after me. He was bit younger and had just returned from Iraq, had severe PTSD issues. Said LSD was the only thing that worked for him and made a world of difference. He cracked his spine or something, idk.

Anyways, I don't know what I think about all of it, but just thought I'd share.
    I’m going to dig into some of the research and studies he touches on in the book. It’s interesting because the main thing that the experiences have in common is that they remove the ego and the id and force you to literally see yourself in a new way. I guess it’s similar to how sometimes dreams are a way we deal with stuff we can’t process consciously.

Like, when you eat a mushroom and talk with satan and Jesus with a 3rd person view of yourself while floating in the Pillars of Creation where you can “see” math, you are going to learn some real shit about yourself.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Don't give all of your attention to a brilliant film on my account!
    Is it better than Rapture-Palooza?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Is it better than Rapture-Palooza?
    It has subtitles, so...no.

But if you are in a certain mood, it's absolutely the shit. It's a hell of a good movie.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.

Really interesting breakdown of how psychedelic drugs are creating breakthroughs in mental health treatments for things like depression and PTSD. Goes into the history and the authors personal experiences. Makes me want to do drugs... in a good way!
    Pollan was on the longform podcast months (maybe a year?) ago and it was one of my favorites. Super interesting dude.

So the John Sandford book ended up disappointing.

The book I am finishing now though...

I am in love. It's bad man.
    c'mon man what is it?

iin general, f I find a book potentially disappointing I dont' finish it

I dropped acid one time because a friend of mine kept after me. He was bit younger and had just returned from Iraq, had severe PTSD issues. Said LSD was the only thing that worked for him and made a world of difference. He cracked his spine or something, idk.

Anyways, I don't know what I think about all of it, but just thought I'd share.
    I'm glad you did. this is a safe place Hawg. did your friend get mad when you dropped the acid? some people can be pretty protective of their drugs

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoNut View Post
    I'm glad you did. this is a safe place Hawg. did your friend get mad when you dropped the acid? some people can be pretty protective of their drugs
    I caught it with my foot before it hit the floor!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

c'mon man what is it?

iin general, f I find a book potentially disappointing I dont' finish it
    The book was The Glass House by Emily St. John Mandel.

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

The book was The Glass House by Emily St. John Mandel.
    ithanks, mma gonna look this up. it's been awhile since a read really took me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

ithanks, mma gonna look this up. it's been awhile since a read really took me.
    It's got a bunch of Ponzi scheme financial stuff that bores most readers...I loved it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I really just love the author though--her voice.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Ordered this book

I think this podcast is by the same guy:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...s/id1494336314
    Finally got this one finished. If you like pop culture and music you'll like it. Light and fun reading. Here's a list of the chapters. I've bolded the ones I was particularly interested in:

Oasis vs Blur
    Nirvana vs Pearl Jam
    Prince vs Michael Jackson
    White Stripes vs Black Keys
    Taylor Swift vs Kanye West
    Beatles vs Stones
    Eric Clapton vs Jimi Hendrix
    Sinead O'Connor vs Miley Cyrus
    Roger Waters vs the Rest of Pink Floyd
    Smashing Pumpkins vs Pavement
    Madonna vs Cyndi Lauper and Britney Spears vs Christina Aguilera
    Neil Young vs Lynyrd Skynyrd

Biggie vs Tupac
    Toby Keith vs the Dixie Chicks

"I'm just more attracted to the Stones. The Beatles are the person you want to marry, and the Stones are the person you want to ****. If I could marry a band, I would be a Beatles person. But our society has not yet recognized person-rock band marriage rights. I guess you can't have sex with a band, either, but 'Sticky Fingers' is the closest that rock music gets to sex, so I'm a Stones guy."

"Your taste in music isn't really all that important when it comes to defining who you are as a person. It's not unimportant, particularly if the music you love forms a crucial part of how you view yourself. And it's certainly a fun topic to think and argue about. But if studying these rivalries teaches us anything, it's that what matters and what we believe matters in life often don't line up. In fact, our stupid beliefs can be the very thing that keeps us from realizing what's really real, which is that people are generally more similar than dissimilar and that we all want basically the same thing, which is for other people to like (or at least understand) us."

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Finally got this one finished. If you like pop culture and music you'll like it. Light and fun reading. Here's a list of the chapters. I've bolded the ones I was particularly interested in:

Oasis vs Blur
    Nirvana vs Pearl Jam
    Prince vs Michael Jackson
    White Stripes vs Black Keys
    Taylor Swift vs Kanye West
    Beatles vs Stones
    Eric Clapton vs Jimi Hendrix
    Sinead O'Connor vs Miley Cyrus
    Roger Waters vs the Rest of Pink Floyd
    Smashing Pumpkins vs Pavement
    Madonna vs Cyndi Lauper and Britney Spears vs Christina Aguilera
    Neil Young vs Lynyrd Skynyrd

Biggie vs Tupac
    Toby Keith vs the Dixie Chicks

"I'm just more attracted to the Stones. The Beatles are the person you want to marry, and the Stones are the person you want to ****. If I could marry a band, I would be a Beatles person. But our society has not yet recognized person-rock band marriage rights. I guess you can't have sex with a band, either, but 'Sticky Fingers' is the closest that rock music gets to sex, so I'm a Stones guy."

"Your taste in music isn't really all that important when it comes to defining who you are as a person. It's not unimportant, particularly if the music you love forms a crucial part of how you view yourself. And it's certainly a fun topic to think and argue about. But if studying these rivalries teaches us anything, it's that what matters and what we believe matters in life often don't line up. In fact, our stupid beliefs can be the very thing that keeps us from realizing what's really real, which is that people are generally more similar than dissimilar and that we all want basically the same thing, which is for other people to like (or at least understand) us."
    There are probably thousands of groupies who would disagree with this statement.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Radical Candor by Kim Scott. Leadership books make me roll my eyes sometimes. There are some good lessons to be had but they try to present their books as the only way to lead at times.

There are certainly guidelines, but not so many rules.

A lot of it, for me, is more about framing my leadership experience in a civilian or corporate context.

This book is good so far, I'm enjoying it, but it comes down to honesty and trust more than anything.

I'm mostly learning the lingo and language buzzwords from this one so I can speak to it with a boss I know loves the book. I don't see any negative leadership lessons in here so that's a start as it seems so many of these books lose me two chapters in to what I feel is just bad leadership advice.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information