Page 117 of 128 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Right away I tried to find a downloadable audio from the library. They had one title, but it was #2 in a series. It was called The God Gene I think.

Would you start with RJ#1? What about the Keep?
    The Keep is one of my favorite books of all time and the rest of his stuff is really great.

Here's the order to read:

THE KEEP (Adversary Cycle)
    REBORN (Adversary Cycle)
    REPRISAL (Adversary Cycle)
    THE TOMB (Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack #1)
    LEGACIES (Repairman Jack #2)
    CONSPIRACIES (Repairman Jack #3)
    ALL THE RAGE (Repairman Jack #4)
    HOSTS (Repairman Jack #5)
    THE HAUNTED AIR (Repairman Jack #6)
    GATEWAYS (Repairman Jack #7)
    CRISSCROSS (Repairman Jack #8)
    INFERNAL (Repairman Jack #9)
    HARBINGERS (Repairman Jack #10)
    BLOODLINE (Repairman Jack #11)
    THE TOUCH (Repairman Jack #12)
    BY THE SWORD (Repairman Jack #13)
    GROUND ZERO (Repairman Jack #14)
    FATAL ERROR (Repairman Jack #15)
    DARK AT THE END (Repairman Jack #16)
    NIGHTWORLD (Adversary Cycle)

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Just finished Flea’s (yes THAT Flea) memoir Acid For The Children and was really impressed. It’s not as breezy as Springsteen’s book I read last year, but it carries a greater emotional weight and a much more personal view into his life. From his early childhood in Australia to his street rat drug fueled days in the early 80’s L.A. music scene it paints the picture of a man who despite all his troubles and demons never turned his back on the beauty and passion that makes life worth living.

Great book for those who like good memoirs. I loved how most chapters in the nearly 400 pages are just a few pages long of stories or vignettes of a time in his life. Feels literally like reading a stream of consciousness at times.

4. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Have you read wonderland avenue?

Greatest rock n roll book I ever read

It describes the excess of the late 60s beautifully and makes me want to take a load of ludes

6. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Have you read wonderland avenue?

Greatest rock n roll book I ever read

It describes the excess of the late 60s beautifully and makes me want to take a load of ludes
    Will have to check it out. I like how honest Flea was in this book about the drugs he took and how they made him feel. He fully recognizes Heroin and Cocaine as synthetic demons but seems partial to beautifully laying out the wonders of marijuana and psychedelics! He also pulls some bullshit at the end where he talks about meditation and how you don't need drugs but I know what part he really wanted me to focus on!

One thing I kept doing in his book was stopping and looking at the locations in L.A. he mentioned on Google maps and checking out the streetview because he would give pretty good exact locations. It was easy to see the world he was painting and makes me really wish I could experience Southern California in the late 70's and early 80's. Maybe there is some kind of drug that will help me get an approximation of that.

8. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I've been on a big of a graphic novel kick. I've read a couple Joker books and am reading The Killing Joke right now, it's probably only about a 45 minute read but I like to slow down and admire the art a little more so it takes longer than it should.

Ive ordered The Boys omnibus vol.1&2 from eBay based on my love of the show on Amazon Prime. So I'll start reading that when it gets here.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I've been on a big of a graphic novel kick. I've read a couple Joker books and am reading The Killing Joke right now, it's probably only about a 45 minute read but I like to slow down and admire the art a little more so it takes longer than it should.

Ive ordered The Boys omnibus vol.1&2 from eBay based on my love of the show on Amazon Prime. So I'll start reading that when it gets here.
    The Boys is Ennis, right? He's such a master of the medium. Tell me what you think. I used to be addicted to graphic novels about 10 yrs ago or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Last one I almost got into was Transmetropolitan. I really need to resume that one. It's a Warren Ellis. I get him and Ennis confused at times.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I peg you as a Sandman fan, Hawg

15. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I peg you as a Sandman fan, Hawg
    Never read it. That's Neil G., right? For some reason I don't like him that much. He's ok, just a bit too...light in the loafers. Too much Proust, not enough McCarthy. Not a homo thing, more like a gravitas thing. Too whimsical.

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Our friendship is growing. The Killing Joke is so ******* good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Never read it. That's Neil G., right? For some reason I don't like him that much. He's ok, just a bit too...light in the loafers. Too much Proust, not enough McCarthy. Not a homo thing, more like a gravitas thing. Too whimsical.
    I can totally see that too. The funny thing is I constantly push things like Watchmen and Kick Ass on my son and Neil G on my daughter.

21. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I can totally see that too. The funny thing is I constantly push things like Watchmen and Kick Ass on my son and Neil G on my daughter.
    I know I'm an art fag like you but also like you I kick some serious ass.

Case in point!

I'm doing this BJJ thing and the other day I was rolling with this dude who had me by about 20 pounds and was all muscle and much more experienced but I still went from disadvantage to neutral...really made my day bc I thought I was going to get brutally owned. Reminded me that I like to be angry and in the fray, and that I'm good at it. Kind of cleansing.

But I digress and speak too highly of myself.

23. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

While i dont read a whole lot because of time, etc i am enjoying this book which was written by a good friend of mine in the UK. She has a few other horror and thriller books in her arsenal as well.

25. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    While i dont read a whole lot because of time, etc i am enjoying this book which was written by a good friend of mine in the UK. She has a few other horror and thriller books in her arsenal as well.

How do I enjoy this?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

How do I enjoy this?
    What do you mean? How do you get it? I think its available on kindle, etc. I bought a paperback of it personally. Here is her site,

http://www.louyardley.com

28. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information