Page 125 of 128 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Radical Candor by Kim Scott. Leadership books make me roll my eyes sometimes. There are some good lessons to be had but they try to present their books as the only way to lead at times.

There are certainly guidelines, but not so many rules.

A lot of it, for me, is more about framing my leadership experience in a civilian or corporate context.

This book is good so far, I'm enjoying it, but it comes down to honesty and trust more than anything.

I'm mostly learning the lingo and language buzzwords from this one so I can speak to it with a boss I know loves the book. I don't see any negative leadership lessons in here so that's a start as it seems so many of these books lose me two chapters in to what I feel is just bad leadership advice.
    I like Tim Ferriss's work in the leadership genre. I got really into his podcast a few years ago and haven't really gone back - but he was who turned my onto Jocko and a bunch of other world class performers. It's interesting to hear what works for each of them and draw commonalities.

His Tools of Titans books is one I'd like to circle back to at some point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Shining - King. I'm 1/2 into it or so.

My first time reading it. It's got this topiary scene... legit unsettling. Might be the high point of all his work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Just starting the Beastie Boys Book.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I just ordered "Panzram - A Journal Of Murder" by Thomas Gaddis. I'm really excited to read this book.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Reading a lot of start up and story brand books right now. My boss, myself and a co-worker have developed commercial real estate search and marketing software. Getting ready to test out our first market.

6. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Reading a lot of start up and story brand books right now. My boss, myself and a co-worker have developed commercial real estate search and marketing software. Getting ready to test out our first market.
    Check out Scaling Up by Verne Harnish. Right now, don't pass go.

8. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Check out Scaling Up by Verne Harnish. Right now, don't pass go.
    Ordering now!

10. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

The Shining - King. I'm 1/2 into it or so.

My first time reading it. It's got this topiary scene... legit unsettling. Might be the high point of all his work.
    That is one of my favorite books, really good! I love the movie but i can see why it pissed King off.

12. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    That is one of my favorite books, really good! I love the movie but i can see why it pissed King off.
    It's so rare when a book genuinely unnerves me. Love it!!

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Finally getting back into the The Three Body Problem trilogy. The second book is kind of dense until you get wrapped up in it, but then it's outstanding.

Thinky si-fi. I'm loving the 'Wallfacer Project' and sophons (sophons were introduced in the first book, but are a great example of the kind of brain candy found in the book). I'll put a description of sophons in spoilers if you don't think you'll ever read the book.

Different people will have different experiences, but for those, like me, who process what they read by converting it into mental images of what’s happening, there simply isn’t a way to make any sense of a single proton being unfolded into a two-dimensional planet mirror so huge that circuitry lines made out of mesons are etched into it, turning it into a kind of subatomic computer in possession of sentience. And this is only in a two-dimensional plane. The sophon, the name given to this invention, eventually folds itself into multiple higher dimensions until it reaches the eleventh. I won’t even get started on how multiple civilizations are apparently living in the dimensionless reality inside the eleven dimensions of every proton. It ruins any enjoyment that might have been had if I can’t even imagine what it’s actually happening. I’m a physics student and I read through that whole section with barely a hint of understanding.
    ^^Whoever wrote this review has a limited imagination.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I just ordered "Panzram - A Journal Of Murder" by Thomas Gaddis. I'm really excited to read this book.
    This book is a must read for anyone interested in serial killer type stuff.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This book is a must read for anyone interested in serial killer type stuff.
    Who isn't fascinated by it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Who isn't fascinated by it?
    I have no idea, but this book is mind blowing. The way its written is brilliant too. The author uses transcripts from conversations Panzram had with a prison guard for a lot of the book and only interjects to add further findings of detail and corroboration to accentuate the story.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Henderson the Rain King
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I have no idea, but this book is mind blowing. The way its written is brilliant too. The author uses transcripts from conversations Panzram had with a prison guard for a lot of the book and only interjects to add further findings of detail and corroboration to accentuate the story.
    I don't mean to gloat, but I sounded really smart in that post.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information